No announcement yet.

Looking to replace my stock Harley Davidson Street Glide speakers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I started with a pair of Hawg Wired 5.25" in my 99 Roadglide along with their amp. Much better than stock or any upgraded Harley speakers. Than went to 6.5" Rockford Fosgate's thinking bigger would be better.

​They were not worth the effort. It's very difficult to make bass on a moving bike! Getting the volume up over the noise will take a lot of power! If you don't have an upgraded amp I'd suggest you start there.

​Unfortunately, size constraints really limit what will work. The Hawg Wired amp fit's fine but is still not enough power IMO. Along with being pricy.

​Good Luck and if those work let us know! Mark

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Harley Sound.png
Views:	1
Size:	887.4 KB
ID:	1365964!

Comment

Mine's not quite that involved. As I said though,,,,, much better than stock!

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0171.JPG
Size:	926.0 KB
ID:	1365972 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0166.JPG
Size:	974.5 KB
ID:	1365973

Comment

I am truly curious, how music can be listened to competing with wind noise, wearing a helmet and the noise of a motorcycle, without having to have it playing at extra ordinary levels that would be completely annoying to everyone that hears it?

Comment

Originally posted by kevintomb View Post
            I am truly curious, how music can be listened to competing with wind noise, wearing a helmet and the noise of a motorcycle, without having to have it playing at extra ordinary levels that would be completely annoying to everyone that hears it?
            ​First off,,,, I don't wear a helmet. I'm an adult, and live in a state that allows ME to CHOOSE. As all states should. Last I checked I live in AMERICA the land of the FREE! Not some "Nanny State". But that's a different discussion.

​Believe it or not the envelope that is created by the fairing and windshield keeps the wind noise at bay. The exhaust noise, when in motion, and with a light touch on the throttle, stays behind me. I don't have a stock exhaust, but I don't run "Straight Pipes" either. Most of the exhaust noise really does stay behind me.

​It can get loud. Actually, it HAS to. However, remember I'm listening to a pair of 6.5 inch speakers that aren't in a proper enclosure. In other words I ain't making bass like some of those cars you hear that are rattling every panel, and you can hear a block away! The stock Harley radio has a circuit that increases the volume as your speed increases. Much like most GM cars do. When I stop at a light,,,,, it's not as loud as when I'm moving down the road. No one has ever complained that my stereo was too loud while I'm stopped at a light.

​With that said, is it the perfect place to be listening to music? NO! On the right roads, at the right speeds, can crankin' some jams make the ride more enjoyable? YES! @ 70 to 80 mph on the highway,,,,, I usually turn it off. It can get annoying and tiring. That's when I sing in my head to pass the time.

​@ 40 to 50 mph on a nice country road with the sun shining, running WITH the wind, it can be very enjoyable! Actually, I got a buddy I ride with that tries to stay close so he can hear it too! LOL!

​Is it Hi-Fi? Not a snowballs chance in He$$! When the system was stock, it stayed OFF! Completely unlistenable! With the upgraded system, as I said, it allows me to crank some jams when I choose to.

​YMMV. Mark

Comment

200% in Agreement with Mark, same point of views in every statement, as we use to say "If I have to explain you wouldn't understand"

Thanks Mark, I'll take a closer look at those Kits they sell.

Comment

I can't say the Hawg Wired kits are the best, but they work, and more importantly, are engineered to FIT! My recommendation would be to buy the most power you can find that will fit. I clip mine all the time. So much so that I may have toasted the right speaker. It did a little protesting on my last ride.

Good luck and let me know what you end up doing.

Mark

​Oh yea, if you go to Hawg Wired's site check out the Gallery. Look for "Mark's 2 Channel" for a few more install pics.

Comment

Originally posted by Psycoacoustics View Post

​First off,,,, I don't wear a helmet. I'm an adult, and live in a state that allows ME to CHOOSE. As all states should. Last I checked I live in AMERICA the land of the FREE! Not some "Nanny State". But that's a different discussion.

​Believe it or not the envelope that is created by the fairing and windshield keeps the wind noise at bay. The exhaust noise, when in motion, and with a light touch on the throttle, stays behind me. I don't have a stock exhaust, but I don't run "Straight Pipes" either. Most of the exhaust noise really does stay behind me.

​It can get loud. Actually, it HAS to. However, remember I'm listening to a pair of 6.5 inch speakers that aren't in a proper enclosure. In other words I ain't making bass like some of those cars you hear that are rattling every panel, and you can hear a block away! The stock Harley radio has a circuit that increases the volume as your speed increases. Much like most GM cars do. When I stop at a light,,,,, it's not as loud as when I'm moving down the road. No one has ever complained that my stereo was too loud while I'm stopped at a light.

​With that said, is it the perfect place to be listening to music? NO! On the right roads, at the right speeds, can crankin' some jams make the ride more enjoyable? YES! @ 70 to 80 mph on the highway,,,,, I usually turn it off. It can get annoying and tiring. That's when I sing in my head to pass the time.

​@ 40 to 50 mph on a nice country road with the sun shining, running WITH the wind, it can be very enjoyable! Actually, I got a buddy I ride with that tries to stay close so he can hear it too! LOL!

​Is it Hi-Fi? Not a snowballs chance in He$$! When the system was stock, it stayed OFF! Completely unlistenable! With the upgraded system, as I said, it allows me to crank some jams when I choose to.

​YMMV. Mark

Ya, I guess having always worn a helmet I would not understand at all, but having seen 2 friends die in very minor accidents, that a helmet would have easily saved them, I guess I can partially understand the "choice", but at the same time, feel that some choices you can not go back on, once it is too late.

Comment

Originally posted by kevintomb View Post

Ya, I guess having always worn a helmet I would not understand at all, but having seen 2 friends die in very minor accidents, that a helmet would have easily saved them, I guess I can partially understand the "choice", but at the same time, feel that some choices you can not go back on, once it is too late.
                    ​You CHOOSE to wear one. I CHOOSE not to. What really matters here is the fact that WE HAVE A CHOICE! We all need to be comfortable when we ride. You found your comfort zone and I've found mine. I'd ride with you any day!

Remember,,,,,, keep the shiny side up! Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Psycoacoustics View Post

​You CHOOSE to wear one. I CHOOSE not to. What really matters here is the fact that WE HAVE A CHOICE! We all need to be comfortable when we ride. You found your comfort zone and I've found mine. I'd ride with you any day!

Remember,,,,,, keep the shiny side up! Mark

Mark as funny as this sounds, I do not like wearing one....at all!
                      But I am scared into wearing it.

Comment

Wearing a helmet isn't to prevent death, it's to prevent becoming a vegetable. Getting rear-ended at a stop is enough to slam your head to the pavement potentially causing traumatic brain injury. Even a half helmet would protect you in that situation. I ride a Road King and thoroughly enjoy it. I choose to wear either a half, three quarter of full-face depending on the situation. You can choose to wear a helmet or not, but don't think the consequences of your choice is somehow isolated to only yourself. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Wearing a helmet isn't to prevent death, it's to prevent becoming a vegetable. Getting rear-ended at a stop is enough to slam your head to the pavement potentially causing traumatic brain injury. Even a half helmet would protect you in that situation. I ride a Road King and thoroughly enjoy it. I choose to wear either a half, three quarter of full-face depending on the situation. You can choose to wear a helmet or not, but don't think the consequences of your choice is somehow isolated to only yourself. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

There are better places than here for a helmet debate.

Comment

Some 25? years ago, California instituted a mandatory helmet law. But the law failed to specify that a helmet had to be worn on a riders head. One rider rode with a helmet strapped to his knee; in compliance and in protest.

Comment

I used the Faital Pro full range speakers to replace the stock Harley speakers on my friend's bike. The results were excellent. More than adequate high and mid range response, and they are very efficient and rugged. Bass response is quite good for such a small speaker, but doesn't extend (or try to extend) low enough to waste amplifier power on frequencies that are really irrelevant on a bike, as they will be drowned out by wind and exhaust noise, anyway.
                                FaitalPRO 4FE35 4" Professional Full-Range Woofer 8 Ohm

Brand: FaitalPRO
                                |Model: 4FE35|Part # 294-1124

Comment

Working...
                                X