Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Murphy & Kittinger Vianadi

I was looking for a lower cost alternative to the
    canTiLena Speaker for a three way--that SS revelator woofer is just over budget. I stumbled upon the Vianadi. I see no reference to this design anywhere else. The driver selectionis similar (MT) with a different woofer. The crossover was also designed by Dennis Murphy vs Rick Craig.

The Vianadi uses Scan-Speak Discovery, 22W/8534G00, 8" woofer (rather than SS22W/8857T00) mated with Morel’s MDM55 midrange and Fountek’s NeoX 1.0 Ribbon Tweeter
    Meanwhile, the CanTilena is an 8" SS22W/8857T00 Woofer, in a single-fold 77" long ML TL, with a Morel MDM55 Midrange and a Fountek NeoCD1.0 Ribbon Tweeter.

1) Is anyone here familiar with this design? If so, could you please provide feedback?
    2) For a similar price, does a more modern driver ML TL 2- ways make sense, such as Paul's Brioso ML TL Using a Scan Speak 18W/8531G00 Woofer and a Transducer Lab N26CR2-A? (Albeit, I don't know if he is even sharing this design data)

Thank you.
    The Vianadi 3-way tower speaker is a Rhythm Audio Design with crossover by Dennis Murphy. This is a truly hi-end speaker that will delight any audiophile.
    Last edited by e6zion; 03-09-2018, 05:32 PM.

I don't know how you would beat a combination like Dennis Murphy and Paul Kittinger.
    No matter where you go, there you are.
    Website

Comment

I've pondered that design too. I have the upper 2/3 of the CanTilena, but like you, the woofers are just beyond my arbitrary audio toys budget. I had pieced together the mid & ribbon portion with the CanTilena crossover, sitting on a decent Usher woofer. It was just for fun - no measurements or sims. But the sound was amazing enough to keep hoping I might some day stumble over a big wad of cash to buy the Revelator woofers.
      Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Comment

Originally posted by e6zion View Post
        I was looking for a lower cost alternative to the
        canTiLena Speaker for a three way--that SS revelator woofer is just over budget. I stumbled upon the Vianadi. I see no reference to this design anywhere else. The driver selectionis similar (MT) with a different woofer. The crossover was also designed by Dennis Murphy vs Rick Craig.

The Vianadi uses Scan-Speak Discovery, 22W/8534G00, 8" woofer (rather than SS22W/8857T00) mated with Morel’s MDM55 midrange and Fountek’s NeoX 1.0 Ribbon Tweeter
        Meanwhile, the CanTilena is an 8" SS22W/8857T00 Woofer, in a single-fold 77" long ML TL, with a Morel MDM55 Midrange and a Fountek NeoCD1.0 Ribbon Tweeter.

1) Is anyone here familiar with this design? If so, could you please provide feedback?
        2) For a similar price, does a more modern driver ML TL 2- ways make sense, such as Paul's Brioso ML TL Using a Scan Speak 18W/8531G00 Woofer and a Transducer Lab N26CR2-A? (Albeit, I don't know if he is even sharing this design data)

Thank you.
        Since the T-labs is NLA . . .
        R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
        "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Wow, thank you for the quick responses. I've been reading this forum for a few years (but not posted due to signup issues) and just want to say thank you to the members here. Your knowledge and willingness to help and share on these boards have been really helpful for a complete novice like me.

Comment

I designed a similar 3 way that uses the same ribbon tweeter, the round flange version of the MDM55 (the CAM558), and an Usher 8945A woofer. It's my favorite design so far.
            Craig

Comment

A mains
              The Ventures
              Open Invit8tions
              RSR
              Sound Troopers
              Acorns
              DGBG's
              The Monuments

Comment

Timely post.

I just purchased the Vianadi plans yesterday. Would also be curious if there are any previous builders willing to post some feedback. Trying to convince my brother to try them out.

My intent is to build a variation of the CanTiLena for myself using the Fostex F200A (which i already own) in place of the spendy SS woofers. The specs are surprisingly similar .

Also have the plans for the Bob Brines TL for the Fostex to use for the cabinet design. Thought it would be fun to set them up with the option to be run full range or as a 3 way (maybe even a 2 way with only the Fostex and ribbon tweeter).

Comment

I used the 4 ohm version of SS 22W in a giant 2.1 boombox. A very nice woofer.with higher sensitivity. But it needs a larger cabinet (1.8 to 2.0 ft3) for an F3 in the 30s. And it runs out of xmax approaching 50 W.

Comment

I agree with you on Usher woofers and I've used some myself. Comparing the SS Revelator woofer I used in the canTiLena to the SS Discovery woofer in the Vianadi, the Rev has an Xmax of 9 mm versus 5.8 mm for the Discovery and the Rev's Xlim is also larger than that of the Discovery. So, the Rev woofer will move more air without strain; however, unless one is trying to rattle the windows, and ignoring specific differences in distortion characteristics between the two woofers, I suspect there'd be little audible differences discernible to most people on most music. OTOH if one has the money, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Revelator.
                    Paul

Originally posted by 6thplanet View Post
                    Usher woofers are no slouch, can’t see the SS woofers being that much greater to justify the price. Then again what do I know, Paul has a lot more MWAF wins than me

Comment

SS definitely makes some nice eye candy, and they sound good alright!
                      A mains
                      The Ventures
                      Open Invit8tions
                      RSR
                      Sound Troopers
                      Acorns
                      DGBG's
                      The Monuments

Comment

Bummer. I guess T-Labs is completely defunct now. If anyone is interested in building the Briosos, Mark at "Men.....Aud.." still has 4 pairs of the tweeter available.
                        Paul

Since the T-labs is NLA . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Paul K. View Post
                          I agree with you on Usher woofers and I've used some myself. Comparing the SS Revelator woofer I used in the canTiLena to the SS Discovery woofer in the Vianadi, the Rev has an Xmax of 9 mm versus 5.8 mm for the Discovery and the Rev's Xlim is also larger than that of the Discovery. So, the Rev woofer will move more air without strain; however, unless one is trying to rattle the windows, and ignoring specific differences in distortion characteristics between the two woofers, I suspect there'd be little audible differences discernible to most people on most music. OTOH if one has the money, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Revelator.
                          Paul

Paul ,have you delved farther such as SS Illuminator or any of the AT woofs for any of your projects?

Comment

When I first designing the Brioso I had planned on using the SS 18W 4-ohm Illuminator along with a T-Labs Be tweeter, but switched to the 8-ohm Revelator and T-Labs ceramic tweeter to "save" ~$200 per cabinet, which ended up completely paying for the crossover components. I really don't think the Illuminator drivers are worth their higher prices and whatever benefits they might have I doubt I would be able to hear. I've never considered using AT drivers at all.
                            Paul

Originally posted by Squidspeak View Post
                            Paul ,have you delved farther such as SS Illuminator or any of the AT woofs for any of your projects?

Comment

The Scan woofer in the canTiLena paired with Pauls MLTL is the star of the show!

Comment

Working...
                              X