Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is anyone using an apple computer (MacBook etc) for speaker design?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Millstonemike View Post
    .. punch card...
    1st experience w IBM was on Sys32 with Cards - Spent many years with their products since

"Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
    "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Man you guys are showing your age

I started on Commodore 64, even translated the Radio Shack book box calculation formulas into my first woofer box "modeling" program.
      Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
      Wogg Music

Comment

replied

"You're FOS, the original PC was an IBM product, designed to be totally under the control of IBM. It wasn't until some other company reverse engineered the IBM BIOS that PCs became prolific. Also, IBM contracted Micro$oft for the OS (DOS). It was all tightly controlled by IBM, until circumvented by the technological progress of so many other companies."
        -

To refresh your RAM, Bill never sold DOS (which he DID buy from Seattle Computer Products - an 8-bit vers. of it anyway, IIRC) to IBM. He (in a stroke of genius) "licensed" it to IBM, just like he did to all the clone mfrs. that would come later. NONE of the PC hardware was proprietary - it was thrown together w/all "off the shelf" stuff. Almost the only proprietary things in there were the ROMs. One had a version of BASIC on it - which could NOT be copied, but was elegantly coded into GW-BASIC.exe (the "GW" standing for "gee-whiz"). The BIOS didn't have to be reverse engineered. Anyone (programmer/hacker) could just buy The Original "IBM PC Technical Reference Manual", Including The BIOS Listing And Complete Schematics For The PC.

(Submitted May 8, 2012 19:38:34 by Bill) "I have the original IBM BIOS manual that contains the complete fully documented bios code. I bought this when I bought my IBM 5150 in 1983. It was quite the popular borrowed book when I was consulting at GM because many of the folks I worked with were writing MASM Assembler device drivers and telcom software. I still have my 5150 with upgrades from PC Limited (aka Dell), but am missing my color monitor which I lent to an ex brother-in-law and never got it back. Would love to find another monitor and boot up this baby! Regards from San Diego."

AFAIK, this was avail. ever since the PC's initial release way back in 1981.

You used to be able to (and possibly STILL CAN?) run debug.com (which was part of DOS, not an extra) which let you dump the BIOS memory (or really, ANY block of memory, RAM or ROM) the PC could address.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	ibmdocs.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	1363346

That original PC was truly a garden-of-delight for programmers. A microcomputer made by hackers, for hackers.
        "Is there an ap for that?"
        Well, in the beginning, there never was. You wrote your own.
        Attached Files

Comment

I must admit to have written a program or two in BASIC myself.

Comment

I am a pc tech but never used a mac much so i ended up replacing my main pc and try it it. There are things i do like about th mac os . But in the end i returned to my win10 os. I tried like linux as well. There were programs i just could not run on linux or mac that use. And i dont like using parallels vmware or boot camp.
            On the cheap diy. That is my motto - www.hifiposse.com

Comment

Going back to the OP, I did for a little while.

Have both Mac and PC.
              The Mac is the daily driver for everyday stuff and part of my job.
              The PC gets used for my job where the Mac does not fit which is about 3/4.

While I tried to use the Mac for speaker stuff (Arta, REW, wine, etc) I found myself going back to the PC to get stuff done . I now have a dedicated PC (laptop) for speaker stuff.

If you are serious about the speaker hobby I would get a decent used laptop with windows 7 pro. It's just more flexible than the Mac at least in that area.
              ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
                replied

"You're FOS, the original PC was an IBM product, designed to be totally under the control of IBM. It wasn't until some other company reverse engineered the IBM BIOS that PCs became prolific. Also, IBM contracted Micro$oft for the OS (DOS). It was all tightly controlled by IBM, until circumvented by the technological progress of so many other companies."

(Submitted May 8, 2012 19:38:34 by Bill) "I have the original IBM BIOS manual that contains the complete fully documented bios code...."

Correct. At the time IBM was fending off anti-trust winds; mostly do to their proprietary SNA communication system. They had to publish the SNA specs (seven 3" binders) so anyone could interface to their systems. I believe the PC's technology was published under the same duress.

Comment

Originally posted by hcruz View Post
                  Going back to the OP, I did for a little while.

Have both Mac and PC.
                  The Mac is the daily driver for everyday stuff and part of my job.
                  The PC gets used for my job where the Mac does not fit which is about 3/4.

While I tried to use the Mac for speaker stuff (Arta, REW, wine, etc) I found myself going back to the PC to get stuff done . I now have a dedicated PC (laptop) for speaker stuff.

If you are serious about the speaker hobby I would get a decent used laptop with windows 7 pro. It's just more flexible than the Mac at least in that area.
                  Thank you.

Comment

The Compaq Portable was the first 100% compatible IBM computer clone. Why make an IBM clone? Because the IBM PC was extremely popular, and taken very seriously by businesses looking for a computer system.
                    Last edited by ; 02-02-2018, 03:27 AM.

Comment

i wanted to end this thread with an apology to both Chris and Phil for playing a part and perhaps instigating all of the negativity that followed in this thread. We are all here, from all walks of life, with different life experiences and opinions. However, we are also here to have fun and all of this is NOT fun.

Let us all get back to the fun part.

Comment

Originally posted by stephenmarklay View Post
                        i wanted to end this thread with an apology to both Chris and Phil for playing a part and perhaps instigating all of the negativity that followed in this thread. We are all here, from all walks of life, with different life experiences and opinions. However, we are also here to have fun and all of this is NOT fun.

Let us all get back to the fun part.
                        Much appreciated.

Sorry, Stephen.

Comment

I used to use Unibox on my mac but alas, since updating the Os, it will no longer work. So i just downloaded Wine then ran WinISd through Wine and it works perfectly! Boxism is supposed to work very well running it through Wine but I haven't had a chance to try.

Comment

Working...
                          X