Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Test tracks (good recordings) link

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Test tracks (good recordings) link

    https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/usa/e...audio-engineer

  • #2

    Comment


    • #3
      I have a CD which is essentially "The Best of Queen". It includes their Bohemian Rhapsody and whenever I'm evaluating a new speaker build, this is one of my test tracks.
      Paul

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Paul K. View Post
        I have a CD which is essentially "The Best of Queen". It includes their Bohemian Rhapsody and whenever I'm evaluating a new speaker build, this is one of my test tracks.
        Paul
        On small speakers like mine it sounds more like someone banging on watermelons

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by stephenmarklay View Post
          I know there there is a sticky on this but this was a compilation of tracks and why they are good for testing your designs by ear. If you subscribe to Spotify you can search “speaker testing tracks” and this list will show up…

          https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/usa/e...audio-engineer
          Projects:

          Breezy Monitors: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...reezy-monitors
          transcenD: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...5035-transcend
          Summits: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...75-The-Summits
          References: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-My-References
          Vintage Style 2-way: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-vintage-2-way

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by dynamo View Post

            Thanks for posting this, looked it up on Spotify. It’s a fun unique playlist.
            I downloaded it

            Comment


            • #7
              I'm going to politely disagree on Queen's BH.

              My experience is that about 90% of material recorded when vinyl was king is a giant compromise.

              My working theory is that vinyl was it, nobody saw digital coming or didn't see it as such a game-changer, no sense in capturing the lowest octaves because the needle wouldn't stay in the groove anyhow.

              Add to that the insane stuff mixing engineers were doing back then, like the overuse of the Yamaha NS-10. Ugh.

              Certainly there are exceptions, where original studio recordings DID nicely capture bass (and everything else) and it was left to the mastering engineer to adjust LF energy to make albums behave. And when those recordings have been remastered for digital, they sound pretty amazingly good, they really (almost) hold their own.

              In a similar thread to this one, we were once talking about Super Freak from Rick James (or was it Leonard Cohen?). This is another track which really just hasn't stood the test of time.

              Comment


              • #8
                Thanks for the list, very interesting.

                Agreed that Bohemian Rhapsody is a good speaker test, it's also a good test of the dynamic range of the sound system as a whole, given its dynamic range and contrasts. However, I find Queen's 'drum sound' very dull and thuddy, compared to , for example, the Stones'. So to me, Stones tracks, particularly on their Rolling Stones label, are a better test for speakers as they sound more like real drums.

                I saw Queen in concert in 1975, (I think) great show and awesome musicianship; the live drum sound was excellent, not at all 'thuddy' even though the overall sound level was incredibly loud: the exhaust manifold in my car cracked and fell off on the way home and I didn't notice...

                The Queen drum sound seems pretty much the same on CD compared to LP, so I don't know if vinyl-era compromises were the reason behind the sound?

                Geoff

                Comment


                • #9
                  There's a CD I have been greatly enjoying for its great recording and spectacular composition. Once I queue it up, I have to listen all the way through. Just phenomenal.

                  R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

                  Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51


                  95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                  "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I know Paul C is a big fan of his. I wonder what he thinks of it? Sounds great to me!
                    Wolf
                    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

                    *InDIYana event website*

                    Photobucket pages:
                    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

                    My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                      I know Paul C is a big fan of his. I wonder what he thinks of it? Sounds great to me!
                      Wolf
                      Everything about it is tops. Clear, clean bass, crisp drums, searing guitars, and Devy's vocals are just mind melting. What RANGE!!!! The recording production is simply excellent, to go along with the soaring harmonies.

                      It's the most goose-bump inducing CD I've ever heard.

                      It truly "Transcends" every genre.
                      R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

                      Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51


                      95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                      "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        While we're on the subject, sort of, which offers, or has the potential to offer, better sound quality; something like Spotify or Youtube?
                        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...khanspires-but
                        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...pico-neo-build
                        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ensation-build

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Geoff Millar View Post
                          Thanks for the list, very interesting.

                          Agreed that Bohemian Rhapsody is a good speaker test, it's also a good test of the dynamic range of the sound system as a whole, given its dynamic range and contrasts. However, I find Queen's 'drum sound' very dull and thuddy, compared to , for example, the Stones'. So to me, Stones tracks, particularly on their Rolling Stones label, are a better test for speakers as they sound more like real drums.

                          I saw Queen in concert in 1975, (I think) great show and awesome musicianship; the live drum sound was excellent, not at all 'thuddy' even though the overall sound level was incredibly loud: the exhaust manifold in my car cracked and fell off on the way home and I didn't notice...

                          The Queen drum sound seems pretty much the same on CD compared to LP, so I don't know if vinyl-era compromises were the reason behind the sound?

                          Geoff
                          Funny about your manifold

                          Comment


                          • #14

                            Everything about it is tops. Clear, clean bass, crisp drums, searing guitars, and Devy's vocals are just mind melting. What RANGE!!!! The recording production is simply excellent, to go along with the soaring harmonies.

                            It's the most goose-bump inducing CD I've ever heard.

                            It truly "Transcends" every genre.
                            Sounds like a CD I need to get.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Kornbread View Post
                              While we're on the subject, sort of, which offers, or has the potential to offer, better sound quality; something like Spotify or Youtube?
                              I am not sure have seen Youtube with anything approaching good. Spotify premium is acceptable. Tidal is better.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X