No announcement yet.

S2000- any thoughts on it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Ares MT using the 5.5" Anarchy is ready to go too. 9mm Xmax on a 5.5" woofer is pretty nifty! Bass into the upper 30s.
    Dang. Is that going to show up on diysoundgroup?

Comment

The Ares MT using the 5.5" Anarchy is ready to go too. 9mm Xmax on a 5.5" woofer is pretty nifty! Bass into the upper 30s.
      If I were smart I would build your Apollo MTM. These look like they would be a nice speaker for me. I had some JmLab MTMs that were incredible in the bass and dynamics but could do the delicate midrange without missing a beat. It sounds like these would have that too.

Comment

Ares MT is up on the site now, as is Apollo MTM. Soon there will be an Ares MTM and Apollo TM.

With those Anarchy woofers, Apollo is the king of 7" MTM in terms of total output. Nothing can touch them. Bass into the mid 30s at HUGE levels and they have very low distortion throughout their operating range.

I've never seen a 7" driver with such low levels of distortion below 100Hz. Remarkable.

It's just a LOT bigger than the S2000, so keep that in mind.

R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
        "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

How big are the Ares?

I'm thinking of building some smallish speakers for my parents (to replace the $5 Cyberacoustics 2.1 system they're using).
          Those speakers are sort of an eyesore, take up a lot of space, and don't sound good.
          Plus, it'll give me an opportunity to make something nice for my dad, and build some nifty speakers.

Currently trying to see how they want their decor prior to choosing veneers/finishes.

The Quarks and S2000 are on my short list.
          Continuums would be too big...maybe also considering the Sopranos.

Comment

Originally posted by mlau View Post
            How big are the Ares?

I'm thinking of building some smallish speakers for my parents (to replace the $5 Cyberacoustics 2.1 system they're using).
            Those speakers are sort of an eyesore, take up a lot of space, and don't sound good.
            Plus, it'll give me an opportunity to make something nice for my dad, and build some nifty speakers.

Currently trying to see how they want their decor prior to choosing veneers/finishes.

The Quarks and S2000 are on my short list.
            Continuums would be too big...maybe also considering the Sopranos.
            The prototype cabs Erich sent me are 8" wide, 10" deep, 12" tall. The final version will probably be close to that as well. Rear ported.
            R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
            "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

I'll probably not be building the Ares any time soon....got too much stuff on the backburner:
              1. Organizing my workshop to be usable
              2. Building a workbench-- probably a Nicholsen.
              3. Getting my implant stuff together.
              4. Reviewing some cases.
              5. Getting rid of problem patients--There's a few in the crosshairs that we may kick out for being an unreasonable PITA.

Currently, I'm just debating on what my next build will be...thinking of making something nice for my parents using some flamed maple that I have sitting around.
              however, I'll need to see the decor first.

Comment

Originally posted by mlau View Post
                Nice!

What camera did you use?

old iphone 6 with broken camera!

time for a new phone

Comment

Wonder how well these would do in theater application Xover 60hz if you could get to like say -20 on aver without them hanging themselves

Comment

Would love a update when you can on their performance in a theater application say -20 on AVR

Comment

Originally posted by Bergarth View Post
                      Would love a update when you can on their performance in a theater application say -20 on AVR
                      they sound great -- but within limitations of the 4.5" woofer

These speakers are great by themselves for music. Full bass without using a subwoofer.

But for home theater, you're going to want a subwoofer. The 4.5" woofers just can't move that much air.
                      If you have them crossover over high enough (perhaps 80 or 100 Hz), then they'll do just great with home theater for a modest room.

If you want some serious home theater speakers, check out the Apollo MTM on DIYsound

Comment

I'll just be using these as computer speakers, driven by an SMSL amp.
                        I figure that it'll work better for the bigger room than my Quarks--the downstairs room is about 4 times the size of my bedroom.

Comment

Originally posted by ceiol View Post
                          they sound great -- but within limitations of the 4.5" woofer

These speakers are great by themselves for music. Full bass without using a subwoofer.

But for home theater, you're going to want a subwoofer. The 4.5" woofers just can't move that much air.
                          If you have them crossover over high enough (perhaps 80 or 100 Hz), then they'll do just great with home theater for a modest room.

If you want some serious home theater speakers, check out the Apollo MTM on DIYsound
                          I was asking because Erich at DIYSG said this in a email to me--Most people would be crossing over around 75-80hz.

Crossed over at 60hz they would handle a decent amount more power than
                          they're rated at and would be just fine. They're very nice woofers.

Comment

I need more speakers like I need another hole in my head, but I just ordered a pair with flat packs and binding posts. Couldn't resist that CF woofer. I will probably just clear poly the BB unless the grain is unattractive. They will be for my computer 2.1 sound.

Comment

ceiol - Great looking build!

I would love it if somebody could compare these to the Overnight Sensations TM, or if perhaps Paul Carmody himself could chime in on the upcoming S2000 MTM compared to the Overnight Senations MTM.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnBooty View Post
                                ceiol - Great looking build!

I would love it if somebody could compare these to the Overnight Sensations TM, or if perhaps Paul Carmody himself could chime in on the upcoming S2000 MTM compared to the Overnight Senations MTM.

I like the S2000s significantly more than the Overnight Sensations. Both are great but there's better bass response from the S2000s, the vocals are more natural, and the wavecor tweeters are more precise than the ND20s.

Comment

Working...
                                X