Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

Who doesn't want MORE?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dwigle View Post
    seriously, are we being trolled here? It's like someone saying that pro wrestling is "real". Is there really a comparison of the talent level of these metal guys to Beck, Clapton or hendrix ?
    I've always considered Clapton to be the most overrated guitarist in rock. On the way to work tonight I heard some Jeff Beck on the radio, a player I've always liked, who's vinyl I've listened to a lot and thought he may very well fit into a similar category. Of course it's all subjective but I think there are far better unknowns, and lot's of them than Beck or Clapton. The video posted originally? Not my thing. I'm a fusion guy.

Comment

Originally posted by zomby woof View Post
      ....I heard some Jeff Beck on the radio...
      Unfortunately very little of JBs music is played on the Radio. This "unplayed" stuff includes his more diverse and eclectic work.
      "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
      “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
      "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post
        Trolled by Pete!
        Is xmax Pete's fake n00b?

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post

Is xmax Pete's fake n00b?
          HAH!

There's very little music I don't like.

But this Devin Townsend stuff is EPIC. And really well recorded to boot.
          R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
          "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Pete, Your music taste helps explain why you like the Anarchy drivers!

Comment

Originally posted by marvin View Post
              Pete, Your music taste helps explain why you like the Anarchy drivers!
              Good point!
              Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Millar View Post
                I certainly don't get this sort of stuff, but each person has their own taste, and it would be pretty boring if everyone liked the same things.

However, have a look/listen to the clips recommended above, then have a look at the Jeff Beck concert in another recent PETT thread, and the Jimi Hendrix clip in post 23: I'll leave it to you to think about who has real talent and whose music people will be listening to in 20 years' time....

Geoff

100% Agreed diversity in musical taste keeps it interesting!
                That said 'whose music will people be listening to in 20 years time...' I'm sure that was said about Jimmy. Was likely said about Black Sabbath, or what about 80's Metallica, Pantera in the 90's? All music that has stood the test of time.

On topic, Some of the most talented drumming, technical, and tight talented performance live or studio, Gojira
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BmfSI3RRD4

Comment

Originally posted by guitar maestro View Post
                  I haven't gotten much exposure to Devin's newer stuff, but man do I remember breaking my neck to SYL's 1997 "City". Even to this day, it sounds absolutely killer. O.M. F.G. says it all.

That explains a lot. Not everyone can appreciate distortion together with discordance. Takes a very specific set of ears and noggin..
                  surely we're being trolled. What am I missing? Is he the band's rhythm guitarist? Does he play some lead at some point? I think I counted 4 cords he played - with distortion no less.

Comment

Originally posted by zomby woof View Post

I've always considered Clapton to be the most overrated guitarist in rock. On the way to work tonight I heard some Jeff Beck on the radio, a player I've always liked, who's vinyl I've listened to a lot and thought he may very well fit into a similar category. Of course it's all subjective but I think there are far better unknowns, and lot's of them than Beck or Clapton. The video posted originally? Not my thing. I'm a fusion guy.

after 50 years of selling out stadiums, I think clapton's paid his dues.

Comment

I just started reading "Jimi Hendrix: Soundscapes" by Marie-Paule Macdonald. Among other things, it talks about Hendrix and Clapton playing blues together in Greenwich Village, now that would have been something! What a shame there are no bootleg recordings.

Clapton and the late Michael Kamen recorded the soundtrack to the British TV series "Edge of Darkness", in which Eric sounds like a blend of Hendrix and Jeff Beck. I remember being knocked out by the music when I saw the TV show, as it sounded like a Hendrix outtake. It's not available on CD, and the live take from Eric's Albert Hall release doesn't measure up to the original, but it's around on a 45rpm 12" EP. Well worth searching for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bfPS7p6Z1k

For another demonstration of EC's musicianship, check out "Arpan", a Ravi Shankar composition which he wrote for the "Concert for George". EC plays a great acoustic part, fabulous stuff and quite out of his normal repertoire. Unfortunately there's no Youtube link for this track as the Harrison Estate is in the process of re-issuing the material, but it is available on the original CD set and DVDs.

I don't think anyone who hears these pieces would think that Eric's over-rated.

There are still, thankfully, great musicians everywhere and unfortunately many never get the breaks; I don't subscribe to the 'X is a better musician than Y" brigade but I get a kick out of steering people onto stuff they might not have listed to, and discovering stuff which people recommend to me - sometimes I like it, other times not but that's all part of the fun..

Geoff

Comment

Originally posted by dwigle View Post

after 50 years of selling out stadiums, I think clapton's paid his dues.
                        Taylor Swift and Justin Bieber sell out stadiums too . . .

Devin is lead and rhythm, and he writes some absolutely incredible stuff. So, you don't like MORE, and I really do. I put up Kingdom too, a completely different track with some amazing vocals.

Believe it or not, this is the same guy.

R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

"Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Originally posted by Birchmen View Post

100% Agreed diversity in musical taste keeps it interesting!
                          That said 'whose music will people be listening to in 20 years time...' I'm sure that was said about Jimmy. Was likely said about Black Sabbath, or what about 80's Metallica, Pantera in the 90's? All music that has stood the test of time.

On topic, Some of the most talented drumming, technical, and tight talented performance live or studio, Gojira
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BmfSI3RRD4
                          Jimmy? Jimmy who? Oh, did you perhaps mean Jimi?

Comment

Taylor Swift and Justin Bieber sell out stadiums too . . .

Devin is lead and rhythm, and he writes some absolutely incredible stuff. So, you don't like MORE, and I really do. I put up Kingdom too, a completely different track with some amazing vocals.

Believe it or not, this is the same guy.

​Pete is there a "band" or does he play most of the instruments? There are more than one artist that does that and just have some pro musicians to tour with or studio musicians for recording.

Comment

Originally posted by Squidspeak View Post

​Pete is there a "band" or does he play most of the instruments? There are more than one artist that does that and just have some pro musicians to tour with or studio musicians for recording.
                              Definitely has a band.

Look for Live at the Royal Albert Hall. Deadhead is a great cut.

Comment

Jimmy? Jimmy who? Oh, did you perhaps mean Jimi?
                                My official Polydor CD copy of 'War Heroes' credits 'Jimmy Hendrix' on the cover...they probably thought that Noel Redding was Otis' brother, too

Comment

Working...
                                X