Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone Built Pete's New Designs: Apollo / Ares ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rr14 View Post
    I see the ares at diy. Any eta on the mtm version getting there? The Apollo is too big (tall) for my center area so these may fit the bill perfectly!
    We've not gotten around to doing the MTM yet. Consider the Apollo TM if the MTM is too large and if you'd rather not wait.
    R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
    Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
    "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

• Thanks! It’s the woofer diameter that is the killer on the Apollo. I can wait a bit for the mtm ares. I can fit an ares sized woofer on a custom baffle in a small area I have under my tv for a center channel. The Apollo. Would be too tall.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rr14 View Post
        Thanks! It’s the woofer diameter that is the killer on the Apollo. I can wait a bit for the mtm ares. I can fit an ares sized woofer on a custom baffle in a small area I have under my tv for a center channel. The Apollo. Would be too tall.
        You need to make room for a taller center...……..

Comment

• Originally posted by scary View Post

You need to make room for a taller center...……..
          I know! That speaker sounds impressive. Unfortunately it’s tiled in...

Comment

• I’ll touch base with Erich to see if he’s up for a MTM Ares
            R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
            Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
            "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pete Schumacher View Post
              I’ll touch base with Erich to see if he’s up for a MTM Ares
              If he is, I’m in for 3

Comment

• Originally posted by Pete Schumacher View Post
                If he is, I’m in for 3

Comment

• Sorry to throw this in here. I tried to send you a private message, Pete, but the private messaging software wouldn't recognize you as a valid recipient.

Ironman129 has a thread about a speaker using the AST 2560 tweeter, saying you did some of the design work (or he mimicked a design of yours). He's using a small sealed chamber like you did for the tweeter because it's a mono-pole application. Did you leave on the back of the tweeter the membrane that comes attached to it, or did you remove it? I communicated with Aurum Cantus about this tweeter and they supplied me a drawing showing a recommended really small sealed box, plus said that membrane should be left on. If it's mounted in a sealed box that's appropriately stuffed with fiber, it doesn't seem to me that the membrane would be necessary, and perhaps not even a good idea to leave attached. If you did remove the membrane, did you perform any "before and after" measurements to determine which was better?
                  Thanks,
                  Paul

Originally posted by Pete Schumacher View Post

Comment

• So I think I'm going make the Ares to replace the elac ub5. I have access to a CNC so I'll make my own baffle. I'm planing on making the box before ordering the parts.

Could anyone help me with the dimensions of the baffle cutouts (diameter of the cutouts, cutout depth, distance between the centers of the cutouts and from the top or bottom of the box)
                    Also does anyone know the cutout size of the port tube and it's length?

Also from the diysoundgroup website, I wan't to confirm that the box should be made from 1/2" MDF with a horizontal brace ?

Comment

• Originally posted by mmu7 View Post
                      I'm planing on making the box before ordering the parts.

Bad idea. Also, the baffle is included, Erich H might work with you he's pretty flexible, but I can't speak for him.

The baffle is 3/4" the specified box is probably 3/4" material, you can make it however you want.

You should talk to Erich H. He's fast to respond via the website.

Comment

• Originally posted by djg View Post

Bad idea. Also, the baffle is included, Erich H might work with you he's pretty flexible, but I can't speak for him.

The baffle is 3/4" the specified box is probably 3/4" material, you can make it however you want.

You should talk to Erich H. He's fast to respond via the website.
                        I'm aware that the baffle is included, but I'm planning on tweaked box dimensions (~same volume). It's not a bad idea if everything is dimensioned correctly. I did this with my Helium's: I designed everything in CAD, then CNC milled the box and it worked out well.

I also prefer this approach since it prevents me from slacking around and having parts without a box.

From the website it says

```
                        Specific Ares MT Assembly Notes:

Your enclosure should be built with 1/2" thick material with one horizontal "window pane" style brace to the dimensions listed. It is recommended that you lightly stuff your enclosure with polyfill without blocking the ports.
                        ```

So it looks like the baffle is 3/4" and everything else is 1/2".

I'll email erich for to see if he knows the dimensions

Comment

• I stand corrected. Good luck.

Comment

• Pete,

A huge fan of the Anarchy here and have been anxious to hear the Apollo.
                            Just completed a pair of cabinets and have everything but the xo schematic, is this available?
                            Last edited by HIFY GUY; 01-15-2019, 12:10 PM.

Comment

• Some speaker designs are public and some are owned and sold by various DIY sources. DIYSG sells this design so I would contact Erich H at DIYSG.

Comment

• Good Deal, thank you.

Comment

Working...
                                X