Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ultimax 8

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    I have an old pre amp with lfe or I would need another amp for the subs so I could use a high lvl input. I was hoping to use the lfe and both channels to simplify things.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Ranis View Post
      I have an old pre amp with lfe or I would need another amp for the subs so I could use a high lvl input. I was hoping to use the lfe and both channels to simplify things.
      That will work, see my note above. You don't need to bridge.
      John H

      Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

      Comment


      • #18
        With some suggesting the Ultimax, while sounding good sealed, state that there are better subs for music. So I'm left wondering if the Reference Series Subwoofer drivers are maybe better musically than the Ultimax, although most likely not as robust.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Waboo View Post
          With some suggesting the Ultimax, while sounding good sealed, state that there are better subs for music. So I'm left wondering if the Reference Series Subwoofer drivers are maybe better musically than the Ultimax, although most likely not as robust.

          I was wondering that myself. As far as the motor goes, the RS have a triple shorted motor (I'm guessing pole cap, upper & lower rings?), where as the Ultimax only has a copper sleeve-cap? Of course that is only one part of the whole equation as the linearity of the BL field and the suspension Kms adds up to quite a bit as well.

          Comment


          • #20
            I thought about going with the RS line at first but it looked like the box was going to be a lot bigger especially the hf version. Then I saw that the ultimax went on sale and thought since it's for both music and ht I would try that instead, it seems to do both well but time will tell.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Waboo View Post
              With some suggesting the Ultimax, while sounding good sealed, state that there are better subs for music. So I'm left wondering if the Reference Series Subwoofer drivers are maybe better musically than the Ultimax, although most likely not as robust.
              While I haven't tried an Ultimax, I use an RSS390HF in a sealed box as a woofer for music, up to 150Hz crossover. The bass is very clean and tight, comparable to my good headphones.
              Francis

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Ranis View Post
                I thought about going with the RS line at first but it looked like the box was going to be a lot bigger especially the hf version. Then I saw that the ultimax went on sale and thought since it's for both music and ht I would try that instead, it seems to do both well but time will tell.

                Comment


                • #23
                  That's small and low!! Maybe I'll have to take a serious look at getting some passive radiators.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Ranis View Post
                    That's small and low!! Maybe I'll have to take a serious look at getting some passive radiators.

                    Of course this kind of setup has very low sensitivity in the lowest octave and has to be made up [via DSP] with lots of clean amplifier power with very high headroom. Lucky for me, each one has a Peavey CS800X strapped to it. ;)

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Well you don't get something for nothing.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by wogg View Post
                        I have a plan for those, a 15x14x19" box tuned to 27Hz using a 3" precision port. F3 of 23Hz, 106dB output with no exertion issues up to rated 300W.
                        I have to keep that in mind. I was looking at the Ultimax 8 as well. Do you have a write up about the sub? Thx

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by crossbound View Post

                          I have to keep that in mind. I was looking at the Ultimax 8 as well. Do you have a write up about the sub? Thx
                          Nope, it's all theory right now. My ideal system would be a pair of stand 2 or 3 ways with a pair of small subs crossed with DSP for room corrections. While dreaming of having a place to put that system and then making the system itself, I've modeled a ton of small subs that included that Ulitmax driver at the higher end of the costs.
                          Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
                          Wogg Music

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...-dsp--300-8010
                            Do you guys think this would be a good match to my 8in ultimax or should I get something with more headroom? Was thinking of keeping it sealed to keep cost down.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Ranis View Post
                              https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...-dsp--300-8010
                              Do you guys think this would be a good match to my 8in ultimax or should I get something with more headroom? Was thinking of keeping it sealed to keep cost down.
                              I personally would go with more headroom.

                              I would still go with PR if it were me...With as low as the sensitivity is, it needs all the help it can get, IMO.....A single Earthquake 10" PR would do just fine, as they're capable of a lot of excursion....Right now they're $20 cheaper than they normally would be on Amazon Prime...I just bought 8....



                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Price does't look too bad. Are you going to build your PR setup soon?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X