Helix dome mtm

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helix dome mtm

Hello, everyone. Do any of you know much about the new Jeff Bagby design? Are the woofers similar to the Eton Hexacone, and if so, what type of sound might they have? I'm trying to decide between a few models that I have been reading about. Thank you in advance. Glenn.

Bump, so hopefully Jeff may see this and respond. I tried to send a message JB, but I was unable to get it to go through. I would like to know about potential strengths, and weakness, ie what this particular design really excels at. Thanks in advance for any information.

Comment

Can you tell us exactly which design you are referring to. Jeff has quite a few.
      https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

@isaeagle, diysoundgroup has two mtm kits, one featuring a Fountek ribbon, the other the SB29SDAC dome. Dual Denovo Audio 7" drivers with a honeycomb type 3 layer sandwich cone. Thank you.

Comment

Being so new on the market, few have heard them. Knowing Jeff and his voicing style, I am sure these will be very good. The crossover is e elegant in its simplicity being 2nd order on the woofers and 3rd order on the tweeter. Personally, I prefer the sb29 over the Fountek but thst is my personal choice.

Comment

The woofer reminds me visually of an uncoated Seas CA18, though it's obviously a DSG proprietary product.
            Later,
            Wolf
            "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
            "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
            "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
            "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
            http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Any Idea what Jeff might bring to InDIYana?
              John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

isaeagle, what's your take on the SB tweet? Does it tend to be a tweet that has a lot of detail and clarity? How about big, musical dynamics? I've never gotten to hear any SB drivers, but one of the rigs that I have heard, that I have had stuck in my memory bank, was a ProAc Response 4 that had Scan drivers with the ATC mid. I love serious detail, and dynamics, but I don't want clinical nor sterile. Glenn.

Comment

the way the woofer is described , high end /sandwich cone , it sounds as though its being compared to the Scans !?
                  donc

Comment

Originally posted by Drummer View Post
                    isaeagle, what's your take on the SB tweet? Does it tend to be a tweet that has a lot of detail and clarity? How about big, musical dynamics? I've never gotten to hear any SB drivers, but one of the rigs that I have heard, that I have had stuck in my memory bank, was a ProAc Response 4 that had Scan drivers with the ATC mid. I love serious detail, and dynamics, but I don't want clinical nor sterile. Glenn.
                    They are very detailed, well built drivers. They can be absolutely abused and come back for more. You REALLY cannot go wrong with them.

Comment

Thanks for the replys, fellas. I've been reading and trying to pick up as much information as I can as a long time lurker here. I have never built a kit speaker, and with all the choices, it can make my head spin.
                      I rebuilt a pair of Genesis 210 speakers with all of the drivers and crossover that Huw has, and they've been my bedroom speakers for a while. The sound of them really opened my eyes to what I had been missing, and at a reasonable cost. I think that I will build a pair of Petes Apollo mtm Anarchys as my first, to take over for the bedroom setup, and then I want to decide on another pair for my big room. I've also been considering a cd/waveguide for the living room. The dynamics, and especially drums and cymbals, are like nothing I've heard on horns, but I decided that would be too much for my bedroom setup. Thanks again Glenn.

Comment

Originally posted by Drummer View Post
                        Hello, everyone. Do any of you know much about the new Jeff Bagby design? Are the woofers similar to the Eton Hexacone, and if so, what type of sound might they have? I'm trying to decide between a few models that I have been reading about. Thank you in advance. Glenn.
                        Yes, the cones are very similar to the Eton cones. These are beautiful drivers with some of the most rigid cones I have ever worked with. The cone is comprised of two very thin layers of coated fiberglass with the honeycomb grid between them. They had very smooth response in their operating range and were quite nice to work with. I told Erich that this was probably the best speaker I have yet done for him.
                        Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

hello Jeff , ive heard you mention some of your favorite tweeters , i dont remember ever hearing you say anything about this SB !?
                          donc

Comment

Jeff, can you give any comments regarding the different versions (1 vs 2 woofers) / NeoCD3.5H vs SB29. I haven't read much feedback on the NeoCD3.5H. As always, any comparison you can make with some of your other existing designs is appreciated (Tributes or Continuum II/Viva Voce).

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post

Yes, the cones are very similar to the Eton cones. These are beautiful drivers with some of the most rigid cones I have ever worked with. The cone is comprised of two very thin layers of coated fiberglass with the honeycomb grid between them. They had very smooth response in their operating range and were quite nice to work with. I told Erich that this was probably the best speaker I have yet done for him.
                              How is the bottom end ? I am wanting to stay 2 channel. I listen to a good amount of progressive, electric jazz fusion, and a lot of electric guitar based music, with some mellower female vocals thrown in a bit. Do they have a tight and punchy type of bottom end that gives realism to the bass and kick? I'm not a bass head, but I am a bit of a higher volume listener, and the 210s that I'm used to are nice and smooth at medium volume, but the bass does tend to be a bit wooly like I've heard from other Genesis Physics owners. I've read some great things about the Etons from guys that have them. Thanks. Glenn.

Comment

Working...
                              X