No announcement yet.

S2000- any thoughts on it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S2000s ordered on Saturday evening, arrived Wednesday morning, well packed and complete. I will post some pics upon completion.

Very cool little woofer.

Comment

Originally posted by ceiol View Post
      I like the S2000s significantly more than the Overnight Sensations. Both are great but there's better bass response from the S2000s
      Huh! I expected the highs and mids to be better, but I was surprised to read this part! I guess it was a surprise to read because the rated extension of the OS (45hz) is a bit lower than the rated extension of the S2000 (50hz) on DIYSG. You compared them in the same setup + room? Of course... numbers never ever truly tell the story...

Comment

Originally posted by JohnBooty View Post

Huh! I expected the highs and mids to be better, but I was surprised to read this part! I guess it was a surprise to read because the rated extension of the OS (45hz) is a bit lower than the rated extension of the S2000 (50hz) on DIYSG. You compared them in the same setup + room? Of course... numbers never ever truly tell the story...
        My guess (I have not measured hem, just extensively listened to both): first 45 Hz vs 50 Hz is not huge. The OS may be flatter and extend lower down to 45 Hz but the bass on the S2000s may be stronger at the satisfying 60 Hz range and be a bit peaked vs flat at that range.

Listen to both of them. You’ll like the bass on the s2000s more
        Last edited by ceiol; 02-28-2018, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Will do, sir. Will do!

Comment

I am longing for a detailed post by Paul Carmody about the S2000s including his measurements etc

But I suppose that life, work, family, etc sometimes gets in the way of speaker building!

Comment

Yeah still waiting also lol

Comment

I ordered the S2000 MTM. Should have it built in a couple of weeks I hope... schedule's a little busy! I'll spend plenty of time listening to them before handing them over to my brother in law.

For myself, I definitely want to build one of the Ares or Apollos. But that will have to wait a little while.

Comment

The S200 MTM look super interesting. Does anyone know if they would compete with my ELAC UB5's in sound quality and bass production? I want them to replace the UB5, so I can sell them, but obviously don't want to build something with inferior sound quality and bass production.

Comment

I'm building a S2000 kit right now, but am trying to wrap my head around the crossover.

Does anyone have a picture of theirs? I may cheat and copy you.

Comment

here you go

it's just the front side -- and I did all the soldering on the back....

the XO diagram was straightforward -- what part is tough to follow?

Comment

Got my xovers wired and my cabinets glued for the MTM version. Should be able clamp the baffles on and give it a listen tomorrow night or maybe Monday. Excited!

Comment

Hey Ceiol,

Thanks! I guess I had a brain fart, as I forgot about that image.
                          What did you use for your boards?

I'm thinking of ordering the same thing off Amazon, or going with a mango wood headplate I have sitting around.

Comment

I used the perf crossover boards from PE

Comment

Got the MTM's assembled and have been listening for the last hour. Haven't done final assembly yet (baffles are clamped on) and I haven't experimented with polyfill or lining yet.

But my initial impression is: WOW! I haven't A/B'd them with the OS MTM yet, but my initial impression is that these are a real upgrade. Also, these suckers get LOUD.

I'll be (happy) putting in some hours over the next week or so with these and I'll compare them with the C-Notes, OS, and some others.

ceiol Question - what length did you use for the ports? 6"?

Comment

Ports should be left at their shortest length without extending the telescopic section. I think it's around 4.75". You could skip using the telescopic section if you wanted to and it would be 4.5" long. The .25" difference won't really matter.

Comment

Working...
                                X