No announcement yet.

I got tired of painting and tried this.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got tired of painting and tried this.

I found speaker floating the internet, and kind of liked the look. While not exactly like what I saw, I think these still turned out nice.

Wrapped speaker with grill cloth, over the MDF. Then added a 3/4 pine woof on the top and bottom. They almost don't even look like speakers.

Attached Files
    On the cheap diy. That is my motto - www.hifiposse.com

Love it! simple is good.

Comment

They remind me of Time Frame speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by kenrhodes View Post
        They remind me of Time Frame speakers.
        Just took a look. And yes I can kind of see that.

Comment

looks great. where are the input terminals?

Comment

I like them! They remind me of surface mount resistors . This is how the golden ear speakers are done. Many years ago I owned a pair of Phase Tech 7T towers and they were done like that as well.

https://www.google.com/search?q=phas...uDKkubD3mvt2M:
            Projects:

Breezy Monitors: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...reezy-monitors
            transcenD: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...5035-transcend
            Summits: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...75-The-Summits
            References: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-My-References
            Vintage Style 2-way: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-vintage-2-way

Comment

I am liking this a lot. Could you provide some details about how to do it? Could you specify the fabric? Is the fabric sewn into tube and slipped over the speaker? How is it attached at the top and bottom? How are the top and bottom pine caps attached? Any other hints as to what you did to get such a nice result would be appreciated, this is an approach to finishing that could make life easier for a lot of builders. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by ceiol View Post
                looks great. where are the input terminals?

Input terminal and port is on the back. I will take a picture tomorrow.

Comment

They look very nice. But definitely look like speakers to the "more seasoned" members - there was a period in time for that look.

FYI: JoAnne's fabrics sells one basic speaker cloth - a basic black, fairly thin with a little stretch. It's $10 a 60" wide yard, and, I believe, continually on sale for $5.99 per yard. And for the small speaker gents, JoAnne's will sell it by the foot. I bought 1/2 a yard for $3 and that's enough for the grills on my original Large Advent speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by Drjay View Post
                    I am liking this a lot. Could you provide some details about how to do it? Could you specify the fabric? Is the fabric sewn into tube and slipped over the speaker? How is it attached at the top and bottom? How are the top and bottom pine caps attached? Any other hints as to what you did to get such a nice result would be appreciated, this is an approach to finishing that could make life easier for a lot of builders. Thanks!

1. The the fabric is just speaker cloth purchased from PE.

2. I spray adhesive glued. But yes my next try is going to sew into a tube. I thought of that after I glued the grill cloth on. Seem is on the back.

3. On the top and bottom I simply folded the material in, glued it and trimmed it.

4. Nail gunned the pine top and bottom.

5. Recessed the driver.

6. Yes my goal was a quick easy finish that looks good. Nice things is grill cloth comes in a few colors.

https://www.parts-express.com/parts-...-wide--260-335

Comment

The very cool part of this look/design, you could hide any sort of weird shapes and surfaces
                      under the cloth, like time alignment or diffraction control...
                      Guess xmax's age.

My guess: 15. His grammar is passable. His trolling is good.

Comment

Originally posted by xmax View Post
                        The very cool part of this look/design, you could hide any sort of weird shapes and surfaces
                        under the cloth, like time alignment or diffraction control...

One bad thing though. If you have a really cool driver you would not want to hide it. The driver I used was kind of ugly so it worked out great.

Comment

That is a lot more interesting looking than I would have thought it would be. Yeah, Dynamo, I see the surface mount form in that for sure.
                          I saw this same look in my red RadioShack speaker building book lots of years ago, but have not really seen many in real life.

A plus is that you could kind of go crazy and get the finish nearly perfect on the top/bottom since there are only 4 boards to contend with.

I'm thinking I would use 4 dowels to locate each panel, and then throw a few of those neo magnets to do the final 'holding' of each panel. Take 'em off and slide the cloth tube off to service the drivers.

Cool Man!

TomZ
                          *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
                          *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

A mains
                            The Ventures
                            Open Invit8tions
                            RSR
                            Sound Troopers
                            Acorns
                            DGBG's
                            The Monuments

Comment

Originally posted by 6thplanet View Post
                              I can tell you that sewing grill cloth is a pain in the bottom. It’s the thinness and stretchyness of the material that makes it difficult to work with on a sewing machine.
                              Yeah, it sounds frustrating to sew. Maybe it would be best to glue the grill cloth into a tube instead of sew it? Well, if you can successfully glue grill cloth to itself, anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X