Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone Built Pete's New Designs: Apollo / Ares ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pete, I love the look and design of your Apollo MTM speakers. Thank you for all you do in the industry. I want to build 3 Apollo MTM with 2 PR in each speaker box(WTWPP), size 50" L x 10" W x 6 " D which will go on the wall as an LCR. Can you recommend a PR 8" or other that can be properly tuned and weighted? I don't mind buying extra Anarchy 7' speakers and converting them to PR if that is possible in order to have an upmarket look for the speaker boxes. The speakers are for a large living/kitchen room with 24F ceilings. I am open to changing box size for LCR on the wall if that helps. The center channel I can put the tweeter at the apex of a triangle above and between the woofers (PWTWP) as it will be placed horizontally. Any recommendations would help Thank you!

Comment

Just bought a pair of Apollo MTs to build with my 8 year old son. He wanted me to build him some speakers because I am always building something audio. I thought it would be a better idea to show him how to build his own. The Apollo MT seams like a great choice. I have utilized the 7" Anarchy for a few builds over the years. Great little driver. I will document his progress and post some pics in a few weeks.

Matthew
      BSME
      Kannapolis NC

Comment

Originally posted by HappyChappy View Post
        Pete, I love the look and design of your Apollo MTM speakers. Thank you for all you do in the industry. I want to build 3 Apollo MTM with 2 PR in each speaker box(WTWPP), size 50" L x 10" W x 6 " D which will go on the wall as an LCR. Can you recommend a PR 8" or other that can be properly tuned and weighted? I don't mind buying extra Anarchy 7' speakers and converting them to PR if that is possible in order to have an upmarket look for the speaker boxes. The speakers are for a large living/kitchen room with 24F ceilings. I am open to changing box size for LCR on the wall if that helps. The center channel I can put the tweeter at the apex of a triangle above and between the woofers (PWTWP) as it will be placed horizontally. Any recommendations would help Thank you!
        With a 10” width you’re pretty much limited to 8” PRs. The SD215 just doesn’t have enough displacement to keep up with the Anarchy. If you can go with a wider baffle to allow the SD270 to fit then you have a chance. I can run the numbers to see if a single RSS265-PR could work.

The other problem with the shallow cabinet on the wall is that the crossover was designed for a speaker out in the room. Without modifying the crossover you may find that bass levels below 500Hz will become more emphasized. Certainly do-able and I could come up with a suggestion for a crossover mod.
        R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
        Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
        "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Originally posted by Harvylogan View Post
          Just bought a pair of Apollo MTs to build with my 8 year old son. He wanted me to build him some speakers because I am always building something audio. I thought it would be a better idea to show him how to build his own. The Apollo MT seams like a great choice. I have utilized the 7" Anarchy for a few builds over the years. Great little driver. I will document his progress and post some pics in a few weeks.

Matthew
          Awesome. Start a build thread.
          R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
          Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

"Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Thank you so much for your help Pete, if I do a size of 43" L x 12" W x 6" D will that work? I prefer the RSS265-PR Please, can you run some numbers for the PRs and help me with the crossover mod. I don't mind if we use 1 or 2 of the RSS265-PR. I am assuming 2 PRs would look aesthetically more pleasing in a box that size.

Comment

How is everyone powering or planning on powering the Apollo MTM's? I'm debating building a pair for a stereo setup. The hold up is what am I going to use to power them. I'm currently using all my external amps and would potentially need to buy another amp to power these depending on how hungry they are.

I have an Onkyo NR1007 receiver laying around that has a really solid built in amp. Onkyo claims 135 x 9 or 180 x 1. I've also seen 160w x2 @ 6ohm. There's no real way to know what its throwing out without measuring, but it is a pretty hefty receiver.

I guess what I'm really asking is, do you guys think the Onkyo will adequately power them?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by fazz View Post
                How is everyone powering or planning on powering the Apollo MTM's? I'm debating building a pair for a stereo setup. The hold up is what am I going to use to power them. I'm currently using all my external amps and would potentially need to buy another amp to power these depending on how hungry they are.

I have an Onkyo NR1007 receiver laying around that has a really solid built in amp. Onkyo claims 135 x 9 or 180 x 1. I've also seen 160w x2 @ 6ohm. There's no real way to know what its throwing out without measuring, but it is a pretty hefty receiver.

I guess what I'm really asking is, do you guys think the Onkyo will adequately power them?

Thanks
                While Apollo can handle 250W I’ve got my pair being driven by a modest 85W (8 Ohm rated) Yamaha receiver and they play loud and clear.

The Onkyo should be ideal.

Comment

Originally posted by HappyChappy View Post
                  Thank you so much for your help Pete, if I do a size of 43" L x 12" W x 6" D will that work? I prefer the RSS265-PR Please, can you run some numbers for the PRs and help me with the crossover mod. I don't mind if we use 1 or 2 of the RSS265-PR. I am assuming 2 PRs would look aesthetically more pleasing in a box that size.
                  A pair of the RSS265-PR will work in an enclosure as small as 1 cubic foot (F3=42) up to 1.75 cubic foot (EBS alignment F3=35).

Likewise, a pair of the SD270 with some added mass will also work equally well if you want to save some $$$.

I'll play around with the simulation to remove most of the baffle step compensation for your on-wall application. Just let me know when you're ready.

Comment

I appreciate the responses . I've done quite a lot of research regarding mtm vs tm configuration and was curious your comparison of the Apollo tm vs mtm. What would I be giving up by going the tm route vs the mtm?

The mtm size is cutting it close in terms of desk space but I'm a go big or go go home kind of guy. I don't want to build the tm's only to wish I had gone big.

The use case for me is a 2.0 or possibly 2.2 configuration for my PC setup. Gaming and music. I have a couple of lilmikes anarchy tapped horns in this configuration but am willing to get rid of the subs if the Apollo delivers what I think it will.

​​​Currently running a couple tm S2000's and am enjoying them but want more volume and range.

Thanks
                    Last edited by fazz; 06-27-2018, 09:33 PM. Reason: grammar and stuff

Comment

• Apollo MTMs desktop? Wow, must be a big desk.

Comment

• Originally posted by djg View Post
                        Apollo MTMs desktop? Wow, must be a big desk.
                        It's a decent size. Still have some real estate left.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Yours is bigger than mine.

In the meantime, those S2000s might benefit from being up a little higher.

Comment

• Originally posted by fazz View Post
                            The use case for me is a 2.0 or possibly 2.2 configuration for my PC setup. Gaming and music. I have a couple of lilmikes anarchy tapped horns in this configuration but am willing to get rid of the subs if the Apollo delivers what I think it will.

​​​Currently running a couple tm S2000's and am enjoying them but want more volume and range.

Originally posted by djg View Post
                            In the meantime, those S2000s might benefit from being up a little higher.
                            +1 to trying the S2000s up higher. A quick and cheap way to do this is with yoga blocks. If it makes a big difference, you can always upgrade the stands.

Is there any way you can get your speakers off the desk? I lived for years with a nearfield/on-desk setup, like yours. I started with Overnight Sensations, then Mark Audio Alpair 7.3-based full-range speakers, and lastly Paul Carmody's Speedsters. Actually, the very first speakers I had on a desk were Paradigm Monitor 3 speakers - these were silly big on a desk, even a large 30x60 desk.

I have since been able to get away from nearfield, and I have to say, the difference (at least for me) is night and day. I hate to say this, but when I first built the Speedsters, I wasn't terribly impressed. Not that they did anything wrong, they just didn't provide the "wow" factor I was hoping for. But as soon as I got them off the desk, up on stands, away from walls, then I got the wow factor. I've since put in a pair of Jeff Bagby's Solstice speakers and I can confidently say it will be a long time before I need to upgrade, and I'm thankful I'm no longer confined to the desktop.

The Alpair 7.3 speakers I had on my desk were 7" wide by 14.5" tall by 10.5" deep, and I felt this was about the limit I could comfortably go on a desk. Whereas the Apollo MTM is 9.5" wide by 23.5" tall by 13" deep. Too big for me on a desk! If nothing else, I would recommend you make a mockup out of cardboard to see if they'll really work for you on the desk or not.

I have a hunch that nearfield may not be the best application of most multi-way speakers, and I think this is where full-range (or possibly coaxial) may have a distinct edge. And if you high-pass the full-rangers and use a sub for bass duty, you ought to be able to get some significant volume. At the time I was reluctant to go with subs, and the Alpair speakers had decent bass. But if I had to do it all over again, I'd probably high pass wideband drivers on the desktop, and get a sub or two for bass duty.

Not trying to steer you away from the Apollos by any means! Just sharing my experience with looking for great sound within the limitations of a desktop/nearfield setup.

Comment

• Originally posted by DIYNewbie View Post

+1 to trying the S2000s up higher. A quick and cheap way to do this is with yoga blocks. If it makes a big difference, you can always upgrade the stands.

Is there any way you can get your speakers off the desk? I lived for years with a nearfield/on-desk setup, like yours. I started with Overnight Sensations, then Mark Audio Alpair 7.3-based full-range speakers, and lastly Paul Carmody's Speedsters. Actually, the very first speakers I had on a desk were Paradigm Monitor 3 speakers - these were silly big on a desk, even a large 30x60 desk.

I have since been able to get away from nearfield, and I have to say, the difference (at least for me) is night and day. I hate to say this, but when I first built the Speedsters, I wasn't terribly impressed. Not that they did anything wrong, they just didn't provide the "wow" factor I was hoping for. But as soon as I got them off the desk, up on stands, away from walls, then I got the wow factor. I've since put in a pair of Jeff Bagby's Solstice speakers and I can confidently say it will be a long time before I need to upgrade, and I'm thankful I'm no longer confined to the desktop.

The Alpair 7.3 speakers I had on my desk were 7" wide by 14.5" tall by 10.5" deep, and I felt this was about the limit I could comfortably go on a desk. Whereas the Apollo MTM is 9.5" wide by 23.5" tall by 13" deep. Too big for me on a desk! If nothing else, I would recommend you make a mockup out of cardboard to see if they'll really work for you on the desk or not.

I have a hunch that nearfield may not be the best application of most multi-way speakers, and I think this is where full-range (or possibly coaxial) may have a distinct edge. And if you high-pass the full-rangers and use a sub for bass duty, you ought to be able to get some significant volume. At the time I was reluctant to go with subs, and the Alpair speakers had decent bass. But if I had to do it all over again, I'd probably high pass wideband drivers on the desktop, and get a sub or two for bass duty.

Not trying to steer you away from the Apollos by any means! Just sharing my experience with looking for great sound within the limitations of a desktop/nearfield setup.
                              I have a couple sets of full range floor standing speakers in a couple setups that deliver amazing full range performance. I have them the ideal distance off the walls and the produce an amazing experience. So I certainly can appreciate the benefits of ideal in room configuration. This particular room is my wife and I's office and I am limited to desktop in this situation. I had MTM Overnight Sensations on the desk prior to finishing the s2000's (I have 4 of them which are going to be used as rear and atmos duty in the bedroom). In demoing the s2000's, I found they are far superior to the OS's and have them angled upward on acoustic foam and am enjoying them until I finish the other 2 and get them mounted.

With that said, I'm looking to gain more range and more volume in a desktop form factor. The MTM Apollos will likely be pushing the limits of size and WAF.

I'm open to other builds but have a feeling the apollos will be hard to beat.

Comment

• Originally posted by fazz View Post
                                I appreciate the responses . I've done quite a lot of research regarding mtm vs tm configuration and was curious your comparison of the Apollo tm vs mtm. What would I be giving up by going the tm route vs the mtm?

The mtm size is cutting it close in terms of desk space but I'm a go big or go go home kind of guy. I don't want to build the tm's only to wish I had gone big.

Thanks
                                For near field listening, I can't imagine you feeling like you would need to go bigger than the Apollo TM. I'd be amazed if you felt the need to add subs.

Comment

Working...
                                X