No announcement yet.

I got tired of painting and tried this.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spank the monkey before he spanks you. If you are a fan of film director Kevin Smith you get it if not pay no attention.

Comment

Definitive Technology did a similar thing with their "BP" line back in the late 90's, early 2000's (BP2000, BP2002, etc). The BP2000 was a beast of a speaker back in 1996.

http://noaudiophile.com/Definitive_T...ogy_BP2000.jpg

They were called a "sock". The issue is always the seem. Definitive never really displayed it, but they have a seem in the back down the middle. It would be nice to source a continues circle of fabric.

Here's a good shot showing the breakdown of how the sock and cap work.
      https://img.usaudiomart.com/uploads/...r_speakers.jpg

It is a beautiful design, as it does hide lots of surface imperfections.

Comment

Originally posted by SoltanGris42 View Post

Yeah, it sounds frustrating to sew. Maybe it would be best to glue the grill cloth into a tube instead of sew it? Well, if you can successfully glue grill cloth to itself, anyway.

My first attempt at making the seam. Turned out beautiful so far! Not stretched over speaker yet. The seem should tighten up
        Attached Files
        Last edited by hobbyhands; 03-12-2018, 10:01 PM.
        On the cheap diy. That is my motto - www.hifiposse.com

Comment

May neighbor has a pair of Vandersteen Model 2 (or one its variations). I never though to look at the back, I will.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Vandersteen Model 2.png
Views:	1
Size:	518.9 KB
ID:	1368981

Comment

A few more pics. A variation this time. Front and back are wood instead of top and bottom. Still, need to stain the wood.
            Attached Files

Comment

I really like this idea vs the end cap configuration. I like the wood grain looking at you. Glenn.

Comment

LOL somebody beat me to it.
                Guess xmax's age.

My guess: 15. His grammar is passable. His trolling is good.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbyhands View Post
                  A few more pics. A variation this time. Front and back are wood instead of top and bottom. Still, need to stain the wood.
                  They came out really nice. The seam looks perfect!
                  I've been wasting money on veneer this whole time!
                  TomZ
                  *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
                  *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Originally posted by xmax View Post
                    LOL somebody beat me to it.
                    ​I was actually the first in this thread to mention Vandersteen, however, without photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Drummer View Post
                      Those look like baby versions of my sda 1cs that I have in my big room. The Polks have the grill cloth adhered to side pieces that are affixed to the cabinet side with double sided tape, and the end caps are solid oak. Big ol' monkey coffins! You should name those " The Little Monkeys". Or "The Capuchins". Ooh, "Organ Grinders" would work! ✌Nice looking speakers. Glenn.
                      ​Too much monkeying around going on here!
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	monkeybutt.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	1369023

Comment

Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post

They came out really nice. The seam looks perfect!
                        I've been wasting money on veneer this whole time!
                        TomZ

I have no sewing skills so I ended using this stuff. Easy to get a straight line, and it's tough!!!! It won't pull apart. I used this video as a tutorial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGIMXZVPhhA

Comment

Wrapped speaker with grill cloth, over the MDF.
                          Was it wrapped around raw MDF? If so, can you see changes in light between areas were the cloth is on the MDF versus over a driver?

Comment

I did a quick spray paint over the MDF in black. Literally took me 2 minutes to give a quick spray over. So it blends in with the mesh. And you can see the driver just a bit if you look close.

Comment

I did a quick spray paint over the MDF in black. Literally took me 2 minutes to give a quick spray over. So it blends in with the mesh. And you can see the driver just a bit if you look close.
                              Thanks. I building new grills for my Large Advents with black speaker cloth. I had sprayed the bare MDF with black and wanted to know if that was necessary.

Comment

I have no sewing skills so I ended using this stuff. Easy to get a straight line, and it's tough!!!! It won't pull apart. I used this video as a tutorial.
                                I wonder if you that tape would stick directly to mdf? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X