X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hobbyhands
    started a topic Well it happened again.

Well it happened again.

Was with some new friends and we were at sams club and they were raving how great bose is. So i informed them that there may be even better options at a lower price. Of course most of use here know bose is over rated. They are kind of diy people so i want to suggest a pe kit under $200. Any thoughts. More. Ht sound

• ceiol
    replied
    S2000 by Carmody

punches well above its weight class

one of my favorite builds.

Leave a comment:

• Geoff Millar
    replied
    Originally posted by Dirttracker73 View Post
    Keep in mind, a lot of non hifi people wouldn't know accurate response if you hit them over the head with it. New listeners may be disappointed without the common over-bassed loudness button. Accurate speakers sometimes sound thin until the ears become adjusted to fidelity over thump. Bose has the pseudo bass and people think it is good. I would suggest speakers that have some impact, such as Nano Neos or any of the nd105 designs. The Classix 2 or Hitmakers, with 6.5" woffers, may also have decent bass. There are others but not much under $200.
    The Classix II do indeed have good bass; just read any review. I was very pleasantly surprised when I built mine, even with my amateur cabinet making and lumpy soldering they sounded great. A friend who has a Bose cube system was very impressed. Especially when I told him the price.

A choice between the Classix and the Hitmakers will come down to room size, listening habits and desired efficiency. Mr Carmody's web site shows that the Classix are slightly more efficient.

I haven't heard the Hitmakers but reviews are excellent too; they're designed as near field monitors but in a PE discussion some time ago, Paul says that they could be used as ordinary speakers, but not in a large room.

Geoff

Leave a comment:

• Dirttracker73
    replied
    Keep in mind, a lot of non hifi people wouldn't know accurate response if you hit them over the head with it. New listeners may be disappointed without the common over-bassed loudness button. Accurate speakers sometimes sound thin until the ears become adjusted to fidelity over thump. Bose has the pseudo bass and people think it is good. I would suggest speakers that have some impact, such as Nano Neos or any of the nd105 designs. The Classix 2 or Hitmakers, with 6.5" woffers, may also have decent bass. There are others but not much under $200.

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    Quarks. Pretty easy if from diysg, no holes to drill except for terminals, easy crossover great sound. You just can't beat them for a new builder.

Leave a comment:

• a4eaudio
    replied
    Thinking of smaller footprint...while not quite a PE Kit, the Quarks and Heliums (and I'm sure some others) use the .04 cubic feet knock-down cabinets at PE. Assuming the advantage of a kit is not building the cabinet, you can buy everything including the cabinet at PE, thus the difference is that kit is one-click and the others you'll have to add all the parts to the shopping cart individually

But I think price-wise the Quarks and Heliums (even though smaller) are still in that $110ish price range.

Leave a comment:

• hobbyhands
    replied
    Does. It not have to be cube size.,the overnight sensations were my first thoughts

Leave a comment:

• killa
    replied
    Outside of diy any of the infinity/jbl satellite speakers destroy bose and are quite a bit cheaper.

Leave a comment:

• ernperkins
    replied
    I'd consider the S2000 kit by Paul Carmody at the diysoundgroup site.

Leave a comment:

• billfitzmaurice
    replied
    Originally posted by hobbyhands View Post
    i want to suggest a pe kit under $200.
    Any and all of them will outperform Bose.

Leave a comment:

• Sydney
    replied
    ,,,must be Bose
    That old retort has made it around the world and is as familiar as a chicken crossing the road - I've heard my non-audio friends repeat the B joke.
    Rack up their success to intensive marketing of a niche product ( a small innocuous source of music that doesn't clash with decor )

Leave a comment:

• kenrhodes
    replied
    Almost any tweeter mid will beat the Bose Jewel cube. To be honest it's not a fair fight. That cube is SMALL. There are designs in the same form factor that can beat the Bose. "Minions" come to mind, I know there are others.

Leave a comment:

• Geoff Millar
    replied
    Originally posted by a4eaudio View Post
    While there are a lot of proven designs out there, and kits in general, if you are limiting yourself to PE kits under $200 your pretty much looking at C-notes, Overnight Sensations, Classix II, Hitmakers and TriTrix.

Interestingly, these are pretty diverse and meet different needs based on their preferences - for example Hitmakers are designed to be a Studio Monitor while OS and TriTrix have TM, MTM and Center Speaker designs if they want to expand later to a HT system.
    I think any of those options, although I've only built two of them, would be better than Bose: it would be an 'interesting' challenge to design/build something as bad as some of the Bose speakers I've heard. But people think they look cool.

A now defunct and pioneering stereo shop in Melbourne used to have a saying: "Too many highs, not many lows, no in-betweens - must be Bose".To be fair, Bose is only one brand among several (many?) whose reputation and sales bely their sound quality.

If it's the small size and design that hobbyhands' friends want, maybe the Overnight Sensations might work (depending an all the important issues in Kornbread's post, of course). The woofer looks groovy and the cabinets are in Baltic Birch rather than MDF, so they would be easier to finish nicely. Also, the Dayton Classic woofers sound good but they do look rather clunky beside the HiVis.

Geoff

Leave a comment:

• a4eaudio
    replied
    While there are a lot of proven designs out there, and kits in general, if you are limiting yourself to PE kits under $200 your pretty much looking at C-notes, Overnight Sensations, Classix II, Hitmakers and TriTrix.

Interestingly, these are pretty diverse and meet different needs based on their preferences - for example Hitmakers are designed to be a Studio Monitor while OS and TriTrix have TM, MTM and Center Speaker designs if they want to expand later to a HT system.

Leave a comment:

• Kornbread
    replied
    Some of the guys at work have seen pics of some of my builds, a few have heard them. At lunch one of the guys (he's really a backstabbing pric) wanted me to build him a pair of speakers to go in his garage, "I'll pay whatever your price is ... and I want them to be good like Bose." Before I could think, my mouth spoke and told him to take his money down the road, WalMart had what he needed.

Anyhow, really need to know the fundamentals like; what kind of music are they into, size of room, etc.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X