Best around 100$ budget bookshelf?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wolf View Post

We did a $150 'Black Box' theme for InDIYana one year, drivers and xovers. It's really difficult to know where to place your caveats or pick the blemishes that are allowed at that price point. I asked how many of the crowd did something they normally would not have done, and everyone that participated raised their hands.

Later,
    Wolf
    Thanks Wolf, that's interesting.

Such a low budget would really test driver selection, crossover magic and woodworking skills; did the entries sound "good", or "good speaker for the money"?

It could be done here (Oz) but the budget would have to be A$200 given the higher component and MDF costs relative to the States. The cheapest DIY 'kit' (including drivers, ports, CNC cabinet and terminals) I've seen here is $160, it has one driver and no crossover!

The cheapest build I've done, a Peerless and VIFA TM, cost about $250 and sounds OK, but I borrowed the original concept from a DIY Audio member project, the cabinet design from bolland83's "Lil Dillos" and PETT members, including yourself, bolland83 and Chris Roemer, provided their usual excellent and friendly advice on the crossover. So, in no way was it 'my design'.

The drivers were on sale and the MDF cost me A$70 including CNC cutting but not routing. If I had a table saw the cost could have been reduced to just over $200. They don't sound as good as my Tritrix or Classix II but they're OK for the money, certainly better than any new commercial speaker I've heard for the price.

Geoff

Comment

Yar, Wolf let a buyout into the fray for blackbox, his fvkup, shoulda wrote the rules a little less ambiguous as he had had a hard-on against other buyouts.
      Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

To my knowledge, I did not. Dave's woofers were not buyouts, and were available at time of contest. It isn't ambiguous, as it's always stated 'no buyouts' on the website and in threads.

Wolf
        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
        http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post

We did a $150 'Black Box' theme for InDIYana one year, drivers and xovers. It's really difficult to know where to place your caveats or pick the blemishes that are allowed at that price point. I asked how many of the crowd did something they normally would not have done, and everyone that participated raised their hands.

Later,
          Wolf

My "Arias" were intended for that contest. I didn't get to go that year, but I'm told that those speakers would have fared well had they been present. Maybe check them out. The drivers are still available, I believe.
          DARPA Jr - 2015 InDIYana Winner - RS180-8 + RS100P-8 + ND25FA
          The Aria's - RS150-4 (or RS150-8) + XT25SC90
          The Mariposa's - TEBM65C20F-8 + ND16FA
          The Canzonetta's - RS100P-8 and ND16FA
          AudioSource AMP-100 Mods OR Pyle PAMP1000 Mods

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
            Yar, Wolf let a buyout into the fray for blackbox, his fvkup, shoulda wrote the rules a little less ambiguous as he had had a hard-on against other buyouts.
            Johnny, there seems to be some verbal distortion corrupting your comments...maybe a bit of tuning (editing) can clean up your signal. I would appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by tyger23 View Post

My "Arias" were intended for that contest. I didn't get to go that year, but I'm told that those speakers would have fared well had they been present. Maybe check them out. The drivers are still available, I believe.
              The Arias look really nice: it looks like they would sound "good" rather than 'good. considering the price'. The RS150 seems to go pretty low for what's in effect a 4" woofer.

I heard it in a Dayton RS621 kit and it was very detailed and clean, but to me lacked a bit of 'warmth'. It really showed up poor recordings but sounded great with jazz and classics.

Geoff

Comment

Hey guys,

Before I built the overnight sensations, I thought $100 was a lot for speakers, and I didn't know what an amplifier was, much less a tweeter, woofer, or Mills resistor.

After building my friend's speakers (as a present), I was blown away and deeply grateful. It's like eating Jiro's sushi after living on stale convenience store "sushi", or making your own gaucamole for the first time.

I was so blown away that I decided to break my "don't promise to build a guitar for someone vow" in gratitude to Paul.

About the same time, I made myself a pair of Quarks...and bought a better amplifier with a DAC.

My budget for speakers is slowly getting bigger as my appreciation and tastes are getting better.

While I may never design my own set of speakers (not enough time or money), I am deeply grateful for the designers and suppliers that let me enjoy this sound.

.....also, it's nice to match great sounding speakers to the decore.

Comment

Let me chime in here with praise for Scott S.'s Mercury design http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...32253-Mercury=. I recently completed a pair and with the then discounted HiVi M5N drivers, the economical PE brand inductors and the NPE caps he originally used in Wolf's InDIYana "black box" competition. My total cost for all parts was $95.00. If one ordered the parts today using poly caps and non-discounted M5Ns the total parts cost for a pair would be $125.72.
                  These speakers are a definite step up from my Overnight Sensations (which are very nice themselves) ; more bass, more detail and more transparency.
                  I am interested in all aspects of speaker design and building, but as a person who has been frugal my whole life, "bang for the buck" designs have a special place in my heart even though I can afford somewhat more upscale designs presently.

Best,
                  Jay

Comment

Working...
                  X