First Listen: Jimi Hendrix, 'Both Sides Of The Sky'

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Listen: Jimi Hendrix, 'Both Sides Of The Sky'

Blasts from the Past - Studio outtakes recorded after 1968's 'Electric Ladyland:
    https://www.npr.org/2018/03/01/58894...des-of-the-sky
    "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
    “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
    "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

I bought this album this morning - just had to have it.

Honestly, this is not a proper album, more a collection of demos, rehearsals and interesting but mostly inessential material. It's well worth hearing, but, even if the cover is a portrait of Jimi as attacked by Michael Jackson's plastic surgeon...what were they thinking?

Cherokee Mist and Jungle are highlights, with electric sitar on the former. Interesting to hear him playing with Johnny Winter and Stephen Stills, too. Lover Man, Stepping Stone and Sweet Angel are pretty close to previously released takes but of course still worthwhile.

If you're a hard core fan, you will likely have this material on bootleg but the songs won't sound as good as they do here, with decent mixing, and mastering by Bernie Grundman. Of course, the otherwise excellent liner notes don't miss the chance to give the late Alan Douglas a bollocking.

NB There is still, after almost 50 years, a fair amount of decent unreleased live material which fans would welcome. I'm sure that modern studio techniques could make the 1970 LA Forum and KB Hallen shows a good listen for the faithful. Please!

Geoff

Comment

I'd agree with your assessment. Interesting outtakes.
      "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
      “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
      "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Millar View Post
        I bought this album this morning - just had to have it.

Honestly, this is not a proper album, more a collection of demos, rehearsals and interesting but mostly inessential material. It's well worth hearing, but, even if the cover is a portrait of Jimi as attacked by Michael Jackson's plastic surgeon...what were they thinking?

Cherokee Mist and Jungle are highlights, with electric sitar on the former. Interesting to hear him playing with Johnny Winter and Stephen Stills, too. Lover Man, Stepping Stone and Sweet Angel are pretty close to previously released takes but of course still worthwhile.

If you're a hard core fan, you will likely have this material on bootleg but the songs won't sound as good as they do here, with decent mixing, and mastering by Bernie Grundman. Of course, the otherwise excellent liner notes don't miss the chance to give the late Alan Douglas a bollocking.

NB There is still, after almost 50 years, a fair amount of decent unreleased live material which fans would welcome. I'm sure that modern studio techniques could make the 1970 LA Forum and KB Hallen shows a good listen for the faithful. Please!

Geoff
        ​Well, I certainly want to give it a listen, but seriously, of all the Hendrix albums I already have I only regularly listen to about one third of them. Actually, I'm hoping my daughter will buy the new release for me. LOL

Comment

Geoff
          Do you know if the June 20, 1969 Newport Pop Festival, where The Jimi Hendrix Experience traveled to perform at Devonshire Downs at the California State University in Northridge, has any of it ever been released or bootlegged? That day was as close as I ever got to Hendrix. My father, along with me in the car, was attempting to drive through the northern part of the San Fernando Valley, but the roads were all blocked. Police activity had everyone detour to avoid the tangle and the subsequent mess that happened there at Devonshire Downs.

Comment

Here's a bootleg version: https://www.discogs.com/Jimi-Hendrix...elease/3441719. There's also several videos of it on youtube.
            "Everything is nothing without a high sound quality." (Sure Electronics)

Comment

There are excerpts from the second Devonshire Downs show on YouTube; there was an Experience show the previous day but by all accounts it was not very good, so Jimi came back the next day to jam. The full jam was available for a time but was pulled; it was a bit aimless but had some great guitar work of course. The bootleg was called "It Never Takes an End".

I think if you collect any artist, whether it's Bach, Dylan Beatles or Hendrix, you will wind up with a heap of material you don't listen to much: for example, would anyone really listen to all 6 CDs of the Basement Tapes that much? 20 CDs of Bach Cantatas? But if you're a collector you have to have everything!

I listen to probably 20 Hendrix albums regularly, of which a few are bootlegs; the recent Bernie Grundman masters are easily the best sounding.

Geoff

Comment

Do you know if the June 20, 1969 Newport Pop Festival, where The Jimi Hendrix Experience traveled to perform at Devonshire Downs at the California State University in Northridge, has any of it ever been released or bootlegged? That day was as close as I ever got to Hendrix.
                ​I remember that concert, vaguely. A group of us drove up from San Diego to see it. Traffic was bad on 405. I remember Hendrix but don't remember much else from the concert.

... would anyone really listen to ...20 CDs of Bach Cantatas?

​Yep. And the complete set is actually 60 CD's (Harnoncourt), with a few more in the secular series. I've got them transferred to MP3 format for listening in the car. On 3 hour trips to our cabin I can get through about 2 CD's (about 4 or 5 cantatas) before I wear out. I've played some of them many times, but try to make sure I've heard each one at least once. The car is a bad place to listen critically, but it's good to explore what's available in the collection.
                Free Passive Speaker Designer Lite (PSD-Lite) -- http://www.audiodevelopers.com/Softw...Lite/setup.exe

Comment

Originally posted by neildavis View Post

​I remember that concert, vaguely. A group of us drove up from San Diego to see it. Traffic was bad on 405. I remember Hendrix but don't remember much else from the concert.

​Yep. And the complete set is actually 60 CD's (Harnoncourt), with a few more in the secular series. I've got them transferred to MP3 format for listening in the car. On 3 hour trips to our cabin I can get through about 2 CD's (about 4 or 5 cantatas) before I wear out. I've played some of them many times, but try to make sure I've heard each one at least once. The car is a bad place to listen critically, but it's good to explore what's available in the collection.
                  60 discs! That (i.e. the cantatas as a whole) is probably the largest single body of work created by any composer?

I enjoy the cantatas but prefer his instrumental compositions such as the solo cello sonatas and the violin sonatas/partitas, simply great art. I have 10 sets of the violin works and enjoy all of them for different reasons.

Hendrix didn't come to Australia and I'm just a bit too young to have gone to a show anyway, so I'm envious of anyone who saw him live. Apparently even the worst Experience gigs had their moments.

Geoff

Comment

Working...
                  X