Who doesn't want MORE?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Geoff Millar View Post

My official Polydor CD copy of 'War Heroes' credits 'Jimmy Hendrix' on the cover...they probably thought that Noel Redding was Otis' brother, too
    Hmmm, interesting. Regardless though he is known as Jimi. I have or had the same on vinyl (LP) and no misspelling's there.

Comment

You guys can understand the words in these :p

Comment

Hard to imagine my life without Devin Townsend's music.
        Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
        Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Originally posted by dwigle View Post

surely we're being trolled. What am I missing? Is he the band's rhythm guitarist? Does he play some lead at some point? I think I counted 4 cords he played - with distortion no less.
          You are missing his music writing ability. He is a very capable guitar player. He use to be in Steve Vai's band when he was younger.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post
            Hard to imagine my life without Devin Townsend's music.
            I think it was you that recommended Ziltoid years ago. First I had heard of Devin. Awesome album.

Comment

Taylor Swift and Justin Bieber sell out stadiums too . . .

Devin is lead and rhythm, and he writes some absolutely incredible stuff. So, you don't like MORE, and I really do. I put up Kingdom too, a completely different track with some amazing vocals.

Believe it or not, this is the same guy.

Alright, I'll give Devin a second listen. But my point about clapton; Taylor and Justin will not be selling out stadiums at 70 years old!

Comment

Ok, time for a litmus test for those following this thread (great discussion, even though you'll all wrong and I'm right), what's your opinion of Joe Bonamassa?

Comment

Speaking of Taylor Swift, I'll be visiting her home in Watch Hill, CT tomorrow night. Actually just looking over the fence from The Ocean House Hotel.

Comment

Ok, time for a litmus test for those following this thread (great discussion, even though you'll all wrong and I'm right), what's your opinion of Joe Bonamassa?
                    I personally don't care for him. He can play good but it seems so forced to me for some reason. One of my favorites for a mean blues guitar is Buddy Guy. Got to see him live at a Hendrix tribute a couple years ago.
                    Here is one of my all around favorites on guitar.

Comment

I haven't heard much of him, but he seems to have talent to spare; and a really nice sound. Also, he plays music and seems to love what he does, judging by YouTube clips.

For what it's worth (i.e. $0.02) my all time favourite rock guitar players, in no particular order and for different reasons are: Hendrix, Jeff Beck, Carlos Santana, George Harrison, SRV, John McLaughlin, Eric Clapton, Mark Knopfler and Duane Allman. And Brian May. And Chris Spedding. And Steve Hunter/Dick Wagner (has to be the duo). And...

Obvious fuddy duddy choices but not only can/could they really play, they're great musicians with a sense of what not to play as well as what to play.

Geoff

Comment

Hmmm, interesting. Regardless though he is known as Jimi. I have or had the same on vinyl (LP) and no misspelling's there.
                        Really sloppy work on the record company's part. Even my bootlegs spell his name properly!

There's a 1966 photo where the stage banner says "Jimmy Hendricks Experience".

Geoff

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Millar View Post

I haven't heard much of him, but he seems to have talent to spare; and a really nice sound. Also, he plays music and seems to love what he does, judging by YouTube clips.

For what it's worth (i.e. $0.02) my all time favourite rock guitar players, in no particular order and for different reasons are: Hendrix, Jeff Beck, Carlos Santana, George Harrison, SRV, John McLaughlin, Eric Clapton, Mark Knopfler and Duane Allman. And Brian May. And Chris Spedding. And Steve Hunter/Dick Wagner (has to be the duo). And...

Obvious fuddy duddy choices but not only can/could they really play, they're great musicians with a sense of what not to play as well as what to play.

Geoff

All great picks!

Quintessential Joe: at 1:30
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoX0Olfqziw

Joe with Clapton Royal Albert Hall: at 2:43

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u03h73ClZ8

Comment

Absolutely! Devin Townsend is a genius.

I skimmed through Transcendence, but not actually "listened". But "Kingdom" right there, WOW. He's come a long way since Strapping Young Lad! One of those songs that is immediately recognizable as amazing. Speechless & stunned.

I don't know if you know about former Emperor front-man Ihsahn, but that right there is another creative soul that went off on his own ways and went on to create amazing music. Went from black metal to progressive-ish type stuff.

Comment

To be honest, I've always been envious of anyone with fingers talented enough to instinctively navigate a fret board or keyboard and make a pleasing sound.
                              Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Comment

​Very talented classic blues player with an equally talented back up band. A couple years ago my employee gave me a DVD of a concert from the Royal Albert Hall.
                                ​It was very well produced and sounded awesome and his abilities were very evident. Couple years later went to see him live at the Count Basie theatre in
                                ​(Redbank, N.J.) which is a very nice venue for acoustics and visibility. Well it was just ok, I was underwhelmed after seeing several of his live performances on Bluray
                                ​it did not compare. I know every band has an off night or the sound guy on the board is arguing with his girlfriend but in one of the best sounding theatres something
                                was off. But make no mistake Joe B. is probably one of the best at what he does.

Comment

Working...
                                X