Ultimax 8

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultimax 8

So I bought a pair of 8in ultimax woofers and I am trying to decide what to do with them. Two small sealed woofers spread out? Iso subs? I want it to fill in the low end of a 2 channel system that will reach down to about the 40s and I plan to use a crown amp with DSP. What would you guys do?

21L Sealed box should do nicely with an F3 around 40.

Comment

I have a plan for those, a 15x14x19" box tuned to 27Hz using a 3" precision port. F3 of 23Hz, 106dB output with no exertion issues up to rated 300W.
      Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
      Wogg Music

Comment

Is it possible to make a temporary wall so I can try it sealed and vented?

Comment

I recommend 300w, as these can tax a 200w amp.
          Wolf
          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
          http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

https://www.parts-express.com/crown-...-ohms--245-507

This is what I was thinking of using.

Comment

I have some as well, so far I have used the 12", the 15" and the 18" Ultimax they all sounded great in sealed boxes with a Q
              of about 6.5, that would be about .8cuft for a F3 of 45ish that does not sound low enough but in room it could reach down
              to 30ish no problem and be very clean and accurate.
              Guess xmax's age.

My guess: 15. His grammar is passable. His trolling is good.

Comment

I have never had a sub before and the only sub I have really heard was a 10in Polk which was all right I guess. I am just really curious about the differences between sealed and ported or other styles .Plus I like the idea of having 2 subs to balance the room .

Comment

I agree I always run stereo subs, they will work well in sealed or a vented .8cuft box so you can always plug the port to see how you like
                  them sealed or ported. I have a ton on the table right now but this project is top priority. I will report back on this thread as soon as tomorrow
                  with my test results.
                  Guess xmax's age.

My guess: 15. His grammar is passable. His trolling is good.

Comment

I have one and I like it better in a small sealed box.
                    With room gain, the 10 L sealed box as suggested by PE works fine.
                    I used it in a larger ported box, and didn't like the sound at all.

With that said, I like the SB Acoustics SB23MFCL45-4 much more.
                    It is over 3dB more sensitive and it just sound more musical and natural to me.

For HT, the UM8 will render special effects with more 'boom' and power, but for music it is
                    night and day..

Comment

What didn't you like about the sound? I am planning on using these for both music and ht.

Comment

I liked the sound of the UM8 in a small sealed box for home theater in a room about 12' x 15'.
                        This is where the UM8 really shine in my opinion.. this little sub pumps a lot of air for its size.

But there are better subs for music (again, just my opinion).

For a mix of HT and music, with two separate subs to even out room modes, I think you'll be happy overall.

Comment

I've heard a setup of a pair Ultimax 8's, each with two 8" PRs. Sounds awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Ranis View Post
                            https://www.parts-express.com/crown-...-ohms--245-507

This is what I was thinking of using.
                            That's a decent amp, I picked one up to use for a friend of mine who I made dual 8" subwoofers for. It does have a switchable input sensitivity for RCA and XLR inputs for pro sound.

I'm not sure how you intend to hook it up, but with my friends high end AV receiver, he had to bump the internal output to almost max to get enough volume; and that was with an 8" RS subwoofer. I imagine that if your source didn't have a hot enough signal, you may not get the output you're looking for. Just a thought.

TomZ
                            *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
                            *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

I use that amp bridged to a 15 inch sub. I'm using the LFE output from and old AV receiver which is not adjustable. I think I had to move the Crown DSP low pass up in the frequency band before the sub sounded correct. My thought was low pass on low pass was probably pushing the response to low.
                              John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Working...
                              X