Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turning an active speaker into a passive speaker ??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turning an active speaker into a passive speaker ??

I'm interested in turning a Dayton 4" DA115 speaker into a passive speaker. Is this possible? My main objective is have the speaker cone for cosmetic purposes, however, if it's actually a usable passive woofer then that would be a bonus. The woofer, frame, and surround all need to be intact, I just want the magnet gone. Make sense?

What you are describing is essentially a passive radiator system where a passive cone is driven in much the same way a bass port is. So unless I'm,not understanding you properly, yes it is possible, but not likely to sound very good unless you play around with the passive mass.

Comment

Comment

Just for clarity, If you remove the magnet from the driver you will have a totally non functioning speaker, yes it will be lighter but does that matter? if you just remove the amplifier from the cabinet you would potentially have a function passive speaker system... as long as the driver isn't blown of course.
        Paul O

Comment

Comment

You have not stated so, but I assume that you will have a second unit in your enclosure, this one actually electrically driven and functioning as a woofer. If not, your one unit will not be a passive radiator, but essentially a dead weight, not radiating anything! Are you trying to build a functioning speaker here?

If you are installing two units with the intention of having one function as a passive radiator, I suggest you keep the magnet. In doing so you are able to install a suitable rheostat across the terminals of the "dead" unit and adjust the tuning.
            Don't worry, if your parachute fails, you have the rest of your life to fix it.

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally ASTOUND ourselves - Thomas A. Edison

Some people collect stamps, Imelda Marcos collected shoes. I collect speakers.:D

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Grenadineflaps View Post
                Maybe I should have titled this thread differently. I feel like people are trying to answer a question that I’m not asking. *My main objective is to remove that magnet from the Dayton speaker because I’m trying to reduce the weight of a portable speaker system. The system already has active speakers. The Dayton was used for cosmetic reasons, however is now adding weight to the client project. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                See the Dayton in the middle? I want the magnet gone, is it possible to remove it without cosmetically damaging the speaker?
                Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Not to be contrary, but...that thing looks heavy. After all the effort to remove it, will you even notice the missing weight of the magnet? Maybe a pound or two?
                  Francis

Comment

Originally posted by fpitas View Post
                    Not to be contrary, but...that thing looks heavy. After all the effort to remove it, will you even notice the missing weight of the magnet? Maybe a pound or two?

Comment

Well..there's no good way to take the magnet off that driver. And it won't be a useful passive radiator, for various reasons. In fact, it probably shouldn't share the air space with those big woofers at all.
                      Francis

Comment

Well..there's no good way to take the magnet off that driver. And it won't be a useful passive radiator, for various reasons. In fact, it probably shouldn't share the air space with those big woofers at all.

Comment

Yes, usually glued quite firmly. The iron pole pieces account for much of the weight, so you'd want to remove those, too. And even were it not for the glue, the magnetic attraction makes it dicey trying to remove it unless you degauss the assembly.
                          Francis

Comment

Comment

In fact, it probably shouldn't share the air space with those big woofers at all.
                              Because... in this case you would be creating an incorrectly tuned passive radiator that will just unload the woofers ruining bass output and potentially compromizing their power handling capability. At the very least it will flop around and make undesirable noises so even if you don't remove the magnet it should be sealed at the rear or you should short the voice coil.
                              Paul O

Comment

Working...
                              X