Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any experience with Dayton RS225-8?

nd order at 600 Hz to Scan-Speak 13M/8640

I think I can reach abt 30 litres CB when flushmount the baffle and reduce the mid-cabinet size

Regards//lasse
    Click image for larger version

Name:	RFL-DVC sidewiew.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	1365189 Click image for larger version

Name:	RFL-DVC frontwiew.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	1365190
    Perry Mason talking to his dentist:

"Do you swear to take the tooth, the whole tooth and nothing but the tooth, so help you God?"

LR2 @ 600 would be no problem . in my current project i'm doing LR2 @ 900 ...
    Paper Towers
    RS180P/28F surrounds
    Boombox

Comment

Originally posted by filmslayer View Post
      LR2 @ 600 would be no problem . in my current project i'm doing LR2 @ 900 ...
      Nice,

Is this a good sounding woofer, in your opinion?

"Do you swear to take the tooth, the whole tooth and nothing but the tooth, so help you God?"

Comment

yes . nice bang for the buck . i have 2 in my center channel and here is current project http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...m/1360812-next
        Paper Towers
        RS180P/28F surrounds
        Boombox

Comment

I am considering a stepped baffle, making the mid and the woofer coming out 19 mm and crossing tw/mid 1st order at 3000 Hz.

Regards// Lasse

Comment

It's a fabulous driver. 30L is a bit on the small side but will work tuned to 30hz. That would be a 2" diameter vent 7.3" long with one flared end. I've used them higher than 600, but 600 seems to be ideal for that driver.

Comment

Hello

I haven't heard this driver, but Curt Campbell uses it in several of his designs - so it must be good!

Looks really nice, too.

Geoff

Comment

Did a re-fit of an old vintage 2-way with the RS225-8 and the RS28F crossed at around 1500Hz. Stunned at how good they sounded. Great woofer.
                R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

I have a pair of the paper-cone versions in a 78L cabinet tuned to 32 Hz and they sound absolutely wonderful. They are crossed a littler lower though, right around 180 Hz to an RS180P-4. I imagine the aluminum version being comparable in performance. But they can put out some serious bass, not subwoofer bass, but nice, clean, well-defined low end, perfect for music. I'm not sure where the upper limit on these would be though, since I don't use them up very high, but for a bass driver they are quite nice.

Comment

Did a re-fit of an old vintage 2-way with the RS225-8 and the RS28F crossed at around 1500Hz. Stunned at how good they sounded. Great woofer.
                    Any details on that?

Comment

Originally posted by Millstonemike View Post
                      Any details on that?
                      I'll see if I can have my buddy Otto send me some pics of the final product, but picture sparkly black grill cloth over dark walnut boxes and you'll have a good idea. Lots of diffraction to deal with in the enclosure that shows up in the tweeter response plot.

We wound up with LR4 on tweeter and woofer. 12uF and 2.2 Ohm in series with the tweeter (+) and .25mH shunt
                      2.2mH, 18uF + 1.5 Ohm shunt, and .8mH input to the woofer (+)

Name:	von retro.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	1365311
                      R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                      "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

I'll see if I can have my buddy Otto send me some pics of the final product, but picture sparkly black grill cloth over dark walnut boxes and you'll have a good idea. Lots of diffraction to deal with in the enclosure that shows up in the tweeter response plot.

We wound up with LR4 on tweeter and woofer. 12uF and 2.2 Ohm in series with the tweeter (+) and .25mH shunt
                        2.2mH, 18uF + 1.5 Ohm shunt, and .8mH input to the woofer (+)
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]n1365311[/ATTACH]
                        Thanks. I was thinking of using the RS-225 in my large Advent cabs with missing woofers and good original tweeters. But I was having problems crossing circa 1500 Hz, dealing with the RS-225 breakup. In the meantime, added some MCM 12" woofers and a cap/resistor to make the woofer LP 2nd order.

Comment

I crossed a parallel pair over to the RS52, 2nd order (sort of... it's a Duelund crossover) at around 600 hz in my Trilliums. I can't recall how I have them tuned, but the cabinets are around 75 liters. I have a few recordings that they can't keep up with, such as the Mercury Living Presence Firebird and the Reference Recordings Fiesta, but those really require a subwoofer. I'm completely happy with them.

Comment

Like Pete, I paired an RS225-8 with an RS28F in my RS duets, a floor-standing ML-TL. "Markk" did the crossover design, a notched, Cauer-Elliptic having quasi-8th-order roll-offs at 1400 Hz. The system tuning frequency was 29 Hz and the predicted anechoic f3 was 32 Hz.
                            Paul

Name:	Cabinet front without grille.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	1365333

Comment

Hello,

and thanks for all the feedback.

I am now convinced that the RS225-8 is the right woofer for me.

Now, you cunning DIY-ers, used to this woofer, what do you think?
                              I have in my inventory a pair of Dayton RS52AN-8 mids. Is this a better choise than the existing SS 13M/8640, given the new woofers in the system you can see on the pictures in the OP?

Regards//lasse

Comment

Working...
                              X