Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone Built Pete's New Designs: Apollo / Ares ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrianRIC View Post
    As a follow up to the MTM consideration...
    I have recently learned that MTM's are not as ideal for center channel duty as I used to think (which I believe you discussed on this thread). With that said, I see that some MTM's are considered more acceptable for horizontal placement than others (closer driver spacing, offset tweeter, low crossover point, etc.). With that said, how acceptable would the Ares MTM be as a center? Would there be any optional modifications that the builder could do to improve it for horizontal placement?

I was just planning to use the TM version for my center since the cabinet height will fit under my TV (although just barely). But I would consider doing the whole system MTM, if it could be a good center.
    I plan on using the Apollo TM as my center. But if you were going to build the Ares MTM as a center and cut all your own panels including the baffle, I'd opt to arrange the woofers as close together as possible and put the tweeter at the apex of a triangle above and between the woofers in as compact an arrangement as possible. It will be a little taller than a typical MTM and shorter than a TM, but you'd get the best possible horizontal dispersion that way.

Another possibility would be to just build a set of three Apollo TM instead of the Ares MTM. The big Anarchy have incredible bass.
    R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
    "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

It is only a matter of time I build one of yours designs with the Anarchy woofers. For my listening room the Apollo as a TMM floor stander would be sweet. I had some others in mind but I would love to build up something that rocked. Well really my wife would love it more since she likes to listen to classic rock and my little speakers are never up to the task.

Comment

Originally posted by stephenmarklay View Post
        It is only a matter of time I build one of yours designs with the Anarchy woofers. For my listening room the Apollo as a TMM floor stander would be sweet. I had some others in mind but I would love to build up something that rocked. Well really my wife would love it more since she likes to listen to classic rock and my little speakers are never up to the task.
        You'll love what they do with rock music, old, new and alternative.

R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

"Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Pete,

I am excited to build the Apollo TM speakers! My son and I are going to build a set for his room. Once completed, we'll put them through a rigorous series of tests with lots of loud, bass heavy music and report the results. I'm pretty sure I will be building a second set after our tests.

Thank you,

tom

Comment

Originally posted by 4anaudionut View Post
            Pete,

I am excited to build the Apollo TM speakers! My son and I are going to build a set for his room. Once completed, we'll put them through a rigorous series of tests with lots of loud, bass heavy music and report the results. I'm pretty sure I will be building a second set after our tests.

Thank you,

tom

Comment

Pete, your enthusiasm for these is awesome. Will definitely be building one of these later this year.

Comment

I got my order placed today for 3 Ares! I started building the cabinets over the weekend. Hopefully the package will be here by Friday so I can start routing the baffles this weekend. I decided to use 3/4" MDF instead of 1/2". Compensated for the lost internal volume by making the depth 11.5", instead of the recommended 10".

Comment

Originally posted by BrianRIC View Post
                  I got my order placed today for 3 Ares! I started building the cabinets over the weekend. Hopefully the package will be here by Friday so I can start routing the baffles this weekend. I decided to use 3/4" MDF instead of 1/2". Compensated for the lost internal volume by making the depth 11.5", instead of the recommended 10".
                  I'm still tweaking the XO.

By the time Erich has your order ready to go I'll have the final schematic to him.

Comment

Thanks for the update! That's cool, I'm not in a rush. Tweak on

Comment

Looking forward to more comments on apollo mtm.
                      I was close to ordering some peerless ne180w to make mtm with morel 378 tweeter.
                      How did you stain the apollos brought to diyiowa (midwestaudio club) 2017 ?

my wife has banned black speakers, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by norman bates View Post
                        Looking forward to more comments on apollo mtm.
                        I was close to ordering some peerless ne180w to make mtm with morel 378 tweeter.
                        How did you stain the apollos brought to diyiowa (midwestaudio club) 2017 ?

my wife has banned black speakers, lol.
                        I'd sure like some feedback on the Apollo MTM as well.
                        Erich has apparently almost sold out of the woofers but I have yet to see any review.
                        Maybe they're all still in the build process.
                        The cabinets you saw in Iowa were just MDF with sanding sealer.
                        No veneer or paint.
                        I painted them after they came back home.

Comment

Thanks for the response.

How would the Apollo compare against the tempest ?

I would think that the dual 7" shorting ringed drivers would be cleaner at low and mid volume levels than delta pro 12a but less cone area.
                          And the minimal reflection short horn loaded dome would be more detail retrieving than the compression driver seos.

But the compression driver, seos, 12" would be more dynamic at all listening levels ?

So for movies, I'd think the Tempest would be more fun, but intense focus listening to music, the Apollo would have the edge.

Norman

Comment

Yeah I've been disappointed at the lack of reviews on the Apollo MTMs! I'm here salivating over them, but definitely won't be able to build them until later in the year at the earliest.

I always make it a point to put up detailed reviews of those speaker kits because I know Erich has said it really helps.

Comment

I have the morel cat 378 tweet and am impressed with it.

But the morel can be tricky to use.
                              I use the 5.6uf (on the manufacturer's page).
                              Electronically has a pole around 4,700hz (and should be 6db down there).
                              But the horn loads the lower end of the dome tweet, so its F6 (with cap) is around 2,000hz.
                              That rolls in nicely with my eminence b102 (same sensitivity and around 6db down @ 2khz, ignoring the spike near 3khz that doesn't measure as high 10' away).
                              You crossover experts probably could make a steeper but flat response.

I've played with horns and smooth waveguides, no parallel walls, no corners, no breaks in the path.
                              Ideally, it would be a continuous curve similar to round tractrix or le cleach.

Anyway., some monitors have been using domes loaded in smooth waveguides.

My only improvement tweak would be foam around the horn to catch reflections before they re-radiate hitting baffle edges.
                              It may not measure much different, but i bet you can hear a difference.

The wavecor looks extremely similar to the morel, especially with the low Fs.

SO, I would imagine the waveguide tweet would have less reflections than the seos horn.

norman

Comment

I'm listening to the Wavcor and Satori 9.5" now and they sound pretty darn good.*
                                Guess xmax's age.

My guess: 15. His grammar is passable. His trolling is good.

Comment

Working...
                                X