Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sonos connect vs Chromecast audio vs ???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sonos connect vs Chromecast audio vs ???

Hey guys,

This morning I spent a few hours wrestling wires and troubleshooting with a poor Sonos tech support guy.
    He couldn't help me too much, and I was pretty annoyed at the bugs that came up in my "set and forget" Sonos system at my office.

Have you guys experienced Chromecast audio or other wifi audio sources?

I'm thinking of experimenting a bit.
    If things continue to be so annoying, I will heavily consider making my own system and selling my Sonos stuff on eBay.

Also, I don't know if there's other wifi audio sources.

-Matt

Ps. Waiting for my 50 foot cat cable to come from Amazon. I can't unbolt my play 3 from the wall.

Dayton has an option...look up their Hi-fly products.

I have a chomecast and a chromecast audio. Both are very simple devices, limited to anything that supports chromecast, so basically any mobile device with direct support in most apps. Amazon prime does not support chromecast, which is the worst. Boo Amazon!

The chromecast audio sounds reasonably well from the analog out, though don't expect the world for $35. It does however support spdif, as you can plug a mini-toslink into the jack as well, so you can plug it into a fancy DAC.
    "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
    exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

Comment

I highly recommend chromecast audio.
      I have 4 of them and am extremely happy. They mesh with each other easily for 'whole house audio'. With the right apps play FLAC off my server. Most streaming audio apps support it.

For audio quality they get a pass from me, aka some random guys opinion on the internet!
      Depending on the system I have them running with optical into a DAC or receiver, or using the analog out. I have done a direct A/B comparison between the Chromecast audio and a raspberry pi setup, with fast switching on reasonable to higher quality gear, I couldn't tell a difference between devices. On cheaper speakers I couldn't tell a difference comparing between the analog and optical out, never tried this on the nicer setup.
      I don't claim to have golden ears or particularly think that you get much from high end DAC's and amps (despite owning some ). With that said I have certainly heard differences with poor quality electronics so do believe in having well implemented devices. For $35 its easy to try one out.

Comment

You may want to look into getting a Raspberry Pi or Asus Tinker Board and running Volumio on it. Works damn well. I am biased and prefer Tinker Board as it is faster than the Pi and USB out is much better, though it has less support than the Pi. Do you have a DAC or do you need DA conversion to feed into your system?

Comment

[QUOTE=dcibel;n1365558]Dayton has an option...look up their Hi-fly products.

I have a chomecast and a chromecast audio. Both are very simple devices, limited to anything that supports chromecast, so basically any mobile device with direct support in most apps. Amazon prime does not support chromecast, which is the worst. Boo Amazon!

The chromecast audio sounds reasonably well from the analog out, though don't expect the world for $35. It does however support spdif, as you can plug a mini-toslink into the jack as well, so you can plug it into a fancy DAC.[/QUOQUOTE

Amazon music does work through Chromecast, within the past few months both my phone and my Nexus 2013 tablet have the cast icon in the app. I dumped Spotify premium as soon as they added support.

Comment

Working...
          X