Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

S2000- any thoughts on it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    I played around with the port lengths to see which sounded best

    I ended up using it without the telescopic section, so 4.5" or so

    Comment


    • #47
      I shortened up the ports and added some polyfill. Definitely an improvement.

      I'm just over the moon with the SPLs these S2000 MTMs put out. There's just something about speakers with higher sensitivity. I have some 95dB efficient speakers in my garage. They are not "audiophile" in the sense that most people would use that word, but nonetheless they bring music to life in ways that other speakers can't due to their effortless handling of dynamic peaks. The S2000 MTMs are kind of like that, with their 91dB sensitivity.

      Incidentally, while I've only tested these with music, these would most definitely be home theater monsters. In any "average" residential room, three of these would hit some very satisfying output levels with lots of headroom left over for dynamic peaks. Just make sure you cross them over nice and low; crossing them at 80hz would be a crime. 60hz is more like it; maybe a bit lower.

      I'm really going to hate to see these go once I give them to my brother-in-law as a gift. But I'll console myself with thoughts of building myself a pair of Apollo MTMs later this year.

      I'll shut up about these for now, until I have a chance to perhaps take some outdoor measurements. Thanks to ceiol and Erich H for the help.

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by JohnBooty View Post
        I shortened up the ports and added some polyfill. Definitely an improvement.

        I'm just over the moon with the SPLs these S2000 MTMs put out. There's just something about speakers with higher sensitivity. I have some 95dB efficient speakers in my garage. They are not "audiophile" in the sense that most people would use that word, but nonetheless they bring music to life in ways that other speakers can't due to their effortless handling of dynamic peaks. The S2000 MTMs are kind of like that, with their 91dB sensitivity.

        Incidentally, while I've only tested these with music, these would most definitely be home theater monsters. In any "average" residential room, three of these would hit some very satisfying output levels with lots of headroom left over for dynamic peaks. Just make sure you cross them over nice and low; crossing them at 80hz would be a crime. 60hz is more like it; maybe a bit lower.

        I'm really going to hate to see these go once I give them to my brother-in-law as a gift. But I'll console myself with thoughts of building myself a pair of Apollo MTMs later this year.

        I'll shut up about these for now, until I have a chance to perhaps take some outdoor measurements. Thanks to ceiol and Erich H for the help.

        Glad you enjoyed them. What do you mean by "effortless handling of dynamic peaks. The S2000 MTMs are kind of like that, with their 91dB sensitivity."
        speaker sensitivity has no correlation with sound quality. Higher sensitivity just means you'll need less power to get the same loudness.

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by mmu7 View Post
          speaker sensitivity has no correlation with sound quality. Higher sensitivity just means you'll need less power to get the same loudness.
          Ideally you want at least 20dB of headroom to reproduce those big dynamic peaks that make movies and well-recorded music really shine. (Not applicable to music with "loudness wars" mastering that has had all the dynamic range sucked out of it)

          Consider a pair of 85dB efficient speakers, powered by a 100wpc amplifier.

          That system can produce a max of about 100dB from a listening position 10ft away. So if your listening material has an average volume of 75dB, those 95dB peaks will just barely be within your system's reach. But, we all know what happens when we push things to their absolute limits - that system is going to compress/distort/whatever as it approaches 100dB. It's the opposite of what we'd call "effortless."

          Now let's consider a pair of 91dB efficient speakers, powered by a 100wpc amplifier.

          That system gives an extra 6dB of sensitivity and will hit about 107dB from 10ft away. Those 95dB peaks should be well within the system's capabilities... the amp only needs to send about 25wpc of power to the speakers to hit 100wpc. The speakers and the amplifier will not even be breaking a sweat. In fact, a clean 25wpc is actually within the range of very affordable compact class D amps. Most "50wpc" Class D amps put out around 20-25wpc at desirable distortion levels. That is why high-sensitivity speakers can really shine.



          (Those numbers are approximate. There are different ways to calculate room gain, I guess. This is the calculator I used: http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html Corrections welcome)

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by JohnBooty View Post

            Ideally you want at least 20dB of headroom to reproduce those big dynamic peaks that make movies and well-recorded music really shine. (Not applicable to music with "loudness wars" mastering that has had all the dynamic range sucked out of it)

            Consider a pair of 85dB efficient speakers, powered by a 100wpc amplifier.

            That system can produce a max of about 100dB from a listening position 10ft away. So if your listening material has an average volume of 75dB, those 95dB peaks will just barely be within your system's reach. But, we all know what happens when we push things to their absolute limits - that system is going to compress/distort/whatever as it approaches 100dB. It's the opposite of what we'd call "effortless."

            Now let's consider a pair of 91dB efficient speakers, powered by a 100wpc amplifier.

            That system gives an extra 6dB of sensitivity and will hit about 107dB from 10ft away. Those 95dB peaks should be well within the system's capabilities... the amp only needs to send about 25wpc of power to the speakers to hit 100wpc. The speakers and the amplifier will not even be breaking a sweat. In fact, a clean 25wpc is actually within the range of very affordable compact class D amps. Most "50wpc" Class D amps put out around 20-25wpc at desirable distortion levels. That is why high-sensitivity speakers can really shine.



            (Those numbers are approximate. There are different ways to calculate room gain, I guess. This is the calculator I used: http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html Corrections welcome)

            Thanks, that makes sense. Have any pics to share? I'm also kinda debating what to do next, I'm finishing up the Heliums right now. I'm liking the Ares MT but still looking at other compact options.

            Comment


            • #51
              John B., thanks for the nice review on diysg S2000 MTM page. I haven't started my S2000 MTs yet.

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by mmu7 View Post
                Thanks, that makes sense. Have any pics to share? I'm also kinda debating what to do next, I'm finishing up the Heliums right now. I'm liking the Ares MT but still looking at other compact options.
                They're totally unfinished and still held together with wood clamps =)

                Probably won't get to finish them for a week or two. Choosing between the Ares MT and the S2000 MTM is a tough choice but at least there's probably not a wrong answer. S2K MTM should be louder, Ares MT should play a little deeper. I wouldn't even have a guess how they'd compare otherwise. Wish I had the money to build them all. Or the time to design my own. Or a lifetime supply of paid time off days. Or or or....

                Comment


                • #53
                  S2000s, Minwax satin wipe on poly, textured black baffles. The BB is very good quality, with just the tiniest amount of splintering on the machined edges. I gave edges a sanded roundover to deal with that. Crossover assembled on the bottom of the cab. Should have them done in a few days.

                  I clamped the first cab, but used tape to assemble the second. Never used tape before. It was much easier and faster than dealing with slippery drifting pieces. The diysg flat pack is so precise it just stays together with perfect alignment.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    I finished these last night, set them up temporarily with a decent amp. Very nice sounding speakers with good bass.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      looking good. Agree that these speakers really sound great. A step above the overnight sensations.

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Those look way nice!

                        I just tried veneering in pear wood burl to disastrous results.
                        What sort of veneer did you use?

                        I sorta want to keep the sides lighter colored...currently have designer's block.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Just the bare Baltic Birch of the diysg flat pack.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            I've had great results with PSA Maple veneer, bought a small piece off ebay.

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Finally finished up the... well, the finish... and here's the final product. I like the way these turned out. Just a simple stain rub and wax finish, nothing special, but I was proud (and a little sad) to hand these over to my awesome brother in law.

                              (Ideally these shouldn't be on the same surface as the turntable, I know! But the vibration transfer is pretty minimal. There is neoprene foam under the speakers, and the furniture piece itself is pretty solid. Nonetheless I think my next gift to him will be an isolation platform for the turntable... or maybe some floorstanding speaker stands...)

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                These look great. Looking to grab a pair of the S2000 for my office desk. Do you guys think they would be an overkill for near field fairly low level music? Would I be better served looking at a different speaker?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X