Sanding question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sanding question

Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

The paint is not hard enough to sand. Wrong paint or not enough time before sanding.
    John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

Wet or dry sanding? I am no expert but when I attempted to do a high gloss finish I wet sanded starting at 400 and went to 3k. I waited 48 hrs before sanding the primer and I week before sanding the color coat.

Comment

When wet sanding spray the paper, not the piece. Use water with a few drops of detergent in it, which lubricates the surface to prevent what you're getting. What residue does build up on the paper washes off when you re-spray it.
          www.billfitzmaurice.com
          www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Oh $h!t....a week? Then yes, definitely premature on sanding. I will give more time then before sanding. Thanks fellas! I'm incredibly impatient when it comes to finish work.

Comment

Yes, all of the above. Some of the spray cans have extenders so the paint flows out which slows the drying. I give it two weeks with a fan on it. I've waited a month on some

With rattle can I like to lay down the best finish I can and call it done. I've done clear spray Lacquer over the top but compatibility can be an issue.
              John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

I was also being very cautious and here in the bay area it's not usually too cold.

Comment

Comment

Are you wet sanding painted MDF?
                    Craig

Comment

I have in the past, but not this go around.

Comment

I agree with those who said your best bet is to spray the best, even coat you can and be done with it. I build a lot of furniture on the side for people using mdf for the tops. The tables pictured were painted with spray cans (satin paint). I get the best results using Kilz spray can primer, sanding then painting each panel separately, painting them laying flat (so they are face up so the paint wont run, sag or drip). Use a light coat for the 1st coat then 4 to 5 heavy aditional coats. Emanel takes a very long time to fully dry (my tables take almost 3weeks). Xour paint is simply not dry enough which is why it is giving you trouble when you sand.

Comment

Originally posted by joeybutts View Post
                          When you guys are smoothing out paint to get a gloss finish, how do you keep paint/sandpaper from pilling? I start sanding with 800 after 400 and I get those tiny rolls of sanded paint underneath, and I constantly need to wipe it out, clean the sandpaper to continue a smooth sand.

What am I doing wrong? I’ve adjust pressure, water, no water.... is it wrong sandpaper?

Thanks!
                          A finish should be hard enough to sand to a fine powder before being rubbed out. Solvent-based lacquer can usually be rubbed out a few hours after application. Oil-based polyurethanes, water-bourne lacquer and water-borne polyurethane usually can be rubbed out in a few days. Enamels and acrylic paints are much more variable. Some never harden sufficiently and others take days to weeks to fully cure.

One method that may be useful for most water-borne finishes is dry buffing. This entails using loosely wadded paper towels, newspaper or craft paper (brown paper bags) to lightly buff the finish once dry, but not cured. I have found that 1-2 hours of drying is usually ideal. The result often obviates the need to further rub out the finish after it cures.

Comment

Does heat help speed curing?

Comment

Originally posted by joeybutts View Post
                              Oh $h!t....a week? Then yes, definitely premature on sanding. I will give more time then before sanding. Thanks fellas! I'm incredibly impatient when it comes to finish work.

Try working with nitrocellulose lacquer. Fourteen days before you sand level and polish. It's pretty forgiving stuff, though.

Comment

Working...
                              X