black MDF !

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• black MDF !

i was recently at a site where they used black mdf , this can be an alternative to expensive veneer/painting and/or boring bare mdf / bb !
    donc

Hmm, sounds intriguing. Wonder what that costs compared to a typical sheet of MDF from the big box stores? I also wonder if it really looks like a painted box, or if it still has that same matte appearance as MDF... just black! I didn't see any prices during my quick google search. Probably didn't look hard enough though.
    Voxel Down Firing with Dayton SA70
    Translam Subwoofers - The Jedi Mind Tricks
    The Super Bees - Garage 2 way
    SevenSixTwo - InDIYana 2018 Coax

Comment

i havent priced it yet either , i would think it would be more expensive and of better quality than the box store stuff . it does not look painted , it looks like MDF thats black .
      donc

Comment

Some details in http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...8720-black-mdf

Comment

Troels uses it extensively in his builds.

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/Diy_Lou...r_Projects.htm

Comment

I brought this up years ago. At that time, it was not easy to find in the U.S.

Comment

fwiw I have used black and violet, it is nicer stuff to work with than normal MDF for sure and comes up nicelywit Here's an example (finished with danish oil). NB: I'm in the UK so can't comment on US availability.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
                I brought this up years ago. At that time, it was not easy to find in the U.S.
                Where is it available in the US? I think I would like to try it.

Comment

I don't think I did find any, you can look for it yourself, it's been a few years since I looked.

2 minutes on google (evil), they might sell you a boxcar load.

http://packardforestproducts.com/pro...ech-color-mdf/

Comment

Bare OSB and pallet wood are all the rage right now, my unfinished MDF cabinets are patiently waiting for the day when MDF gets it's day in the sun.Click image for larger version

Name:	c2fecb66dffb2bb54009d5cfabf6ab90.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	422.9 KB
ID:	1367423
                    Last edited by relder; 03-01-2018, 01:20 PM. Reason: Add pic
                    Copy of Lou C's speaker pages: http://www.rob-elder.com/LouC/speakers.html

Comment

Originally posted by relder View Post
                      Bare OSB and pallet wood are all the rage right now, my unfinished MDF cabinets are patiently waiting for the day when MDF gets it's day in the sun.[ATTACH=CONFIG]n1367423[/ATTACH]
                      Hey that looks like an awfully nice dorm room

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
                        I don't think I did find any, you can look for it yourself, it's been a few years since I looked.

2 minutes on google (evil), they might sell you a boxcar load.

http://packardforestproducts.com/pro...ech-color-mdf/
                        Group buy!

Comment

uncanny, the timing. I just ordered some last week. I have been looking at it for some time. Interlam is the most readily known supplier in the US and is based on NC. It is $108.00 a sheet of 199mm (.75) and you can order a sheet at a time. While it is more expensive, it is ready to go. From what I have seen and read, you finish with lacquer and your done. Edges sand smooth as well. It is also rates E0 and non-toxic. If you are west coast, you can find at trinity. Much more expensive though. The shipping either way will get you.

The architect I was speaking with in Atlanta, told me it was also 40% stronger and more dense. I am definitely going to try it. Interlam (Forescolor) sells it in about 6-8 colors. Should have mine by mid-next week. I will report back.

Michael B

Comment

Originally posted by mmbone4 View Post
                            uncanny, the timing. I just ordered some last week. I have been looking at it for some time. Interlam is the most readily known supplier in the US and is based on NC. It is $108.00 a sheet of 199mm (.75) and you can order a sheet at a time. While it is more expensive, it is ready to go. From what I have seen and read, you finish with lacquer and your done. Edges sand smooth as well. It is also rates E0 and non-toxic. If you are west coast, you can find at trinity. Much more expensive though. The shipping either way will get you.

The architect I was speaking with in Atlanta, told me it was also 40% stronger and more dense. I am definitely going to try it. Interlam (Forescolor) sells it in about 6-8 colors. Should have mine by mid-next week. I will report back.

Michael B
                            Very cool. Did you order it direct or from a local supplier?

Comment

Ordered directly from manufacture in NC. Interlam...you are ordering Forescolor product. Go the interlam-design site. They will sell and ship a single sheet. But shipping is about $50. Not cheap. If you are west coast, you can order from trinity, pre-cut in basis 12x12, 12x24, 24x48, etc...its more expensive, but if you are trying it...may not make sense to buy a full sheet.

Comment

Working...
                              X