Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anybody heard the HiVi - DIY 3.1A speakers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anybody heard the HiVi - DIY 3.1A speakers?

HI Guys,

I prefer to build my own cabinets, and don't have the spare cash right now, but this kit looks like it has nice components and should sound very good. So, has anyone heard it who can comment on its sound and perhaps on how it compares to other better known speakers.

Cheers,
    Jay

They are good, but benefit from some crossover mods. I have a detailed write up on the Midwest Audio Club forum.
    Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions

Comment

Thanks for the info Scott. Your write up at the MAC forum was very interesting and informative. One question though, how did they ultimately stack up against the Indiums in your final listening tests? Of course the Indiums being a much bigger speaker with a 10" woofer would have deeper bass, but that 6.5 carbon woofer is well regarded and might sound very good too. Inquiring minds want to know...

Best,
      Jay

Comment

Scott -- I enjoyed reading that thread on the MAC forum.

I'm going to be doing your final, best crossover for the 3.1s

Have you also looked at the HiVi DIY 2.2a crossover?

Comment

I haven't looked at the 2.2's. I bought the 3.1's for an even better price than the Amazon price from someone local who built them along with the 2.2's. That individual preferred the 2.2's, which I can understand. In my work on the 3.1's, I found the HiVi measurements to be very accurate, so I trust their graph for the 2.2, which still looks like it is voiced a little hot on the treble end of the scale, but only by a few dB's as opposed to the 8 dB's or so that the 3.1's treble was elevated.

I haven't run them against the Indium 7's yet. I may get that this weekend. It really will be an interesting comparison.

Sehlin Sound Solutions

Comment

At that price there are a lot of choices. Is it a standout? I had thought about trying the ELAC B6 commercial speaker at about the same price.

Comment

Originally posted by Drjay View Post
              HI Guys,

I prefer to build my own cabinets, and don't have the spare cash right now, but this kit looks like it has nice components and should sound very good. So, has anyone heard it who can comment on its sound and perhaps on how it compares to other better known speakers.

Cheers,
              Jay
              I was lucky enough to get the 3.1's at the crazy-low introductory price. It's a great kit, but as Scott mentions, the stock crossover gives a response that is way too hot. I'm very satisfied with the mods I made. Scott's work gives you options even closer to a flat response. The components are pretty solid. FWIW, I had no interest in the 2.2, even at the introductory price, mainly based on JR's experience with it.

Comment

Scott -- in your re-designed crossover the woofer is wired reverse polarity.

Is that for phase alignment? I've seen many designs now where the tweeter is reverse polarity, but this is the first XO I've seen with the woofer as such

(forgive newbie questions -- I'm still a novice)

thx

Comment

It is simpler than reversing polarity of BOTH the midrange and the tweeter. Net effect is the same.

Comment

The woofer was wired with reverse polarity because I mistakenly hooked it up that way when I measured. If modifying the design per my findings, one would keep the polarity the same as the original design with all drivers wired in positive polarity.

Sehlin Sound Solutions

Comment

I have had the opportunity to run these head-to-head against the Indium 7. The tonal balance is very similar and it can be difficult to tell for sure which one is playing. The Indium 7 bass digs deeper due to the more gradual sealed roll off. I thought the piano was slightly more prominent in the modified DIY 3.1 relative to the Indium 7, but will have to do more listening to confirm. If there is a difference, it is pretty subtle.

All-in-all they sound close enough that I am tempted to name the modified version as part of the Indium family...

Sehlin Sound Solutions

Comment

Originally posted by scottsehlin View Post
                        They are good, but benefit from some crossover mods. I have a detailed write up on the Midwest Audio Club forum.

Read that post with great interest.
                        Have you made any additional changes since then, and how do you feel about the sound of it now?
                        Are you still running Option (4)

Comment

Working...
                        X