Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone Built Pete's New Designs: Apollo / Ares ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pete Schumacher View Post
    I’ll touch base with Erich to see if he’s up for a MTM Ares
    Any update on these coming to fruition?

Comment

• So close but so far I guess -- dead in the water without an xo.
      I did purchase 12 woofers a couple of years ago, just to experiment with.
      Using 6 woofers now in 3 MTMs with the Dayton RS28f (NLA)

Comment

• Originally posted by HIFY GUY View Post
        So close but so far I guess -- dead in the water without an xo.
        Erich's been doing a lot of work behind the scenes getting a new space set up. Been conversing with him recently. Turns out we will be revisiting the Ares soon fitted with a different tweeter. I'll bring up the MTM idea again. Maybe we can take care of both projects at the same time.
        R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
        Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
        "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

• My timing is way off, and i am slow. Every time i consider starting a project, it's no longer in stock or available.
          I have some seos12's and dna 360's i need to use soon, but the woofer i was going to use is not currently in a kit from diysg, and don't have many passive xovers discussed online from non kit speaker designs of past. Will have to go digital xover i guess.

Was looking at the apollos.

I just bought some seos8 waveguides and might use with my new rst28's and possibly with an rs270p 10". Ok efficiency and loud.

Hopefully with the new rst28's there can be some new projects.
          Curious what kind of stuff he will have in future.
          I have new woodworking tools, so can do some nicer projects in the future. If i get any Apollo's in the future, will post.

I need clean, sensitivity, reasonably flat response (critical monitor in my case) and capable of some decent spl. Only need to go down to 80hz. Apollos look nice. The more speakers i can experiment with, the better. :D

Comment

• Hey Pete,

How do you like the TW030WA11 compared to the DA25BG08-06?

Thanks!

Comment

• Pete, Thanks, hopefully I can try the Apollo soon and plan on buying more woofers as soon as they are available.

New set up,,, I know how that is, just moved to a new location; everything is super heavy and then there's the wiring, dust collection..etc.

Second pic is a mistake,,,needed a matching pair but cut/ripped the MTM and made a TMM, should have gone the other way (pair MTMs)
              Note the speaker on the left tho, I found that the extra felt and BB ply really made a difference in the richness of the sound.

tmhutson,,,,you'll love the Anarchy's, cannot comment on the Wavecor.

btw,,have a stash of BB ply, 7 full sheets.

Comment

• Originally posted by monkish54 View Post
                Hey Pete,

Thanks!
                When the Ares speaker was getting designed I ordered a couple of DA25BG08 tweeters for the prototypes and one had issues, so I bought a 3rd one. Once Pete finished the design I bought parts for 10 kits. Out of those I think 3-4 had issues where that metal mesh over the dome was either not attached or it was crooked and sticking into the domes surround. We wanted to make the MTM version and I decided that it probably wasn't a good idea to move forward with the same tweeter due to those issues. So we're debating which tweeter to use in the new model.

Comment

• Originally posted by monkish54 View Post
                  Hey Pete,

Thanks!
                  When the quality issues are not in the mix they're both very nice performers. The Wavecor lends itself nicely to larger woofers thanks to the shallow guide providing some acoustic offset. It's also very robust and can easily cross at 1500 or lower. The Peerless can't quite match it in that respect.
                  R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
                  Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

"Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

• Hopefully the Ares MTM comes to fruition soon....

Comment

• Motor running now and xo completed, will be back with the results soon.

Originally posted by HIFY GUY View Post
                      So close but so far I guess -- dead in the water without an xo.

Comment

• Petei,
                        I ordered a pair of the Wavecor W30/ 12 8 ohm from Solen today. I plan on an MTM using Usher 8945p 7" drivers. Dennis Murphy (murphyblaster) has a MTM 2 way design on his website that has a crossover for the dual Ushers. Any ideas on the tweeter crossover would be welcome.
                        thanks, Ann

Comment

• Originally posted by annjones13 View Post
                          Petei,
                          I ordered a pair of the Wavecor W30/ 12 8 ohm from Solen today. I plan on an MTM using Usher 8945p 7" drivers. Dennis Murphy (murphyblaster) has a MTM 2 way design on his website that has a crossover for the dual Ushers. Any ideas on the tweeter crossover would be welcome.
                          thanks, Ann
                          There’s really no way I can suggest a crossover that would “work” with those woofers. At best it would be a wild guess and I’d rather not do that. You might ask Dennis though.

Comment

• Originally posted by annjones13 View Post
                            Petei,
                            thanks, Ann
                            Where is the design for the mtm? I see the original usher 2-way but no mtm on Dennis's site.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erich H View Post

When the Ares speaker was getting designed I ordered a couple of DA25BG08 tweeters for the prototypes and one had issues, so I bought a 3rd one. Once Pete finished the design I bought parts for 10 kits. Out of those I think 3-4 had issues where that metal mesh over the dome was either not attached or it was crooked and sticking into the domes surround. We wanted to make the MTM version and I decided that it probably wasn't a good idea to move forward with the same tweeter due to those issues. So we're debating which tweeter to use in the new model.
                              Thanks for the heads-up, Erich! If I do go with that tweeter, I'll make sure to check both for consistency.

Originally posted by Pete Schumacher View Post

When the quality issues are not in the mix they're both very nice performers. The Wavecor lends itself nicely to larger woofers thanks to the shallow guide providing some acoustic offset. It's also very robust and can easily cross at 1500 or lower. The Peerless can't quite match it in that respect.
                              I typically prefer hard domes to soft domes, so I lean in the direction of the DA25BG08 if it truly is a good unit. I'm building a new 5.2 system, so I save a good bit of money going with the Peerless as well.

I am looking to cross around 1500-2000 to a ZA14W08. I find myself listening at reference level quite a bit, can the DA25BG08 handle "extreme" volumes as low as 1500, 1800?

Thanks!

Comment

• To find the MTM design, search:
                                usher_mtm peerless HDS
                                design by J. Kim

Comment

Working...
                                X