Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

Has anybody heard the HiVi - DIY 3.1A speakers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    i built this kit a month or so ago and very happy with the results from the stock crossover.. the highs are a bit bright as several people mentioned, and thinking about doing some of the mods mentioned here, but for the price its a pretty damn good deal even at the 249 price.. this was my first speaker build and I am hooked. already looking at the next speaker build. the woofers have much more bass than i was expecting.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by rockingmallet View Post
      i built this kit a month or so ago and very happy with the results from the stock crossover.. the highs are a bit bright as several people mentioned, and thinking about doing some of the mods mentioned here, but for the price its a pretty damn good deal even at the 249 price.. this was my first speaker build and I am hooked. already looking at the next speaker build. the woofers have much more bass than i was expecting.
      I would assume you built an entirely new box, or is that the stock box, with a new baffle etc?

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by rockingmallet View Post
        i built this kit a month or so ago and very happy with the results from the stock crossover.. the highs are a bit bright as several people mentioned, and thinking about doing some of the mods mentioned here, but for the price its a pretty damn good deal even at the 249 price.. this was my first speaker build and I am hooked. already looking at the next speaker build. the woofers have much more bass than i was expecting.
        That baffle sure does not appear to be stock with the rear mounting. It also appears to be slightly longer than the box. Is the tweeter to mid distance still the same as the original? it's tough to tell with the flanges hidden.

        FWIW, Scott has an improved XO that just adds a parallel resistor to the tweeter and mid, I believe. That allows preservation of the stock board. Maybe he'll chime in.

        Very nice finished look, BTW.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by kevintomb View Post

          I would assume you built an entirely new box, or is that the stock box, with a new baffle etc?
          the box itself is what came with the kit. i ended up cutting the 45's off the face and mounted a 1" solid walnut baffle on it so the volume didn't change at all other than back mounting the speakers. I am pretty sure i made them more directional with that particular modification but am still pretty happy with the results and like the look of them much better than flush mounted. i tossed the black vinyl that was with the kit and bought some raw walnut veneer to wrap the box in.

          turn2 thanks! i am 'living' with the speakers for awhile to determine if i want to do the mod.. pretty sure i do, but going to give them a bit. The baffle is custom as expected and is slightly _1/8" proud of the box. the tweeter to mid distance is slightly different, but not by much. i wanted to keep as close as possible to the original spacing not knowing how it would change the sound signature. but back mounting the speakers probably did more than moving the tweeter a 1/4".

          here is the evolution of the baffle. you can see there isn't much difference. the mid is slightly lower to even out the spacing on the final, but very little.

          Click image for larger version  Name:	20180505_160243.jpg Views:	1 Size:	582.0 KB ID:	1382858

          one thing i was going to do and forgot about until after i glued the damn thing together was the cover. i planned on putting hidden magnets so i could add a grill later, but forgot to put the mags in.. *palm - forehead*

          Comment


          • #20
            Wow those speaker stands look amazing as well. Did you make them? Do you happen to have instructions or additional photos ?

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by thewongster View Post
              Wow those speaker stands look amazing as well. Did you make them? Do you happen to have instructions or additional photos ?
              thanks thewongster i built the stands specifically for these speakers. i put the attached together real quick. the drawings and photos should give you a good idea of how to build them if you want.
              Attached Files

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by rockingmallet View Post

                thanks thewongster i built the stands specifically for these speakers. i put the attached together real quick. the drawings and photos should give you a good idea of how to build them if you want.
                Wow thanks for the PDF, excellent details, I imagine you cut those legs yourself as well with a router?

                Comment


                • #23
                  I'm loving the idea of these speakers so far and I am contemplating on using them as my L and R for HT setup. So I'll start with a little bit of context for this post so bear with me.

                  My goal is to slowly build the HT with quality speakers as opposed to buying mediocre to components just to have a 5.1 system today. I was thinking of building a center channel that would match the DIY 3.1 which at first I was going to construct/design completely from scratch as the Swan M3 didn't clearly have a designed center channel as it's sold as a 2.0 setup. But, after much research I stumbled upon this M3 equivalent (for HT appllications):

                  https://swanspeakers.com/product/rm3...-home-theater/

                  After that I was able to deduct that the center channel (RM300C) in the system above could be close enough be built from this DIY610C model:

                  http://www.hivi.us/products/detail.a...00000254929385

                  Both of these models use the same drivers which are 2 x Hivi L5-8R woofers and the T28 tweeter but unfortunately that kit is not for sale/OOS in north america but luckily enough the diagrams and the design is listed on their website so I can piece together the kit myself !

                  The real problem though is that I have access to the Hivi L5-8R at a really great price but the T28 tweeter is unavailable to consumers... Here is my plan though, I want to use the design above but switch the T28 tweeter for RT1.3WE which I can get for a steal locally. I'm not an expert at all but the reasons I want to do this are:

                  1. Similar specs on the level of power handling, nominal impedance.
                  2. This model seems to have a good horizontal dispersion which is what I would want in a center channel (correct?)
                  3. Excellent deal
                  4. I'm a sucker for matching components and I know this tweeter is used already in the DIY3.1C. Shallow but it's the truth...

                  I am not an expert at all but I know for sure that the crossover would have to be redesigned, but due to the reasons above I really want to use this tweeter. Can anyone give me any hints/clues/designs on exactly how to fix the crossover? I know for sure that I would have to throw a resistor in to reduce the sensitivity of the tweeter... If I don't get any responses I may start a new thread for this.

                  Looking forward to the responses!



                  Comment


                  • #24
                    thewongster i would start a new post as i am interested in what you end up doing and would like to follow the progress. i am actually looking at doing something very similar, but my solution was to purchase the HIVI 3.1 kit again and use the components for the center so all components match. i would have an extra mid and tweeter but i'm ok with that. i would obviously trash the box completely and design one from scratch. pricing out the parts it was more than this kit was even with the extra components. it would make for a sizable center and it would be either a TMW to do an exact match of the L/R speakers or a WTMW configuration in the typical horizontal. the wife nixed the 3rd matching speaker so the horizontal it is for me. i figured the crossover components would work as well with some modifications to accommodate the two woofers. (i am not a crossover expert and would need to ask for help in this regard)

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by rockingmallet View Post
                      thewongster i would start a new post as i am interested in what you end up doing and would like to follow the progress. i am actually looking at doing something very similar, but my solution was to purchase the HIVI 3.1 kit again and use the components for the center so all components match. i would have an extra mid and tweeter but i'm ok with that. i would obviously trash the box completely and design one from scratch. pricing out the parts it was more than this kit was even with the extra components. it would make for a sizable center and it would be either a TMW to do an exact match of the L/R speakers or a WTMW configuration in the typical horizontal. the wife nixed the 3rd matching speaker so the horizontal it is for me. i figured the crossover components would work as well with some modifications to accommodate the two woofers. (i am not a crossover expert and would need to ask for help in this regard)
                      Thanks for the reply rockingmallet, another limitation I forgot to mention was that I wanted a relatively narrow (short speaker) so that it could fit under my TV that's why I am okay with the L5-8R instead of the L6-4R which is a little bigger. I'll make a new thread as this seems to fit in its own topic.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Thanks to ScottSehlin for redesigning the crossover! I bought the kit when it first became available in 2017 but never got around to assembling them until now. I made a million mistakes with the cabinet and paint job, but now have a great sounding pair of speakers. I ended up using the perfectionist crossover and the speakers compare very well to my zaph sr-71. The HiVi's only have a few hours of music on them right now so I'm sure they'll open up even more as they break in.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X