No announcement yet.

Solstice (power and ohms)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solstice (power and ohms)

I decided to not build a pair of speakers from scratch but rather build a proven design. I really like the Solstice kit from PE. My only concerns are: They have a very high rms power rating. I'm not sure my receiver is powerful enough to power these properly. I have a new Yanaha R-N602 receiver (80 rms x 2 at 8ohms). Also. the Solstice is 4 ohms. I am not sure if this will be hard on my Yamaha. Any thoughts

The difference between what the receive provides and the speaker rating is a little under 4db.
    In all likelihood the Yamaha will produce more power with a 4 ohm load.
    I wouldn't consider this a major issue, unless the Yamaha has warnings about low impedance loads.
    "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
    "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

The total SPL you need is highly room dependent as well. Meaning of you need to fill a very large room with high ceilings etc than yes you may need the extra oomph. However, if your room is more modest you can get a way with less total SPL but it is still plenty load before distortion becomes a problem, I use very low sensitivity speakers with a similar Yamaha receiver and the result is just fine. Sure a better more powerful amp would be better but what I have works.

By the way I think the Solstice is a great kit and I am likely going to do one as well. Another option would be Apollo that is about the same price but will require a stand.

My living room is 14' X 12' with an 8' ceiling. Only thing i could find on the yamaha is you can only run 2 pair of 8ohm speakers all at once. (Two 8ohm speakers on speaker A outputs plus two 8ohm speakers on speaker B outputs) So my guess is A and B outputs are basically in parallel inside the receiver.i couldnt find a wattage rating for the yamaha at 4ohms output.

If you look at the back of your receiver it shows a min impedance of 4ohms. It will be not blow up

If you like things really loud, a pair of 8 ohm high efficiency speakers plus a powered subwoofer should be considered