Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is anyone using an apple computer (MacBook etc) for speaker design?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is anyone using an apple computer (MacBook etc) for speaker design?

I see a lot of the software is windows specific. I run a mac and wondered what options I have.

2 reasons (no, not much).
    1st, the PC was designed as an "open" system (and designed for "geeks" = programmers). Macs were "closed", and aimed at artists, not engineers. This goes back over 30 yrs.

2nd, when you want to build some software, you want it to be avail to the most people (whether it's a game, for speaker design, or as a virus). Last I heard, the user base ratio of PC/Mac was on the order of 10:1.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
      2 reasons (no, not much).
      1st, the PC was designed as an "open" system (and designed for "geeks" = programmers). Macs were "closed", and aimed at artists, not engineers. This goes back over 30 yrs.

2nd, when you want to build some software, you want it to be avail to the most people (whether it's a game, for speaker design, or as a virus). Last I heard, the user base ratio of PC/Mac was on the order of 10:1.
      Interesting. Amazing I have any software at all for this hunk of junk.

Comment

Hi Stephen, I use both a Macbook Air and a Windows 10 laptop for my speaker building duties. I like to do all my CAD work in Autodesk Fusion360 on my Macbook Air, while some tools like DATS and OmniMic are designed around, and work best, in Windows environments. My other current software of choice is BassBox 6 for designing vented or sealed enclosures, and I have run that successfully on Macbook Air through an open source program packaging scheme called WINE, as well as through running an instance of windows 7 virtually through Oracle's VirtualBox environment.

Long story short... In my experience you can do some things on a Mac... but the PC versions tend to have less hassles involved. Especially if you're using some hardware like DATS or a Microphone.
        Voxel Down Firing with Dayton SA70
        Translam Subwoofers - The Jedi Mind Tricks
        The Super Bees - Garage 2 way
        SevenSixTwo - InDIYana 2018 Coax

Comment

"A dirty shop is an unsafe shop, if you injure yourself in a clean shop you are just stupid" - Coach Kupchinsky

The Madeleine
          The Roxster
          Swopes 5.0
          Acoustic Panels
          Living Room Make Over

Comment

I'm still wondering when all these mac people will realize that they simply have an expensive name-brand PC.
            "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
            exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by dcibel View Post
                I'm still wondering when all these mac people will realize that they simply have an expensive name-brand PC.
                Yeah... don't get me wrong... I still love the ability to upgrade hardware and do so at a reasonable price, as well as fiddle with system settings much easier. I bought my 2012 model Macbook Air from Apple's refurbished section back in 2014 since I refuse to buy at their absurd suggested retail price. It's still got more power than I need for daily use, and I've yet to find a touchpad as responsive. Most PC laptop touchpads are afterthoughts on business machines.
                Voxel Down Firing with Dayton SA70
                Translam Subwoofers - The Jedi Mind Tricks
                The Super Bees - Garage 2 way
                SevenSixTwo - InDIYana 2018 Coax

Comment

Projects:

Breezy Monitors: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...reezy-monitors
                  transcenD: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...5035-transcend
                  Summits: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...75-The-Summits
                  References: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-My-References
                  Vintage Style 2-way: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-vintage-2-way

Comment

I am also loathe to pay retail for Macs. I got mine through the large auction site. The seller was an air national guard pilot who had ambitions to get into a space program...sounded like the type of guy who is very meticulous about gear / kit.

Comment

Originally posted by KEtheredge87 View Post
                      Hi Stephen, I use both a Macbook Air and a Windows 10 laptop for my speaker building duties. I like to do all my CAD work in Autodesk Fusion360 on my Macbook Air, while some tools like DATS and OmniMic are designed around, and work best, in Windows environments. My other current software of choice is BassBox 6 for designing vented or sealed enclosures, and I have run that successfully on Macbook Air through an open source program packaging scheme called WINE, as well as through running an instance of windows 7 virtually through Oracle's VirtualBox environment.

Long story short... In my experience you can do some things on a Mac... but the PC versions tend to have less hassles involved. Especially if you're using some hardware like DATS or a Microphone.
                      Thank you very much.

Comment

Originally posted by stephenmarklay View Post
                        I see a lot of the software is windows specific. I run a mac and wondered what options I have.

I use a Mac Mini for Phonograph playback and recording duties. Way back in the 90's I used MacSpeakerZ
                        “Never ask people about your work.”
                        ― Ayn Rand, The Fountainhead

Comment

Exactly, a way more stable, less prone to viruses, largely easier to use typical PC. Go figure. Dummies.

Comment

Originally posted by stephenmarklay View Post
                            Exactly, a way more stable, less prone to viruses, largely easier to use typical PC. Go figure. Dummies.
                            Not any more stable since Windows 7 and later. Granted, there's more crap Windows software out there and folks adding crap hardware killing stability. But when properly setup, stability is largely identical. Less prone to viruses, true. Windows is a much more lucrative target, but that's shifting as well in the last few years. Phones, IOT and web servers are the money makers for hackers now. Easier to use, only if you're used to it. Mac is far harder for me too use personally. Ultimately they're both tools made from the same parts. Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
                            Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
                            Wogg Music

Comment

Working...
                            X