Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone Built Pete's New Designs: Apollo / Ares ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I built three Apollo's for LCR and was worried about the jump from a waveguide (Tempest) and how these would sound in my open and reflective family room. They excel and are on another level of refinement compared to the Tempests (which I love, btw). The bass, tweeter clarity, and imaging are incredible. Audyssey set the crossover at 40hz and that's great, as I can keep my subs off for all tv viewing. Pete nailed it. Highly recommended.*

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Schumacher View Post

.25 cubic feet sealed will put F3 at 75 and 83 for the 7 and 5.5 respectively.

The 5.5" in .35 cubic feet tuned to 45Hz will put F3 at around 44Hz

Hey Pete, thanks again for the awesome work on these kits. I'm planning to build the Apollo MT's into angled surrounds and am limited to 12" high. Utilizing the standard baffle and the attached design, I calculate 0.41'^3 volume. Can you verify my math? Are you able to estimate what the sealed F3 would be? Could I port in some manner? It'd be great to cross these at 60hz but will live with 80hz if need be. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by a|F View Post

Hey Pete, thanks again for the awesome work on these kits. I'm planning to build the Apollo MT's into angled surrounds and am limited to 12" high. Utilizing the standard baffle and the attached design, I calculate 0.41'^3 volume. Can you verify my math? Are you able to estimate what the sealed F3 would be? Could I port in some manner? It'd be great to cross these at 60hz but will live with 80hz if need be. Thanks for the help.
        Glad you're enjoying them!

Based on the parameters of the 4 Ohm Anarchy, your .41cf will be a little larger than required, but certainly usable.* In that setup the TM will be down 6dB at 56Hz, so you should be able to cross around that point with the proper HP transfer function.* If you want to port them you could use an 8" long, 2" diameter port to reach 40Hz F3.
        R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
        "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Would my TSR 7810 (Yamaha RZ-V781) drive a LCR of Apollos cleanly, or would I want to add something like an Outlaw 5000 power amp for a large, reflective room?

Comment

Originally posted by scary View Post
            Would my TSR 7810 (Yamaha RZ-V781) drive a LCR of Apollos cleanly, or would I want to add something like an Outlaw 5000 power amp for a large, reflective room?
            I've got my pair of Apollo powered with my Yamaha RX-V383 and I've yet to feel the need to turn it all the way up.
            R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

"Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

I built three Apollo's for LCR and was worried about the jump from a waveguide (Tempest) and how these would sound in my open and reflective family room. They excel and are on another level of refinement compared to the Tempests (which I love, btw). The bass, tweeter clarity, and imaging are incredible. Audyssey set the crossover at 40hz and that's great, as I can keep my subs off for all tv viewing. Pete nailed it. Highly recommended.*
              Hmm, like the floor stander.

Comment

Originally posted by stephenmarklay View Post

Hmm, like the floor stander.
                I'm guessing here, but I think the bottom is just a stand, but it does look good.
                Put two more woofers in the "stand" and you'd have a true monster 2.5-way WTWWW.
                But on close inspection of the pic, maybe the tower isn't as deep as the other two to keep the 1cf volume.

Comment

I'm really tempted to try the Apollos or Ares. For years I've owned horn/compression driver based system, and while I thoroughly enjoyed them over that period, (for whatever reason) I just no longer enjoy a compression driver based system. I really have no idea what has turned me off from compression drivers.* * * *I just sold my Andrew Jones designed Pioneer HT system and have been thinking hard about recycling the proceeds into trying on of Pete's designs.* *

Comment

That is a tower built by Matt Grant, who is an asset to the industry and will make a name for himself. He chose to incorporate the supplied baffle and I requested 48" tall and 8" deep. The internal volume is slightly larger than the bookshelf but I didn't want it lacking much depth relative to the width of 9.5". I will be making a double thick base of mdf for it and priming them white to see how we like the color. The two MT's are inbound. Cannot wait to have this 5.0 system rocking.*

Comment

Originally posted by dkalsi View Post

I'm really tempted to try the Apollos or Ares. For years I've owned horn/compression driver based system, and while I thoroughly enjoyed them over that period, (for whatever reason) I just no longer enjoy a compression driver based system. I really have no idea what has turned me off from compression drivers.* * * *I just sold my Andrew Jones designed Pioneer HT system and have been thinking hard about recycling the proceeds into trying on of Pete's designs.* *
                      From what I understand, Erich's almost out of the Anarchy 8 Ohm woofers, so if you don't want to wait for the next shipment of woofers you may want to order now.* He still has plenty of 4 Ohm units though.

Comment

From what I understand, Erich's almost out of the Anarchy 8 Ohm woofers, so if you don't want to wait for the next shipment of woofers you may want to order now.* He still has plenty of 4 Ohm units though.
                        Im guessing the Ares use the 4ohm and then Apollos use the 8ohm in parallel? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by dkalsi View Post
                          Im guessing the Ares use the 4ohm and then Apollos use the 8ohm in parallel? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Ares uses the 8 Ohm 5.5" Anarchy.
                          The Apollo MTM uses the 8 Ohm 7" Anarchy.
                          The Apollo TM uses the 4 Ohm 7" Anarchy.

Comment

You successfully scared me into ordering a pair of 708's today. They'll be used in a bookshelf 3 way I've been cooking up for a long time, TBD in a future thread.

Erich should thank you for the sale
                            Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
                            Wogg Music

Comment

Sorry guys, i bought the solstice kit.

Comment

Originally posted by norman bates View Post
                                Sorry guys, i bought the solstice kit.
                                No need to apologize.* Enjoy the build!

Comment

Working...
                                X