No announcement yet.

PE pruduct request!

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PE pruduct request!

I personally would like to see some kind of stepped attenuator with remote control. I think if you could make this happen for around $150 it would sell like hotcakes. I am sure others would like to see this happen for use between a DAC and amplifier. I have only seen remote control stepped attenuators that are audiophool priced so far. I know it can't be that expensive to make one.

From what I've seen: The stepped options adds cost. The 9V boards kits that use motorized potentometers are fairly cheap ( quality unknown ).
    There are boxes ( no pots ) that offer IR remote under $40.
    Circuits based upon PGA2311 at that price too.
    Product that don't use potentiometers are very cheap; I've purchased media players with remotes that have volume control in "steps", they cost me from $10 - $ 20.
    Functionally ( as they also had line inputs ) the IR provided Volume control on an integrated player/amp.
    "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
    "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

To be clear I am talking about the stepped attenuators that use a "ladder resistor" network.Could also be a relay controlled ladder network. The idea is to affect the signal as little as possible.

I was working on a design for a Preamplifier that incorporated 6 DPDT relays arranged in a ladder network - it would provide 64 different volume settings and was planning to use an Arduinio micro controller to control it. I got side tracked back to making speakers then sidetracked now on a amplifier I'm building that uses the Arduinio to monitor over current protection, D.C. Offset detection and temperature. I employing a solid state relay on the speaker outputs that uses a pair of deep trench Mosfets that have very low on resistance. I'm now thinking the solid state relay might be even better for a volume control network with ladder resistors - but more expensive.