No announcement yet.

The simplest, most user friendly software to measure speaker frequency response is?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The simplest, most user friendly software to measure speaker frequency response is?

Hi Gents,

It is time for me to start to measure the frequency response of some of the speakers I'm building. I have spent many hours looking at You tube videos and researching measurement options and am pretty confused. I am barely computer literate and just looking at the Omnimic promotional video makes my head swim. Just a minute or so in Joe says, " Just download the calibration file from the Dayton Audio web site and..." Well I don't have a clue as to how to do that first step let alone the many following it. I haven't been able to even open any of the FRD files successfully. I get a download , but when I try to open it windows suggests I look for an ap in the ap store to open it and I'm lost already.
    I can navigate this web site adequately and have just recently learned how to post links, but I do not use a cell phone and have had no computer use training. But, I want to measure my speakers. I have asked a colleague in the music department at the university where I used to teach to try and find a student who can help but have had no luck yet.
    I have a laptop computer with Windows 10, a Behringer ECM8000 mike, and a Dayton imm6 for hardware but no software. Can anyone suggest simple, intuitive software and guidance as to what additional hardware, eg. cables etc. I need. I hope some day to get to where I am measuring drivers, but right now would be happy to just see how crossover changes change measured frequency response.

Omnimic is about as simple as it gets for a plug-and-play solution. All software has a prerequisite of needing basic computing skills such as opening files, knowing where you just saved that file to, etc. So if you can't get past "load in the calibration file for your mic" step, I'd take a step back from speaker design and focus on basic computer operation first.
    "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
    exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

If you already have a mic. I only know about ARTA. I don't think OMNI mic works with separate mics. Try these links for ARTA
      John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

I use REW (Room EQ Wizard) most of the times these days. I haven't tried ARTA yet, but REW is pretty simple to use, once you set it up correctly (which is probably true of all of the FR measurement tools).

Brian Steele

Drjay, I agree with everyone else. It's not the response measurement software that is likely to pose a problem for you. It's knowing how to properly use your computer. Omnimic is very simple to use, but that is regarding the Omnimic software itself, once everything on the machine (PC) has been set-up properly.

I use Windows 10 and Omnimic, so I can definitely help if you specifically choose the Omnimic program. I was up and running in about 10minutes, probably less.

Drjay - you might be missing one key piece of hardware. You'll need some type of audio interface to connect the Behringer mic to your computer. It needs to have phantom power for the mic. You can get a cheap Behringer for around $40, but I would opt for a simple $100 Focusrite or PreSonus.

It all seems daunting at first, but once you get it set up, learn the key concepts, and understand the signal routing, you'll be good to go! The ARTA tutorial will step you through the setup - and there's a whole community here to help!
            Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

I use both Arta and Omnimic, and honestly like both.
              Arta has the benefit of being essentially free.
              Charlie Laub wrote up a great tutorial for Arta that's on the web.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
              "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
              SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
              My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Just to chime in with something different -- I've used HOLM (free) with a couple different Dayton mics (currently with the USB model) over the years. Pretty user-friendly.

I'll second Brian with REW, it's free, easy to use once set up, and has a large userbase and 'how to' forum

I'm not all that good with computers myself, but it sounds like you'll need to learn a few computer basics before measuring. Good luck.

Many thanks for all the input Gentlemen. I had not investigated Room EQ Wizard because I didn't know it would provide speaker frequency response info. It is probably not the best for driver analysis, but since my goal for now is just to look at frequency response, I think it is what I'll try first. I have already found several tutorials that are pretty understandable and the interface seems more intuitive than anything else I've seen. I have a bid in on a Focusrite 2i2 and plan to fire up my laptop and download REQW tomorrow. I'm sure I'll struggle, but I was able to get comfortable with WinISD with minimal help so I'm hopeful.

Thanks again to All,

I came from the 'pre-computer' era, or at least the era where no normal person could afford one. My first computer class was, IIRC, microcomputer basics which dealt with dbase, lotus 123, and wordstar? Never touched a computer outside the college's lab, and I flopped horribly. Then years later came the internet. Out here in the sticks it was only dial-up, but wow, what a world full of information. I like having all that information at my fingertips, so I slowly learned how to do the basic things.

Yep, if you're like me, you'll probably have many struggles, but you'll get there. Just keep working at it.

If you didhn't already have a mic, I'd say maybe give the Dayton umm6 usb mic a try. It plugs directly into your computer's usb port without the need for any kind of phantom power, and it's on sale for $65