Horn Expert Needed.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horn Expert Needed.

So I'm working with a studio that has horn(!) subs, they like the sound of them but one driver is blown
    and they have no info on the horn or driver. I can measure the Thiele/Small parameters of the good
    driver. My plan is to find a driver that matches the specs as closely as possible and listen to it. If it
    does well, I will replace both sides with the new hopefully superior driver.

What are the most critical specs I should be looking at? I would be crazy to try to learn in a short amount
    of time what a horn dog has learned over their loud life!
    Guess xmax's age.

My guess: 15. His grammar is passable. His trolling is good.

The usual specs matter, Qes, Qms, Fs, Vas, Sd and xmax. The only way to predict how any driver will work is the same as with any speaker, with modeling software. That can be a problem with a horn if you can't accurately blueprint it.
    www.billfitzmaurice.com
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

If this helps, it looks very similar to a Danley TH115.
      Guess xmax's age.

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
        The usual specs matter, Qes, Qms, Fs, Vas, Sd and xmax. The only way to predict how any driver will work is the same as with any speaker, with modeling software. That can be a problem with a horn if you can't accurately blueprint it.

Qes, Qms, Vas, how would you prioritize these 3? It is a tapped horn.
        Guess xmax's age.

Comment

Originally posted by xmax View Post
          Qes, Qms, Vas, how would you prioritize these 3?
          You can't. Everything matters.
          www.billfitzmaurice.com
          www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

If this helps, it looks very similar to a Danley TH115.
            I believe the TH115 uses a B&C driver. If this is someone's clone of a TH115, it could be something else, obviously. Perhaps you could post a picture of the driver. One of the horn too would also be interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by zplane View Post

I believe the TH115 uses a B&C driver. If this is someone's clone of a TH115, it could be something else, obviously. Perhaps you could post a picture of the driver. One of the horn too would also be interesting.

I can't, they asked me not to, but I believe somebody involved with Danley built it and it is very similar to a TH115.
              some sort of politics are involved...
              Guess xmax's age.

Comment

I want to replace with 2 15"s per side in their own ported box's tuned to G#0 and A#0.
                But I need to try and make the horn work first.
                Guess xmax's age.

Comment

I can't, they asked me not to, but I believe somebody involved with Danley built it and it is very similar to a TH115.
                  Ah, I remember some years ago Danley started making a tapped horn sub aimed at home theater, that went lower than a TH115. Could be an Eminence Lab 12. They don't handle as much power as a typical B&C, and are not as reliable. But lower fs. But could be a Dayton sub driver also.

Comment

It is a 15" would that new Peerless beast work? I have a couple laying around...
                    Guess xmax's age.

Comment

It is a 15" would that new Peerless beast work? I have a couple laying around...
                      Well it would make noise. But odds of it sounding smooth are slim.

Comment

Tom Danley was very much into DIY, and he was a judge at MWAF two years ago. If you email him at Danley Sound Labs about the driver he might answer you!

Comment

Not to diminish the fact that Bill has stated that all parameters are important once a design has already been established, it has been my experience with modeling software that the higher the throat compression, the lower the Qes needs to be (and thus Qts) in order to get a somewhat smooth response, especially if you're trying to implement singles that will not be close enough to mutually couple. The lower the Qes, the less ripple you may encounter. It's not guaranteed because there are so many variables to a horn design, but you have a better overall chance

Comment

You can't even post a picture of the driver?

Comment

Oh the irony! You can post shots of scantily clad women on an audio board but not of a speaker!

I'm guessing this was an unauthorized clone of a Danley, so the people involved don't want to be noticed.

Comment

Working...
                              X