Tweeter choice Dynavox or Morel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tweeter choice Dynavox or Morel

Working on a 2 way tower. I want to use the Dayton RS225p 8" woofer but dont know what tweeter to use with it. I was thinking of using the Dynavox TD2801XL 1-1/8" silk dome. I was also considering the Morel CAT 308 1-1/8" soft dome tweeter. I'd like to use the Dynavox. I know the Morel CAT 308 can be crossed over as low as 1.7k but I worry my amp won't be strong enough to power it properly. (My amp is 80w rms x 2) Also, any crossover suggestions for either of these two tweeters? Thanks

It's not the tweeter you have to worry about powering properly. The RS225 is the determining factor on system sensitivity.

That Dynavox response looks plain awful.

Consider this Peerless
    https://www.parts-express.com/peerle...-ohm--264-1460
    I know for a fact that it can cross low enough having used them myself.
    R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
    "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

For an 8" 2-way, your prime consideration is how low it can cross.

Comment

If neither of the 2 tweeters I mentioned are not a good choice for the 8in woofer I mentioned, could someone offer up some other suggestions? I prefer soft Dome / silk Dome tweeters. I am not a fan of aluminum dome tweeters. Also, whichever tweeters are suggested a crossover point or even a crossover suggestion would be very appreciated. Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by NickA1976 View Post
          If neither of the 2 tweeters I mentioned are not a good choice for the 8in woofer I mentioned, could someone offer up some other suggestions? I prefer soft Dome / silk Dome tweeters. I am not a fan of aluminum dome tweeters. Also, whichever tweeters are suggested a crossover point or even a crossover suggestion would be very appreciated. Thanks again
          Not sure why you wouldn't like the da25 that Pete linked. It's a stellar tweet and sounds absolutely awesome. Another to consider though is the dx25bg60. It is capable of crossing to the rs225 easily.
          https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

If I went with the Peerless dx25bg60 tweeter, any recommendations on a crossover point? My knowledge of crossover design is something I simply cannot seem to grasp.

Comment

Originally posted by NickA1976 View Post
              If I went with the Peerless dx25bg60 tweeter, any recommendations on a crossover point? My knowledge of crossover design is something I simply cannot seem to grasp.
              If you're building a speaker from scratch, you'll need to be ready to do some experimenting, either that or do some simulations or have someone do them for you.

That tweeter will cross at 1500Hz.
              R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

"Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Nice to hear the Peerless metal dome mentioned is that good, especially at the price. I've never used it or heard one, but I remember my only use of a metal dome - SEAS H883 in a 2-way with a Dynaudio 17W75. It always sounds a bit harsh when I try over and over to warm up to them - just kind of bright and edgy. That speaker is still up in a closet, packed away. Always wanted to find a SEAS soft dome and swap them out to see if that makes things better. I probably never should have paired the 2, but I was curious about metal domes and was motivated after seeing a Totem Acoustics design many years back.

Comment

Originally posted by Waboo View Post
                  Nice to hear the Peerless metal dome mentioned is that good, especially at the price. I've never used it or heard one, but I remember my only use of a metal dome - SEAS H883 in a 2-way with a Dynaudio 17W75. It always sounds a bit harsh when I try over and over to warm up to them - just kind of bright and edgy. That speaker is still up in a closet, packed away. Always wanted to find a SEAS soft dome and swap them out to see if that makes things better. I probably never should have paired the 2, but I was curious about metal domes and was motivated after seeing a Totem Acoustics design many years back.
                  Don't know about the H883, but the H1212 is a very nice metal dome from SEAS. It too can cross at 1500Hz easily.

The Peerless needs to be treated carefully as it's response is not "flat." It is smooth however, which makes EQ-ing the pass band easy enough with a simple parallel RLC circuit.

Here's a shot of the response of a speaker I recently finished up that uses the Peerless Aluminum dome crossed at 2200 to a 5.5" woofer. From 300 to 20000, response is +- 1.5dB except for a diffraction dip at 3200. Not too shabby. And nice, low distortion.

Comment

No matter where you go, there you are.
                    Website

Comment

I'm not the only one who's used it. I believe Johnny has too.
                      It's a nice sounding dome tweeter. Not the caliber of a good AMT or ribbon, but robust enough to cross lower than either of those to an 8" woofer.
                      It's got a plastic faceplate too.

Oops. I was referring to the DA, not the DX. I've not used the DX.
                      Last edited by Pete Schumacher ; 02-19-2018, 12:47 AM.

Comment

This is from PE site.
                        Highlights

• Smooth on and off axis response with low Fs simplifies crossover design
                        • Ferro fluid and a large ferrite magnet improves heat dissipation for high power handling
                        • Thick aluminum faceplate provides a solid, non-resonant mounting structure
                        • Bucking magnet concentrates magnetic field on the vice coil for more control

Website

Comment

Originally posted by gowa View Post
                          This is from PE site.
                          Highlights
                          • Smooth on and off axis response with low Fs simplifies crossover design
                          • Ferro fluid and a large ferrite magnet improves heat dissipation for high power handling
                          • Thick aluminum faceplate provides a solid, non-resonant mounting structure
                          • Bucking magnet concentrates magnetic field on the vice coil for more control

I'm talking about the aluminum dome.

Comment

My bad.
                            Website

Comment

Working...
                            X