Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post

Graphs are hard.
    Especially if you don't know what impedance is.

"The impedance is linear except for the blemish about 1.2k, but that blemish is prevalent on about 85-90% of 6-7" drivers due to the diameter of the piston. It's a surround resonance and it's not easy to eliminate." Wolf
    Guess xmax's age.

My guess: 15. His grammar is passable. His trolling is good.

Comment

Originally posted by xmax View Post
      Make that about .25"
      That's intended to damp the surround resonance.

The SPL and impedance in both of those graphs show evidence of surround resonance. The difference is that in the second one it is better controlled and there is only a small reflection of it in the impedance curve which means it doesn't back-modulate the voice coil as much as the first one, but the resonance exists nevertheless.

dlr
      WinPCD - Windows .NET Passive Crossover Designer

Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

Originally posted by dlr View Post
        That's intended to damp the surround resonance.

The SPL and impedance in both of those graphs show evidence of surround resonance. The difference is that in the second one it is better controlled and there is only a small reflection of it in the impedance curve which means it doesn't back-modulate the voice coil as much as the first one, but the resonance exists nevertheless.

dlr

Exactly. This is the graph of the mid specific driver with the glob, that's what I found odd, there must be other mojo going on in the mid.
        Guess xmax's age.

Comment

I have no problem with the price tag (yes, diminishing returns and all.. blah blah blah..).

But..

Troels write up (Ellipticor One) doesn't make me want to rush out and go buy a pair of woofers or tweeters though.
          I was expecting comments like 'you'll be blown away' more than 'you won't be disappointed'.

I have used various drivers from SB (Satori), Motus, Scan Speak and I have never been disappointed.

Also, the woofer doesn't LOOK high-end (from the outside).. and I don't like how the tweeter is looking at me!

I can't wait to read more reviews..

Comment

It's odd to me in that a spherical section will have the highest area to weight ratio if the diaphragm is of equal material. And with something like a tweeter, moving mass is of the utmost importance. The elliptical diaphragm will have higher weight to area than a comparable circular voice coil.
            R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
            "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

PM me if you want to see K&T measurements for education and research purposes

Comment

It's odd to me in that a spherical section will have the highest area to weight ratio if the diaphragm is of equal material. And with something like a tweeter, moving mass is of the utmost importance. The elliptical diaphragm will have higher weight to area than a comparable circular voice coil.

And how does the creepy shape address the apex of the dome and it's tendency to stray from the signal...
                Guess xmax's age.

Comment

Originally posted by xmax View Post

And how does the creepy shape address the apex of the dome and it's tendency to stray from the signal...
                  Good point. You'll notice that the tweeter is far from "smooooooth" in its response. The 6600 Air Circ is quite a bit flatter by comparison.
                  R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                  "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

I've been looking at Troel's builds with these Ellipticor drivers, and while they're obviously super-nice-high-end stuff, I'm not super impressed. Especially $700 a woofer. I'd probably still get Accuton if I was spending that kind of money. It's a neat idea, for sure. I think most of the cost is associated with the elliptical tooling to produce the motor parts. I do really like the trim rings for hiding the screws.

Comment

Comment

I suspect that the diaphragm is not of equal material, in thickness that is.

Considering the shape and how resonances arise with a uniformly circular diaphragm, an elliptical shape likely will have significantly reduced or more distributed resonances since they are dependent upon geometry such as distance from voice coil attachment point to surround. That's no different than an offset driver on a baffle. Distribute the frequencies and you have reduced magnitudes.

In addition, it may be that due to the situation above that the material thickness can be thinner, reducing mass. If the surface area of the elliptical is the same as that of a contrasted circular one, then the only thing that can explain the increased sensitivity is reduced mass unless the voice coil in the gap is longer is the key. That may be the case since an elliptical coil may be longer for the same number of windings for a diaphragm with the same surface area as a circular one. More coil mass, but more coil in the gap.

Another consideration is that, again, for the same surface area, the depth of a diaphragm will be less than that of a circular one, thus it should have less of an issue with delay to the tip with no phase shield required for a metal dome possibly.

The one question I have is the off-axis. What is the recommend orientation? Long axis on the vertical? That should provide much better horizontal off-axis response with worsened vertical, but the latter is less significant in practice.

dlr

Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

Originally posted by zplane View Post
                          My memory has been jogged. So I dug out an old Audax catalog I have, from 1994. On the cover is a tweeter with an elliptical diaphragm, which is gold no less. But that tweeter does not appear anywhere within the catalog. My guess is it was an experiment they did.
                          That was a gas filled tweet - you get a fair few selling on ebay, some pristine, others all wrinkled from the gas escaping. Such a beautiful looking tweet tho. Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Comment

Dave, by improving manufacturing tolerance, the air gap around the coil can be reduced increasing sesnsititivity, but increasing risk of rubbing Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DDF View Post
                              Dave, by improving manufacturing tolerance, the air gap around the coil can be reduced increasing sesnsititivity, but increasing risk of rubbing Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
                              I hadn't thought of that. I'm still curious to know whether the geometry provides a more rigid structure which could also allow for thinner material. Certainly will change any inherent resonances due to more randomization. What we need is to see the spec for mms.

dlr

Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

Working...
                              X