• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deconstructing an Elac

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWWXH8yLEQI

Crutchfield Tech does something unusual; Just an FYI
    “Never ask people about your work.”
    ― Ayn Rand, The Fountainhead

Okay, what is the benefit of that alignment?

Comment

The passive radiator and the air volume behind it will act as an acoustic low pass trapping the port noise and any higher order distortion products inside the box whole still allowing a forth order roll off on the bottom.

Comment

Damn that speaker cost $1249.99 each.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesMc View Post
          The passive radiator and the air volume behind it will act as an acoustic low pass trapping the port noise and any higher order distortion products inside the box whole still allowing a forth order roll off on the bottom.

Comment

I wonder if you could diy something like that with a dayton classic 10 with its motor pulled off? Regular passives would be to heavy.

Comment

It would get rid of the port noise bit it wouldn't trap distortions coming from the woofer itself. The people who build synergy horns talk about that as one of the advantages of using acoustic bandpass arrangements.

Comment

Another advantage is that the light weight passive won't create the same vibration that a conventional heavy passive would. That's actually a very cool design.

Comment

ok... THAT was cool! Wish they had some detailed shots of the XO board. I'd like to see what kind of components they use. Nice to see some of the construction techniques they use are similar to those we use in our DIY speakers. Nothing too fancy going on in there, just good drivers, simple construction, and I assume a rockin XO design.
                  Voxel Down Firing with Dayton SA70
                  Translam Subwoofers - The Jedi Mind Tricks
                  The Super Bees - Garage 2 way
                  SevenSixTwo - InDIYana 2018 Coax
                  The Defiants - InDIYana 2019 "Bare Minimum" Build

Comment

Crazy design! Lots of chokes on that XO...
                    Guess xmax's age.

My guess: 15. His grammar is passable. His trolling is good.

Comment

Originally posted by xmax View Post
                      Crazy design! Lots of chokes on that XO...
                      And to think I was a little worried about 3 chokes on the same board I did.

Comment

Originally posted by philthien View Post
                        Okay, what is the benefit of that alignment?
                        Its just a bandpass, with the passive radiator providing the benefits of a passive radiator.
                        "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
                        exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

Comment

Originally posted by dcibel View Post
                          Its just a bandpass, with the passive radiator providing the benefits of a passive radiator.
                          +1, a series tuned 6th order bandpass. The main advantage of a PR rather than port in the front chamber is the same as with any PR, it allows a smaller chamber, as a PR takes up less room than a port. It might not look like it, but it's a close cousin to the Karlson Speaker.
                          www.billfitzmaurice.com
                          www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Comment

Reminds me of the Bose accoustimass base module but instead of using a passive radiator it used a port....I have always wanted to try it with a passive radiator, some one beat me to it. LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X