Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone Built Pete's New Designs: Apollo / Ares ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The little Anarchy has the following specs. I've only measured the 8 Ohm version.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n1367762[/ATTACH]

The 7" 8 and 4 Ohm models are below.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n1367763[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n1367764[/ATTACH]
    Very cool. Thank you so much.

Comment

The little Anarchy has the following specs. I've only measured the 8 Ohm version.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n1367762[/ATTACH]

The 7" 8 and 4 Ohm models are below.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n1367763[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n1367764[/ATTACH]
      The little one looks like it could go in a sealed or ported. Hmm. I posted about using my .28cuft box. That little guy might work.

Comment

I got the one Apollo TM I have from Erich up and running last night. I plan to use it as the center channel with the MTM. Looks good from the measurements. And with just one playing in the living room, it sure sounds like a BIG speaker.

Click image for larger version

Name:	response.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	1368590
        R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
        "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Is there an ETA of when the Apollo TM might become available? I'd love to try the MTM but my budget tells me different. Maybe I can get a pair slipped into the wedding registry!

Comment

Erich at diysg is pretty good at answering emails, he doesn't seem to follow this forum very much.

Comment

Originally posted by Waltzilla View Post
              Is there an ETA of when the Apollo TM might become available? I'd love to try the MTM but my budget tells me different. Maybe I can get a pair slipped into the wedding registry!
              Erich's been sent the crossover details so whenever he can make the time I'm sure it will show up. No doubt this will be a TM monitor that will absolutely shock people. Those woofers are awesome.
              R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

"Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

I am going to have to build one of your designs. What is the cabinet size for that? That is not on the site yet either.

Also, how does the tweeter sound compare to say the outgoing RS28 which I have in a monitor?

Comment

The Apollo TM page is up, just no price or stock yet. From the page, 9.25" w, 14.5" h, 11.5" d.

Comment

Originally posted by stephenmarklay View Post
                    I am going to have to build one of your designs. What is the cabinet size for that? That is not on the site yet either.

Also, how does the tweeter sound compare to say the outgoing RS28 which I have in a monitor?
                    Hard to say, but I'd guess very comparable sound between the RS28 and the Wavecor. They're both very capable with extended low end with the edge going to the Wavecor based on measurements I've taken. I'd feel comfortable crossing the Wavecor a bit lower than the RS28.

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
                      The Apollo TM page is up, just no price or stock yet. From the page, 9.25" w, 14.5" h, 11.5" d.
                      I was referring to the Aries. I have a box that just might work of that one.

Comment

Originally posted by stephenmarklay View Post

I was referring to the Aries. I have a box that just might work of that one.
                        The Ares enclosure I'm working with at the moment is 12"H x 10"D x 8"W with .5" thick walls (well braced) and a .75" baffle.

Comment

I have a few questions for Pete, or anyone willing to offer their thoughts...

I'm very new to DIY audio and have greatly enjoyed reading and learning on this forum. So thank you to all who contribute and design, and all who are patient with other newbies like me!

I'm looking to build a matching home theater system, Front L/C/R and am considering the Ares (as well as the Swope system). I have already built the C-Notes (my 1st build) and will use them as surrounds for the time being. I have also just finished building a 12" sealed sub using the Dayton HF Line (RSS315HFA-8), powered with a Yamaha pro amp, so there is plenty of bass on tap. I'm pretty stoked about it! The problem is, I went a little too big on the sub (2 cu ft box), now I don't have enough room for tower speakers like I would prefer to build. So I need to use something relatively narrow and stand mounted to make the front stage work (its a bit of a strange room layout).

The room is at least medium size at 16'x17'. My questions are:

1. Will the Ares get the job done for both music and movies in a room this size? I don't listen at reference level, but do like to crank it a little from time-to-time. I'm using an Onkyo RZ-810 (130 watts w/2 ch driven), but have never turned it past -12, and it is usually between -40 and -20.

2. Could you give a ball park estimate as to how loud the Ares can play when run full range with content down to 40hz? If this is the wrong question to ask, feel free to let me know . I'm still learning.

3. I actually prefer to listen to my cd's in 2 channel mode with no sub. Do you think these will give enough on the low end to be sufficient?

This looks like a really awesome compact design, so I thought I would inquire!

Thanks in advance,
                          Brian

PS - I posted the best pic I had on my phone that shows you the limitations on my layout. Pay no mind to the unfinished OS MTM being used as a center, or the less then ideal placement of the fronts . Its a work in progress. also sorry for the long post. As you can see, I'm pretty enthused about upgrading my system!

Comment

Originally posted by BrianRIC View Post

1. Will the Ares get the job done for both music and movies in a room this size? I don't listen at reference level, but do like to crank it a little from time-to-time. I'm using an Onkyo RZ-810 (130 watts w/2 ch driven), but have never turned it past -12, and it is usually between -40 and -20.

2. Could you give a ball park estimate as to how loud the Ares can play when run full range with content down to 40hz? If this is the wrong question to ask, feel free to let me know . I'm still learning.

3. I actually prefer to listen to my cd's in 2 channel mode with no sub. Do you think these will give enough on the low end to be sufficient?
                            Hi Brian,

Ares does use the Anarchy 558 woofer, so it does have a remarkable amount of pure output capacity unequaled by any other 5.5" woofer. In a .5 cu.ft. enclosure tuned to 43Hz, it will be power limited to just over 101dB at 40Hz and 103 above that. Xmax is not exceeded with 70W input. 100dB is pretty darn loud and with two of them playing while you're sitting 10' away, you will still be getting mid 90s SPL. If you do the MTM version which hasn't been finished yet, add 6dB to the total output potential.

I've been listening to it for a couple months now and do not notice anything lacking in bass response, and I'm running it in about .35cf cabinets. They're pretty remarkable small monitors.

Comment

Thanks so much for the quick and detailed response. That is very helpful. I think we have a winner! Now I just have to decide whether to wait for the MTM or roll with the TM version. Hmmm tough call...

Comment

As a follow up to the MTM consideration...
                                I have recently learned that MTM's are not as ideal for center channel duty as I used to think (which I believe you discussed on this thread). With that said, I see that some MTM's are considered more acceptable for horizontal placement than others (closer driver spacing, offset tweeter, low crossover point, etc.). With that said, how acceptable would the Ares MTM be as a center? Would there be any optional modifications that the builder could do to improve it for horizontal placement?

I was just planning to use the TM version for my center since the cabinet height will fit under my TV (although just barely). But I would consider doing the whole system MTM, if it could be a good center.

Comment

Working...
                                X