Scan speak Ellipticor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scan speak Ellipticor

I see they are now in stock. Anyone planning to try these? Id love to see what type of improvement there might be over my illuminator two way. (Jeff Bagby Lightning) Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Right after I win the Lotto, holy crap! That said the science makes sense but I think I will hold off a bit...
    Guess xmax's age.

My guess: 15. His grammar is passable. His trolling is good.

Comment

$684.80!
      8 times the cost of the Rival R176-P-08 woofer
      5 times the cost of
      Dayton Audio ES180TiA-8
      10 times the cost of Anarchy - 708.

WOW!
      No matter where you go, there you are.
      Website

Comment

Reminds me of when Honda made a motorcycle with elliptical pistons. Because they could. Makes some sense for a speaker. FR plot does not amaze me though. And there is still a wrinkle in the impedance curve.
        I have both real and imaginary parts ...

Comment

Snake earl...

Comment

I still want to see 3rd party HD plots compared to the Ill and Rev equivalents by the same person to show how "unusually low" the HD is. The impedance is linear except for the blemish about 1.2k, but that blemish is prevalent on about 85-90% of 6-7" drivers due to the diameter of the piston. It's a surround resonance and it's not easy to eliminate. Even the Satori 16P has this little wrinkle. Sometimes the Baffle Step fills this in. Outside of that, the response is fairly linear, just happens to be rising instead of flat, and the breakup is rounded as opposed to steep and peaked. I feel it'd be relatively easy to flatten this out with a single inductor barring BS issues. Lastly, the sensitivity is really nice at 92dB, but the Fs is somewhat high for use as a midbass in some cases to get it there. Depending on volume and extension resulting, it's more of a lower midrange than your typical midbass from the same company. Don't get me wrong, it'll still go low enough for a lot of occasions, but an Fs of 27-30Hz it has not. The elliptical dustcap and round frame make the distance to the edges inconsistent, and I feel this is the reason the breakup is rather benign.

I don't think it's worth the cost to me, but I do feel it's pretty to look at from behind and pretty unearthly to look at as well from the front. It just looks wrong to my eyes. The tweeter looks more alien than the woofer does.

Later,
            Wolf
            "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
            "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
            "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
            "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
            http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

My memory has been jogged. So I dug out an old Audax catalog I have, from 1994. On the cover is a tweeter with an elliptical diaphragm, which is gold no less. But that tweeter does not appear anywhere within the catalog. My guess is it was an experiment they did. I always wondered if the voice coil was really elliptical, or the faceplate just had an elliptical aperture, since there is not a surround visible. Perhaps it was just a mockup that didn't work. Does anyone know if anyone else has ever done elliptical voice coils? As they say, there is nothing new in audio...

Comment

That is the old Audax HD3P tweeter. It's actually a piezo-electric tweeter, with an infamously inflated convex ovular diaphragm set atop of it, as well as a step-up transformer.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	tweeter_audax.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	1364599

I've never heard/seen one personally myself, but they have an enormous following of those that have them, and people have developed ways to reinflate the volume should they sag or deflate as they are known to do. It's also a physically large driver (5"?) in terms of average tweeter sizes nowadays.

Yes- the Ellipticor SS tweeter does remind me a bit of these drivers of old.

Later,
                Wolf
                "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                  That is the old Audax HD3P tweeter. It's actually a piezo-electric tweeter, with an infamously inflated convex ovular diaphragm set atop of it, as well as a step-up transformer. [ATTACH=CONFIG]n1364599[/ATTACH] .

I've never heard/seen one personally myself, but they have an enormous following of those that have them, and people have developed ways to reinflate the volume should they sag or deflate as they are known to do. It's also a physically large driver (5"?) in terms of average tweeter sizes nowadays.

Yes- the Ellipticor SS tweeter does remind me a bit of these drivers of old.

Later,
                  Wolf
                  Very interesting, thanks!

Comment

Klang & Ton have measured them.

Quote from tktran over at the htguide forum:

”Pros:
                    Above 92dB/2.83 sensitivity (4ohm driver)
                    Very smooth and workable frequency response.
                    Superb non-linear harmonic distortion, even when measured at 95dB/1m. Imagine a straight line from 200Hz all the way out to 10Khz, where H2/H3 seems to be at/below the noise floor- well that's what K&T measured
                    Superb waterfall

Cons:
                    Price- EU850 each
                    Blip seen around 1.4KHz (impedance trace and amplitude response, but not in harmonic distortion)
                    Did I mention the price is EU$850???

Summary:
                    Best driver I've seen between 200Hz and 2KHz. Almost the most expensive non-diamond driver I've seen between 20Hz and 20KHz...”
                    "It is only Scrooge McDuck and others with a personality disorder who have money as their goal"

Comment

It's funny the Satori 6" Midbass does not show a blemish @ 1.2-1.7K like most mid basses, the midrange version does and it has
                      a glob of soft looking glue on the underside of the cone about .5" from the surround...
                      Guess xmax's age.

Comment

Price seems appropriate for the difficulty of manufacture, honestly. Is this the new king of the hill for midrange cones?

I saw a youtube video on the MOTUS midbass, seemed like that's worthy of discussion as well.

Comment

Make that about .25"
                          Guess xmax's age.

Comment

Both those Satori plots have a dip in that range.
                            Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Originally posted by xmax View Post
                              It's funny the Satori 6" Midbass does not show a blemish @ 1.2-1.7K like most mid basses, the midrange version does and it has
                              a glob of soft looking glue on the underside of the cone about .5" from the surround...
                              Graphs are hard.
                              Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Working...
                              X