X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THIS is a challenge....

Hi,
    Now I really need comments on a new situation:

I plan to replace the two tiny speakers that supply sound to my TV-set. There is a “sub”-woofer and I have measured the XO frequency to be abt 300 Hz, so I will design two speakers, to handle from ca 300 Hz and upwards.

Now, look at the attached pictures. As you can see, I have a hard-wood-floor, with ideal reflecting properties.

I have calculated the difference in signal-path to be abt 29 cm and I realize that this will result in some kind of combing effect.

What do you suggest that I do in this situation? Design a good pair of speakers from 200 Hz and upwards and neglect the floor-bounce? Take the bounce into account? (but how?). Buy a fluffy mat?

Is it really possible to design a speaker that correct for this?

Regards//lasse
    Perry Mason talking to his dentist:

"Do you swear to take the tooth, the whole tooth and nothing but the tooth, so help you God?"

Originally posted by lasse View Post
    ... Buy a fluffy mat?...
    This ( absorb the sound ).
    The distance (29cm) has a varying relationship with wavelengths ( that vary ); from constructive to destructive.

"Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
    "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Get carpet/rug on the floor. The floor bounce is the least of your problems. As to crossing over from a sub at 300Hz, that's not a good idea. You can't properly place a sub that plays into the directionally locatable frequencies.
      www.billfitzmaurice.com
      www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Looking at these photos makes me wonder if you have furniture, speakers on the floor and the TV can't be more than 3ft off the ground either.

Take that mic back to your seat and move around a bit with it so you can see the wave interaction. You'll see there's a lot more going on than just a hardwood floor. Get a rug, heavy drapes etc is the best things you can do for the room, if it were me I'd bring the speakers up off the floor, and design speakers for use with a real subwoofer in mind, so frequency extension to at least 100Hz. This will give you the opportunity to use the speakers in the future and not be limited to this oddly specific arrangement. Unless its a permanent installation, I wouldn't design the speakers to correct the room modes, design them to perform well in a normal room (take the room out of the equation), and adjust the room they are in with some EQ if needed.
        "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
        exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

Comment

Hi all,
          Yes I realize that this is a far from ideal situation but I think that I have made the most of it. I bought a ”fairly” competent set of computer 2.1 speakers and replaced the tiny ones in the flat-screen. The ”Sub”, I had to place in the adjacent room ( behond the pillow in one of the pictures).

The room in which the tv-watching is going on is a hall with a lot of limitations in terms of putting speakers and cables.

It seems like that the most creative thing to do is to design a side- system ”as normally done” and but a mat.

Regards// lasse

"Do you swear to take the tooth, the whole tooth and nothing but the tooth, so help you God?"

Comment

DIY Soundbar directly under the TV?

Comment

Originally posted by Millstonemike View Post
              DIY Soundbar directly under the TV?
              Hi,
              Actually, that was in line with what I was planning.
              But to use the better part of the system, and I thought that to be the ”Sub” and the amplifiers and to replace the tiny satellites.

Regards// Lasse

Comment

Working...
              X