Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does this MTM crossover design look?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does this MTM crossover design look?

Here is a new design I came up with

This is still with the RS180-4's, but I swapped out the Dayton Tweet for an Usher 9950-20.

R4 can be easily changed to raise and lower the output above 1K hz for baffle step correction.

Input anyone?

Thank you,

David.

Something is off with the woofers spl. With them wired in series, there is no additional gain. Spl should remain the same.
    https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

I think Xsim has it right. The loss of sensitivity due to the series is already applied on the S3 graph (it's after the filter), then the 6dB coupling is added back to the system level graph.
      Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
      Wogg Music

Comment

Originally posted by wogg View Post
        I think Xsim has it right. The loss of sensitivity due to the series is already applied on the S3 graph (it's after the filter), then the 6dB coupling is added back to the system level graph.
        With the drivers wired in series, there is no spl or sensitivity gain.
        https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

Originally posted by isaeagle4031 View Post
          With the drivers wired in series, there is no spl or sensitivity gain.
          Agreed, for voltage sensitivity. You lose 6dB in electrical by cutting power to each driver to 1/4 power. Then you add 6dB back for the acoustic coupling for net 0. What I'm saying is that I belive the 6dB loss is already in that example graph, so the apparent 6dB gain is actually getting back to 0. Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
          Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
          Wogg Music

Comment

I redid the cross over today to raise the crossover point and include a specific baffle correct section, Does this look any better?

Comment

Your series'd woofers DO look like they've got the correct SPL.
              Your BSC circuit doesn't SEEM to do much. (I thought you said you wouldn't need any BSC?)

Your driver rolloffs look to be 2nd order (acoustic). You should not need to go 4th order electrical to get 2nd order acoustic slopes.
              Tweeters generally don't use Zobel circuits. MOST tweeters use an "L-pad" to attenuate the tweeter.
              Even if you really do NOT need any BSC, your tweeter is rising. I judge it to be at least +2dB louder on its top end.

MY sim (of course, I'm probably not using files exactly like yours - not sure what you've all done to them), shows your Fc (XO freq.) right at 2kHz.

Suggestions: drop the tweeter Zobel, and the separate BSC circuit.
              Decide how much BSC you really want (maybe +2dB?) and model it into your woofers' FRD file.
              Try leveling out the woofers' (BS comped) FR and rolling it off by -6dB at 2k (or whatever you think your Fc should be).
              You should not need to go 4th order elec. AND a Zobel. MAYBE 2nd w/a Zobel, or just 3rd, or 2nd w/a "tank" (notch)???

Put an L-pad on the tweeter to bring it down to your BSC'd woofers' level (-3dB possibly?).
              Then high-pass the tweeter so it's ALSO down -6dB at your chosen Fc - should be doable w/just a series cap and a shunt coil.

(If this is the 2nd post you started on this project, please don't start up a 3rd, as it leads to lots of rreedduunnddaannccyy.) (sc)

Comment

Here is another one...

Comment

Or a very simple one,

Comment

Working...
                  X