Veneers Oh the choices

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veneers Oh the choices

I would like to attempt to veneer the boxes I am working on. I am not a great craftsmen so I need to prep (sand, and smooth out imperfections.) and then choose the type of veneer.

How do I best prep any imprecations and how do I choose the style of veneer?

Box surfaces and joints do not need to be perfect, just pretty good. Major imperfections should be filled with wood putty and sanded smooth.
    Use paper backed veneer, use Heat-Lock iron on glue.
    cut your veneer pieces about 1/2 inch bigger on each side, and tape them down on a piece of cardboard, all around, then brush on the glue.

hope this helps.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
    "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
    SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
    My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Don't forget to seal any mdf edges. I just brush on slightly diluted Titebond and sand it smooth once it's dry. And go very easy sanding the edges & corners of the veneer. You can guess how I learned that lesson...
      Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Comment

Tom Zarbo has some good videos on you tube. I also liked Bill Schneider's veneer guide. It's nice that he set up a new page, http://www.afterness.com/audio/veneering.html. Start with cheap veneer until you get the hang of it.
        John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

second vote for TomZ's veneer videos

really great technique -- I was a complete novice and I accomplished these:

Comment

The NBL line of veneers is worth checking out. They have several choices but the 2 ply vs. most paperback 10 mil. will give better results on MDF edges. Not to say if you spend the time to treat MDF edges properly you need the 2 ply but less work vs. cost of veneer. It really should be a sticky about dealing with MDF edges for both
            ​veneer and painted. This question comes up a lot so, how about a sticky PE? I am starting classes on the subject but no one wants to travel to 08087 to learn.

Comment

ceiol - those are gorgeous. Especially that boombox. Is that Sapele?

Yeah, Tom Z does amazing work, as does Bill Schneider. I envy anyone who can make a speaker look like real furniture.
              Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Comment

Originally posted by tom_s View Post

Yeah, Tom Z does amazing work, as does Bill Schneider. I envy anyone who can make a speaker look like real furniture.
                Your boombox speakers (Heliums?) look a lot like what Matt Clara is contemplating for his boombox build. It would be helpful if you posted in this thread your power (volts, batteries, etc.) and the maximum volume you get from it as a reference for Matt (lest he dives in to a full 24 V system without the need.

BTW: The box and speakers look very nice.

Comment

Awesome. Thanks everyone. I will watch the youtube videos.

Comment

Originally posted by tom_s View Post

Yes, Sapele veneer on the boombox

Originally posted by Millstonemike View Post
                    Your boombox speakers (Heliums?) look a lot like what Matt Clara is contemplating for his boombox build. It would be helpful if you posted in this thread your power (volts, batteries, etc.) and the maximum volume you get from it as a reference for Matt (lest he dives in to a full 24 V system without the need.

BTW: The box and speakers look very nice.
                    will do -- here's info on my Dr Pepper boombox

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...pepper-boombox

Comment

Originally posted by Squidspeak View Post
                      The NBL line of veneers is worth checking out. They have several choices but the 2 ply vs. most paperback 10 mil. will give better results on MDF edges. Not to say if you spend the time to treat MDF edges properly you need the 2 ply but less work vs. cost of veneer. It really should be a sticky about dealing with MDF edges for both
                      ​veneer and painted. This question comes up a lot so, how about a sticky PE? I am starting classes on the subject but no one wants to travel to 08087 to learn.
                      Thanks for this. Yeah I guess in the information age we have gotten lazy

Comment

Originally posted by ceiol View Post

Yes, Sapele veneer on the boombox

will do -- here's info on my Dr Pepper boombox

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...pepper-boombox

Speaking of your Dr Pepper boombox, I was looking for more build details and inside pics, especially on how all the electronics are hooked up and located.
                        I would really like to make a portable boombox and this looks like one of the most comprehensive with all the electronics working together, etc. (really nice looking too).

Thanks, Andy.

Comment

IIRC, you've mentioned not having a lot of tools. MDF buttjointed cabs will have the joints ghost through the veneer if the corners aren't square. My super cheap Black and Decker random orbital sander has lasted for years. Just a suggestion.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                            X