New Toys! Upcoming build.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Toys! Upcoming build.

Having a hard time deciding which I'm more excited about, the drivers or the paint gun. They are both super sexy! Woofers are the new Ceramic SB17CAC35-4 and the Ribbon tweeters are the Bozhen CQ66's (bought them from Rick Craig at Selah Audio). Also purchased additional round faceplates since I haven't finalized a design yet.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Ceramic woofs and Ribbon tweets.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	327.7 KB
ID:	1365163

Name:	Devilbiss Finishline.jpg
Size:	460.3 KB
ID:	1365164

My "No-Name" CC Speaker
    Kerry's "Silverbacks"
    Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
    The Archers
    Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
    The Gandalf's

Did a preliminary model for the smaller 5" woofer a while back. May go with something like this for the new drivers. The body of the cabinets will be painted to match the Ceramic cones and the baffles will either be an exotic veneer or possibly carbon fiber.

Name:	SB15 cabinets.jpg
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	1365171
    My "No-Name" CC Speaker
    Kerry's "Silverbacks"
    The Archers
    The Gandalf's

Comment

Very nice. Really interested in your thoughts on the tweeter
      craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Nice choice of drivers. I have the Nac version w/ Viawaves. Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by craigk View Post
          Very nice. Really interested in your thoughts on the tweeter
          I'll let you know. Have worked with AMT's before, this will be my first ribbon build.
          My "No-Name" CC Speaker
          Kerry's "Silverbacks"
          The Archers
          The Gandalf's

Comment

Depends on what tips you got for the gun...
            John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Hi Kevin,

I think that's a great combination. I'm looking forward to hearing the SB CAC drivers. Curt had a TMM design at Dakota and Iowa DIY using the CQ76 ribbon and it sounded great. I'm curious how low you can cross the CQ66's. I'm looking forward to seeing your build.

Jim

Comment

That's a very cool looking cabinet Kevin. I have a pair of the little bother to that woofer, the SB15CAC30-08, that I will be using as a dedicated mid in a 3 way. Very high quality on these SB ceramic drivers.
                Craig

Comment

Originally posted by jhollander View Post
                  Depends on what tips you got for the gun...
                  Included was the 1.3, 1.5, and 1.8. Had it also come with the 2.2, the choice would be a no brainer.
                  My "No-Name" CC Speaker
                  Kerry's "Silverbacks"
                  The Archers
                  The Gandalf's

Comment

I vote for carbon fiber with the white enclosure ...

Comment

Round face plate.
                      Kenny

http://www.diy-ny.com/
                      DIY NY/NJ 2014 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGwA...ature=youtu.be
                      Man does not live by measurements alone, a little music helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Holtz View Post
                        Hi Kevin,

I think that's a great combination. I'm looking forward to hearing the SB CAC drivers. Curt had a TMM design at Dakota and Iowa DIY using the CQ76 ribbon and it sounded great. I'm curious how low you can cross the CQ66's. I'm looking forward to seeing your build.

Jim
                        Thanks Jim. I know Rick wouldn't steer me wrong and he felt this would be good pairing. Build is gonna take a little while (most of mine do), crossovers will take even longer.

Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post
                        That's a very cool looking cabinet Kevin. I have a pair of the little bother to that woofer, the SB15CAC30-08, that I will be using as a dedicated mid in a 3 way. Very high quality on these SB ceramic drivers.
                        Thanks for the kudos on the cab Craig. I realize it's a bad word on this forum, but it's hard to argue with the cost to value ratio of the SB drivers. Looking forward to your 3-way.
                        My "No-Name" CC Speaker
                        Kerry's "Silverbacks"
                        The Archers
                        The Gandalf's

Comment

Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post

Ch*stAlmighty - that SB15CAC has a flat response., and breakup is way out of the passband.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
                          "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
                          SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
                          My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Originally posted by donradick View Post

Ch*stAlmighty - that SB15CAC has a flat response., and breakup is way out of the passband.
                            I've been told that in a lot of cases, their drivers actually measure better then the factory graphs.
                            My "No-Name" CC Speaker
                            Kerry's "Silverbacks"
                            The Archers
                            The Gandalf's

Comment

I am most interested to hear how the ceramic drivers sound and how easy they are to cross over. And how solid the bass will be. They are tasty looking, as are the white papyrus.

Comment

Working...
                              X