School me on DSP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School me on DSP

There's plenty of educational material over at minidsp.com, check under the "applications" menu.
    "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
    exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

Comment

Not sure I understand what you ask, but somewhere along the signal chain - an analog signal is captured and converted with an Analog to Digital Conversion (A/D)
      Once in a digital domain, it ( the audio ) can be fully manipulated using Digital Signal Processing.
      Are you familiar with the MiniDSP product platform?

"Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
      “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
      "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

And,,,
        http://www.dspguide.com/ch1/3.htm
        http://www.analog.com/en/design-cent...de-to-dsp.html
        "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

There are a couple of articles at Audiodevelopers.com that go over the DSP basics and how to implement high quality active speakers with integrated Wi-Fi audio.

​There is a new 2-input 6-output DSP board with WiFi in the works as well. It will be Revision 3 of the "ADAU1701-based stereo 3-way board", and it will incorporate the Linkplay A28 module with digital input to the ADAU1701 for somewhat higher audio quality.
          Free Passive Speaker Designer Lite (PSD-Lite) -- http://www.audiodevelopers.com/Softw...Lite/setup.exe

Comment

Originally posted by neildavis View Post
            ...There is a new 2-input 6-output DSP board with WiFi in the works as well. ...
            well,,,i'm waiting
            ( just some friendly prodding )

Comment

Basically DSP is just an easy way to implement filter transfer functions. Instead of doing it analog with Op Amps before the amp, or in a passive crossover at speaker level, the signal is moved to the digital domain where it is processed.

Typically we have to do the foot work on the DIY DSP stuff. You to do the measurements, establish the target response and compensation filters and implement them in whatever DSP platform you've got going on. Commercial stuff often has this done for you. My Yamaha receiver come with a measurement mic. I placed that sucker at ear level in the sweet spot and let it run it's calibration routine. That automatically did sweeps of all channels, and calculated the DSP filters required to flatten it out. There are mixed reviews on how well that works. For my experience, I did REW sweeps after and the results were quite good, even with my sub par HTPC speakers.

You can start playing with it yourself using REW and Equalizer APO with almost no investment, though you do need a measurement mic and a Windows PC to use as your source.
              Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
              Wogg Music

Comment

There are a couple of articles at Audiodevelopers.com that go over the DSP basics and how to implement high quality active speakers with integrated Wi-Fi audio.

​There is a new 2-input 6-output DSP board with WiFi in the works as well. It will be Revision 3 of the "ADAU1701-based stereo 3-way board", and it will incorporate the Linkplay A28 module with digital input to the ADAU1701 for somewhat higher audio quality.
                I would be interested on this too. This would be good for my future multiple subs project.

Comment

Originally posted by 300Z View Post
                  I would be interested on this too. This would be good for my future multiple subs project.
                  ​It's got a lot of applications. It could be used as left or right for a high-end wireless 2-way speaker, or it could be the crossover, EQ and controller for a stereo 3-way system. Or, it could be a "smart sub" that has programmable boost or bass enhancement. Very flexible, and all filters, delays and volume settings are controllable from a cell phone application.

This design is possible because the Linkplay A28 module appears to just use one output frequency for the I2S data. No matter which input I selected or source material selected, the frequency was fixed. And it was a frequency that can be used as a clock input for the ADAU1701. So it looks like a simple 3-wire connection from the Linkplay A28 module, which PE sells for $25.

That module provides DLNA and Airplay capability, along with multi-room switching and channel pairing for stereo. So you can play anything from your phone or music collection to any speaker that uses the module. Plus, there is a native app for Spotify and a few other Internet streaming sources. And by using the analog inputs from the ADAU1701, you could capture "local" audio from a PC or other player. All this capability on a board that is less than 3" by 4".

​This would be a good learning project for DSP, since there is so much documentation available and because of the possibilities for making this project even more "open". Should be fun...

Free Passive Speaker Designer Lite (PSD-Lite) -- http://www.audiodevelopers.com/Softw...Lite/setup.exe

Comment

Thank you for the link. This should be a big help.

Comment

​It's got a lot of applications. It could be used as left or right for a high-end wireless 2-way speaker, or it could be the crossover, EQ and controller for a stereo 3-way system. Or, it could be a "smart sub" that has programmable boost or bass enhancement. Very flexible, and all filters, delays and volume settings are controllable from a cell phone application.

This design is possible because the Linkplay A28 module appears to just use one output frequency for the I2S data. No matter which input I selected or source material selected, the frequency was fixed. And it was a frequency that can be used as a clock input for the ADAU1701. So it looks like a simple 3-wire connection from the Linkplay A28 module, which PE sells for $25.

That module provides DLNA and Airplay capability, along with multi-room switching and channel pairing for stereo. So you can play anything from your phone or music collection to any speaker that uses the module. Plus, there is a native app for Spotify and a few other Internet streaming sources. And by using the analog inputs from the ADAU1701, you could capture "local" audio from a PC or other player. All this capability on a board that is less than 3" by 4".

​This would be a good learning project for DSP, since there is so much documentation available and because of the possibilities for making this project even more "open". Should be fun...

This is all super cool. I would love to build up some active speakers with these.

Comment

These are great. THANKS

Comment

This is great, I already use a MiniDSP for my current 2 way system and a DCX2496 for the single sub but I plan on adding another 2 subs for a multi sub setup and would like to do away from the DCX and have something I can activate remotely if possible since I don't always use the sub, this board sounds like it's exactly what I want.

Comment

Working...
                          X