Looking for some advice: RSS315-PR vs SD315-PR

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for some advice: RSS315-PR vs SD315-PR

I'm looking at a build with passive radiators and I'm trying to decide between using a single RSS315-PR or a pair of SD315-PR. The RSS315 is listed as having an XMECH of 26mm and the SD315 is listed as having an XMAX of 10mm. Assuming that the discrepancy between XMECH and XMAX are a moot point (maybe XMECH of the SD315 is 13mm?), the RSS315-PR would yield a slightly higher Vd since I would use two of the SD315. I have modeled both, and in the same enclosure I can achieve the same F3, within a couple Hz. I can achieve a slightly shallower roll-off with the pair of SD315-PR, but it's not a huge difference between the two.

My biggest concern is that in my opinion, the RSS315 appears a little more rugged (Aluminum cone vs paper cone, slightly beefier surround, etc). The pair of SD315 would also be slightly cheaper. Has anybody seen/used both of these and could provide some input on which they would choose? Anybody else have any input or recommendations?

As long as the SD315 can handle the load of added mass, you should be fine. Those are the weak points- Not enough Xmax or Mms capabilities in the SD product line.

Later,
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Since you're looking at a passive device and don't have a speaker with a motor and voice coil, Xmech = xmax.

As you approach xmech there will be some non-linearity as the suspension reaches its limits, so having a bit of excursion to spare is never a bad thing. Other than that, the suspension just has to be capable of carrying the weight, I don't know if the RSS-PR has a single or dual spider, if its just a single it likely has similar weight capacity to the SD line, but with the obvious extra excursion capability.
      "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
      exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. Since the RSS315-PR went on the flash sale today... I think I'll go that route. Plus, like dcibel said, a little spare excursion to keep the PR linear isn't a bad idea.

Comment

Working...
        X