No announcement yet.

Test tracks (good recordings) link

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funny, I had this list on and left to use the bathroom. I came back with my wife positioned in my seat listening to Queen BR and fully engaged in a very head banging kind of way

Comment

One Thanksgiving many years ago, when I arrived home from work my wife was playing it really loud while cooking dinner and having a ball at the same time. And, this was from a woman who was very proficient at playing classical music on violin, viola and piano!

Paul

Originally posted by stephenmarklay View Post
      Funny, I had this list on and left to use the bathroom. I came back with my wife positioned in my seat listening to Queen BR and fully engaged in a very head banging kind of way

Comment

Originally posted by Kornbread View Post
        While we're on the subject, sort of, which offers, or has the potential to offer, better sound quality; something like Spotify or Youtube?

Comment

Jellyfish! I love this album, and it has it all for me, dynamics, thundering lows, soaring highs, dense layers of harmony and melody, delicate whisper to a scream transitions, and I think that it is one of the greatest rock albums that not many know about. I have gotten lost in a daze many times with this cd pumping thru my bedroom system. Glenn.
          A playlist for the Jellyfish album, Spilt Milk.

Comment

Originally posted by Drummer View Post
            Jellyfish! I love this album, and it has it all for me, dynamics, thundering lows, soaring highs, dense layers of harmony and melody, delicate whisper to a scream transitions, and I think that it is one of the greatest rock albums that not many know about. I have gotten lost in a daze many times with this cd pumping thru my bedroom system. Glenn.
            just gave it a listen....had never heard of them and although not really my listening genre I found the 'bye bye bye' tune rather catchy .....to me it was like peter gabriel backed by the monkees, quite eclectic!* * * and definately sounds like a really good recording....something thats rare from the early 90's

Comment

I find this thread odd, because I feel you play the music you know. The music you've listened too over and over across the years. That lets you hear the characteristics of the speaker and system being played.
              Audio: Media PC -> Sabre ESS 9023 DAC -> Behringer EP2500 -> (insert speakers of the moment)
              Sites: Jupiter Audioworks - Flicker Stream - FRD Consortium Archive - Proud Member of Midwest Audio Club

Comment

Originally posted by JasonP View Post
                I find this thread odd, because I feel you play the music you know. The music you've listened too over and over across the years. That lets you hear the characteristics of the speaker and system being played.
                hey jason, I'm finding that the music I don't know (like Jellyfish for example) is easier to explore on high quality recordings; lets you appreciate the music better......Its all about expanding horizons, yours and your system!**

Comment

That is a way I hadn't looked at it! Excellent
                  Audio: Media PC -> Sabre ESS 9023 DAC -> Behringer EP2500 -> (insert speakers of the moment)
                  Sites: Jupiter Audioworks - Flicker Stream - FRD Consortium Archive - Proud Member of Midwest Audio Club

Comment

A few that I use are , "fast car" and " give me one reason" by Tracy Chapman and "sweet little angel" by BB King, live at the Regal , "flight of the cosmic hippo" by Bela Fleck and the Fleck tones, and "Industrial Disease" by Dire Straits and "running on faith" by Eric Clapton un-plugged and "jack o'diamonds" by Corey Harris. I am very fond of good high resolution recordings and when possible all Acoustic and I love the sound of the "National" steel guitars and the blues.

Comment

Originally posted by sdep777 View Post
                      A few that I use are , "fast car" and " give me one reason" by Tracy Chapman and "sweet little angel" by BB King, live at the Regal , "flight of the cosmic hippo" by Bela Fleck and the Fleck tones, and "Industrial Disease" by Dire Straits and "running on faith" by Eric Clapton un-plugged and "jack o'diamonds" by Corey Harris. I am very fond of good high resolution recordings and when possible all Acoustic and I love the sound of the "National" steel guitars and the blues.
                      gotta love the cosmic hippo! just came across this awesomely recorded track, 'Madness' by Arielle from 'Mind Lion'* *Heres a awesome track for slide guitar 'Gone for good' by Samantha Fish from 'Belle of the West'* this young girl is a natural talent.....look up some of her you tube stuff playing cigar box and gas can guitars!

Comment

Got to see Bela Fleck and the Flecktones ( Mountain Stage ), real close during the UFO TOFU promo tour ( astounding ).
                        Being a Live Music is better kinda guy - it has provided my references.
                        Tend to use more modern recordings; this has been a source of aggravation for my friends whose favorite music is older ( time of their lives so to speak )
                        Last edited by Sydney; 05-18-2018, 12:51 PM.
                        "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
                        “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
                        "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

looked up the mountainstage you referenced a couple times now and see they have their own 24 hr radio broadcast.....how cool is that!-radio.mountainstage.org

Comment

I am planning to start going to our local 475 million dollar concert hall here in Las Vegas, a 2000 seat venue with professional symphony orchestra starting up again first of September , although I may go see the Led Zeppelin tribute show at the same venue in July. I feel I will appreciate the arts more and am dying to experience a real concert hall. Also a big fan of the Violin sound.

Steve -

Comment

Originally posted by Mountainman Bob View Post
                              looked up the mountainstage you referenced a couple times now and see they have their own 24 hr radio broadcast.....how cool is that!-radio.mountainstage.org
                              About the coolest thing goin' in West-by-God-Virginia: Being a small state forces the Musicians and Artists to become close and network.
                              Google Video: Mountain Stage and get stuff like this:

bunch of podcasts and Albums too
                              ( worked with members of the MS crew and band )
                              "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Originally posted by philthien View Post
                                ...Add to that the insane stuff mixing engineers were doing back then, like the overuse of the Yamaha NS-10. Ugh.....
                                I had wondered why those and other odd speakers ( ex. Auratone 5C ) were used in studios; The rationale written ( including famous engineers ) was often a goal, to make a mix that can sound good on a variety of speakers found in the consumer market. There was listening on a variety of speakers for consensus purposes. Sometimes because of the particular tonal characters, a portion of the mix stands out.

Comment

Working...
                                X