No announcement yet.

Who doesn't want MORE?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I certainly don't get this sort of stuff, but each person has their own taste, and it would be pretty boring if everyone liked the same things.

However, have a look/listen to the clips recommended above, then have a look at the Jeff Beck concert in another recent PETT thread, and the Jimi Hendrix clip in post 23: I'll leave it to you to think about who has real talent and whose music people will be listening to in 20 years' time....

Geoff
    Last edited by Geoff Millar; 02-04-2018, 06:55 AM.

Comment

seriously, are we being trolled here? It's like someone saying that pro wrestling is "real". Is there really a comparison of the talent level of these metal guys to Beck, Clapton or hendrix ?

Comment

Trolled by Pete!
        Craig

Comment

Originally posted by dwigle View Post
          seriously, are we being trolled here? It's like someone saying that pro wrestling is "real". Is there really a comparison of the talent level of these metal guys to Beck, Clapton or hendrix ?

I'm sure my parents had similar thoughts about Cream & Hendrix when my brother was blasting it up in his bedroom back in the day.

Despite my lack of understanding the allure of the metal/rock genre, there are some extremely talented musicians making this music. In the end, it's all art - just vastly different styles. I whole-heartedly agree that if we all had the same tastes, the world would be a very boring place. Now, if I could just get the punk in the car next to me to roll up his windows and stop "sharing" his music with me, that might make the world a little better....
          Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Comment

Originally posted by dwigle View Post
            Absolutely! Devin Townsend is a genius.

R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
            "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

I haven't gotten much exposure to Devin's newer stuff, but man do I remember breaking my neck to SYL's 1997 "City". Even to this day, it sounds absolutely killer. O.M. F.G. says it all.

Originally posted by Liberator of Magic Smoke View Post
              All sane people detest noise. --Mark Twain
              That explains a lot. Not everyone can appreciate distortion together with discordance. Takes a very specific set of ears and noggin..

Comment

Originally posted by guitar maestro View Post
                I haven't gotten much exposure to Devin's newer stuff, but man do I remember breaking my neck to SYL's 1997 "City". Even to this day, it sounds absolutely killer. O.M. F.G. says it all.

That explains a lot. Not everyone can appreciate distortion together with discordance. Takes a very specific set of ears and noggin..
                Queue up Transcendence . . . absolutely amazing. I get goosebumps with every listen.
                R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

"Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Millar View Post
                  I suggest that this is music: loud, yes; but IMHO this guy has more musicianship and talent in his thumbnail than just about anyone else:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlJclT1lMBk

And despite his being gone for almost 50 years, we do still keep getting "more" - another album is due out next month.

Geoff
                  Yes, you and I both know it. Incredible how fast his fingers could move. I was listening to that way back in 1974, when I bought the album.
                  Last edited by ; 02-04-2018, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post
                    Trolled by Pete!
                    Awesome reply! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
                      I'd rather listen to a blender.
                      Personally, I prefer the sound of a Jack LaLanne juicer.

Comment

The first thing he did was convince me that he's an arrogant *******. "Look at me!! Who doesn't want to do this!?"

I like heavy rock and even some metal, but this is too much. Just sounds like noise.

Comment

Where is the band?
                          Guess xmax's age.

My guess: 15. His grammar is passable. His trolling is good.

Comment

Originally posted by xmax View Post
                            Where is the band?
                            On the floor in front of him and behind him next to his amp.

EMG does that with lots of artists.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                              What I think is funny is that Pete is an old fuddy duddy that gets it!

Heehee,
                              Wolf
                              In 20 years, when I'm 80, I'll still find Hevy Devy far more entertaining than I ever found "slow hand" to be.

Jeff Beck on the other hand, now THAT'S a guitar player.

But Devy writes great stuff . . . and what a voice.

Comment

Originally posted by username00 View Post
                                The first thing he did was convince me that he's an arrogant *******. "Look at me!! Who doesn't want to do this!?"

I like heavy rock and even some metal, but this is too much. Just sounds like noise.
                                Humor is missed by some . . .
                                I guess you didn't see the tongue in cheek . . .

Comment

Working...
                                X