Building and making bass traps blend in

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building and making bass traps blend in

Once I built 4 big rectangular bass traps. They were about 4 foot by 2ft and 4-6 inches thick. Big ugly boxes that looked like big ugly boxes.

I do have some problem room nodes and bass traps may help but I really do not want to see big ugly boxes.

Have you guys done anything discreet that worked?

The prize goes to the most aesthetically pleasing design

These are not mine but I am sure they used the same plans.
    Attached Files

Comment

What design process and/or methodology did you use when building them? Did you follow a similar, proven design?

Comment

Originally posted by stephenmarklay View Post
        The prize goes to the most aesthetically pleasing design

These are not mine but I am sure they used the same plans.
        Those bass traps look like my DML speakers LOL.......Yoga mats work great for bass traps and way cheaper.

Comment

Some are printing graphics on the fabric to make then look like movie posters in a theater.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...els-cheap.html

Comment

Originally posted by AWholeCorndog View Post
            Some are printing graphics on the fabric to make then look like movie posters in a theater.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...els-cheap.html
            Hey that is not half bad!!

Comment

guitar maestro

I cannot tell if these were exact but they look to be. Mine were big boxes stuff with 703 ridged fiberglass with a very thin ply over the front. All air tight. The thin ply flexes and the 703 damped the vibration.
              It did a great job. I also had some 703 covered in fabric that help higher up in frequency. They worked but the WAF was poor.

Comment

Mine resemble this:

www.billfitzmaurice.com
                www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

I have one too but it is not helping. I knew I should have gotten the overstuffed one. Missed opportunity.

Comment

I have mounted them on the ceiling, cover them in the right fabric and they blend in well and can even look nice.
                    Curtains work great as well. Big stuffed animal in the corner...

Comment

Are most bass traps open on just 1 of the 6 sides, or are they open on 2 opposite sides?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by guitar maestro View Post
                          Are most bass traps open on just 1 of the 6 sides, or are they open on 2 opposite sides?
                          Mine (from ATS Acoustics) are open front and back. They're 48x24x4" panels I've hung on the ceiling, and placed at appropriate places beside the speakers etc. They made a tremendous difference in clarity as well as minimizing several bass suckouts and peaks.

https://www.atsacoustics.com/bass-trap-d.html
                          Francis

Comment

I had to look this up. When I built mine about 15 years ago they were thin membrane traps. The 1/16 plywood sealed a compartment of 703. The panel would vibrate and the 703 would damp it. This works well for LF energy. However, I see that most are using 703 or equivalent open.

Comment

Here are 6" thick corner mounted designs using 45 degree angled frames to fit fully into the corners. Ruxol or OC703 works well and is held in place by the fabric wrap.

Comment

Working...
                              X