Fast and Furious design thoughts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fast and Furious design thoughts

Hey guys, trying to help a friend out (actually his wife) for a high school class thing and it requires a stereo for the gym THIS THURSDAY. Keep in mind THE ONLY ALTERNATIVE TO THIS IS A BOOMBOX in a gym.

I have offered to potentially lend my equipment lying around, utilizing a design Chuck and Craig helped me out with paired with an Aura MR-18 subwoofer. Problem is I don't have an enclosure for the 18". I'm in the middle of an infinite baffle build for it so it is available to be used. I will be in control of the levels so no one else is responsible for possible damage.

I have plenty of power to max it out, not an issue.

What alignment would be best for me to use? My buddy is going to supply material. I was thinking a horn/line variation but have heard rumblings that 18's aren't the best option for a horn. Should I just go with a ported enclosure? I have a 6" pvc pipe of about 36" I could use for the port.

Thoughts??
    Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

4-6cu.ft. as wide a baffle as you can fit safely in your vehicle.
    Seal it and stuff a blanket or a couple of pillows in there, this IS a hurry-up job that you (probably) will not keep.
    Screw it together and use a silicone sealer that will strip out nicely later.(no need to waste plywood)
    It will take you longer to make a good cutout than all the rest of it. A couple of intersecting stick braces, too.

You need the wide baffle to work with the floor and hopefully a wall. The Aura is a monster, but it's not a PA monster, so give it a chance at filling an auditorium.
    You'll blow them away with the sound from what you've 'thrown together'!

Good luck, Mr. Butts. If you are captured the secretary will disavow all knowledge of your actions........

Comment

4~6 cu.ft. sealed seems to be the thing, though efficiency is just a little on the low side for this type of use. It will be better than a boombox though.

​A 4th order BP alignment could be used to get the efficiency up a bit (by 3~6dB), but your main speakers will have to be capable of reaching down to at least 80 Hz....
      Brian Steele
      www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Thanks guys! Easy peasy if no one else chimes in.

Mains will be an 8” 2-way with the faital 8fe200....
        Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

I think DavidB has a good idea. It's temporary, so something that's easy to bang together, and reusing the material would be a plus.
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...khanspires-but
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...pico-neo-build
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ensation-build

Comment

Working...
          X