Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone Built Pete's New Designs: Apollo / Ares ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DIYNewbie View Post
    I have a hunch that nearfield may not be the best application of most multi-way speakers, and I think this is where full-range (or possibly coaxial) may have a distinct edge. And if you high-pass the full-rangers and use a sub for bass duty, you ought to be able to get some significant volume. At the time I was reluctant to go with subs, and the Alpair speakers had decent bass. But if I had to do it all over again, I'd probably high pass wideband drivers on the desktop, and get a sub or two for bass duty.
    It really depends on the dispersion of the tweeters.

Coaxial speakers have their own drawbacks which is why we don't see them on studio monitors very often.

I found Paul Carmody's Speedsters, which I really love, to be poor for nearfield listening because the tweeters have such narrow dispersion... when you're sitting only a few feet away, there's no room for the tweeter to blend cleanly with the woofer.

On the other hand, the JBL LSR305's tweeters have absolutely godlike dispersion control. Those tweeters sound great from any angle and as a result they're great for nearfield listening.

Of course, like you say: coaxial drivers solve the issue very very well by sidestepping it entirely. I'm currently running the "Micca Voltron" 3-way coaxial setup on my desktop and it is quite good. Strong response down to ~40hz and pinpoint imaging thanks to the coax tweeter/mid. And drawbacks of coax designs are avoided by crossing it over to the "subwoofers." http://noaudiophile.com/Micca_COVO-S/ (scroll down)

Comment

• Just put up a build thread for my son's Apollo MT here although the title is misspelled and I cant seem to edit the title of the thread.

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/forum/speaker-project-gallery/1382111-aollo-mt-project-8-year-old

BSME
      Kannapolis NC

Comment

• Pete,

A question about the Apollo MTM, if you have a sec- I'm nearing the final decision for my front L+R, and it's boiling down to a coin toss between two of Erich's offerings: your Apollo MTM and the 88-Special. Application is 90%+ movies/TV/games, running with subs and plenty of amp muscle available.

The 88-Special is in the mix due primarily to the SEOS-15, although the enclosure form factor isn't ideal for the available space... in that regard the Apollo is a better fit, and I know that the Anarchys can move lots of air. MLP is about 12' back from the plane of the LCR- is that enough room for your MTM layout to work its' magic? The "C" is a Fusion4Quad4 center, I'm confident that it can keep up.

Thanks for any insight!

Ed
        Ed Henderson

Comment

• Not sure what you're describing for the setup. MLP?
          R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
          Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
          "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

• Main Listening Position.
            Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

• Geez, can't believe I couldn't pick that up. I tried, believe me.

12' is more than adequate to get all those components acting like a single entity. Hope you have plenty of power on hand.
              R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
              Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

"Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

• If not, I can drag the BX-3 out of mothballs ..thanks for the reply!

Ed Henderson

Comment

• Originally posted by Pete Schumacher View Post
                  As for the tower, I'm sure that would work just fine. I even have a 2.5-way crossover for the TMM arrangement if you'd rather go that route.
                  Pete,
                  I am interested in this. Couple of questions. One, is there any difference in efficiency for .the 2.5 vs the MTM? And two, do you think the woofers would need a divided cabinet to minimize interference between the two?

Thnks
                  Matthew
                  BSME
                  Kannapolis NC

Comment

• No difference in sensitivity, and no need for separate chambers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pete Schumacher View Post
                      No difference in sensitivity, and no need for separate chambers.
                      Tried to pm you on this but it wouldn't send. I would like to discuss this more.

Matthew
                      BSME
                      Kannapolis NC

Comment

• Originally posted by Harvylogan View Post

Tried to pm you on this but it wouldn't send. I would like to discuss this more.

Matthew
                        Not sure why a PM wouldn't go through.

What would you like to know? Need the XO for a 2.5-way version? Or just explanations for my answers?
                        Since the 2.5-way has both woofers doing bass duty, just like the 2-way, the woofers can share the same volume. They are effectively connected in parallel, with one of the woofers in series with an inductor that starts cutting off the response at the onset of baffle step. In the two-way, BSC is accomplished by rolling off both woofers instead of just one.

Comment

• Pete, I'd be interested in a 2.5 way XO - I'm interested in building two TMM towers to replace my current set of Dayton DIII's.

Comment

• pete underscore schumacher at yahoo dot com
                            send me an email

Comment

• I see the area at diy. Any eta on the mtm version getting there? The Apollo is too big (tall) for my center area so these may fit the bill perfectly!

Comment

• I see the ares at diy. Any eta on the mtm version getting there? The Apollo is too big (tall) for my center area so these may fit the bill perfectly!

Comment

Working...
                                X